PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles in Hebrew are displayed in gibberish

ram_c
11-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Hi
I have a Samsung TV (UE65NU8000). I use Mezzmo software (the latest version) on my computer, which connects to the TV via wifi.
The files play on my TV without a problem, but the hebrew subtitles are shown in gibberish (i use regular srt file).
In my TV settings, I changed the subtitle language to Hebrew, and in the software, under "subtitles" and "global setting",
I set the language to 'hebrew' and in 'code page' I tried all the different options of Hebrew language (862,1255 etc.) -
and I still get gibberish.
I would like to point out, that on my previous TV (also from Samsung, ua55f7500) after I changed the settings as I mentioned above -
the subtitles were shown in hebrew, so I can not figure out what's wrong.

Thank you,
Ram.

p.s
I attach the translation file.

Peter
11-19-2018, 10:50 AM
The srt file is encoded in ANSI without any information for the TV to know how to decode it. On your PC the locale is probably set so that the character set is decoded correctly but you may need to open the file in a text editor like notepad then select 'Save As...' and set the type to UTF8 so that the character encoding is saved in the file.

ram_c
11-19-2018, 04:18 PM
The srt file is encoded in ANSI without any information for the TV to know how to decode it. On your PC the locale is probably set so that the character set is decoded correctly but you may need to open the file in a text editor like notepad then select 'Save As...' and set the type to UTF8 so that the character encoding is saved in the file.

hi
I don't think the problem is on the TV or in the subtitile file, because when I connect the TV to a USB flash drive with
The subtitle file along with the movie file, the subtitles appear in Hebrew properly.

ram.

Peter
11-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Can you please go to the properties of the file in Mezzmo then on the subtitles tab select the subtitle and click on ‘Subtitle Settings’ then set the Language for the subtitle to Hebrew if it is not already set and this should show the characters correctly in the preview window. Then click OK and try streaming the file on the TV to see if the subtitles appear correctly.