PDA

View Full Version : Can't use 2 usb connected hard drives simultaneously - Windows 7.

bigdog
12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I have a ACER laptop with Windows 7

I have two western digital 1.5 TB hard drives connected by USB and when both are connected I can only see one of the HDD's. I can connect and see each provided I only attach one at a time.

They came from the factory with the same unique ID. Windows thinks it's the same disk.

If the disk status is Offline and the disk's name changes to Missing, the disk was recently available on the system but can no longer be located or identified.

The fix:
>Control Panel
>Administrative Tools
>Computer Management
>Storage
>Disk Management

disk 1 should be status "online"

disk 2 is status is "offline" and right click "Online" should get you back in business until the drives are disconnected.

The attachment shows disk 2 is now "Online"

Paul
12-06-2010, 06:04 PM
If Windows sees them as the same disk, then unfortunately there's nothing Mezzmo can do. I'm surprised that they would have the same "unique" ID though. I'd recommend asking about this on the WD forums as well - it should be a common issue and maybe there's some fix or a firmware update or a setting that can be changed?

bigdog
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM
If Windows sees them as the same disk, then unfortunately there's nothing Mezzmo can do. I'm surprised that they would have the same "unique" ID though. I'd recommend asking about this on the WD forums as well - it should be a common issue and maybe there's some fix or a firmware update or a setting that can be changed?

Dennis, when you implement my fix outlined below, Mezzmo sees both drives and there are no issues.
-- this has solved all my Mezzmo and Windows Explorer issues

Windows Explorer also sees both HDD's and you can transfer files from say E: to F:
-- if the HDD's are different manufacturers there is no problem.

I posted this fix because I had problems and it took me a few days to solve the problem.

FrankVincent
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi
Using the VolumeID utility from sysinternals might be a solution if same ID causing problems.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897436.aspx

To see the current ID use the command vol from the command prompt.
Are they the same on both drives?

Paul
12-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Dennis, when you implement my fix outlined below, Mezzmo sees both drives and there are no issues.
-- this has solved all my Mezzmo and Windows Explorer issues

Windows Explorer also sees both HDD's and you can transfer files from say E: to F:
-- if the HDD's are different manufacturers there is no problem.

I posted this fix because I had problems and it took me a few days to solve the problem.
Yes, I understand the fix and thank you for posting that - I'm sure somebody will hit the same issue and will then quickly find your solution.