PDA

View Full Version : Soft Coding Subtitles

Bahgar
03-31-2019, 10:28 PM
I use Mezzmo and a Sony W800B TV and "Sony Bravia KDL 2014 Models" as profile.

I can soft code my subtitles using MKVToolNix in seconds and then use Mezzmo to watch the video with subtitle on my TV. If I use Mezzmo it tries to remux the file which takes a much longer time.
But why can't Mezzmo do the soft coding part as MKVToolNix does so I don't have to use another software for soft coding the subtitle?

Peter
04-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Mezzmo can embed subtitles in the file but this requires transcoding which remuxes the audio and video into the transcoded file along with the subtitles. MKVToolNix may be using a different method to embed the subtitles in the file.

Bahgar
04-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Mezzmo can embed subtitles in the file but this requires transcoding which remuxes the audio and video into the transcoded file along with the subtitles. MKVToolNix may be using a different method to embed the subtitles in the file.

Thanks for your reply but you just repeated what I said. The question is when it's possible to carry out a task in a matter of seconds wouldn't it be stupid to do it in minutes!?

smitbret
04-02-2019, 06:37 AM
I don't know if I follow.

The process is the same whether MKVToolnix or Mezzmo is remuxing the file. My only guess is that there are a couple of SSD's in the workflow when you use MKVToolnix and there is a platter drive in the workflow with Mezzmo. Remuxing speed is almost 100% dependent on I/O speed of your drives. I always figure it takes about 30-45 seconds/GB to remux video files with MKVToolnix on my platter drives, so I don't know how you'd remux 30GB in "seconds" unless both your source and destination are SSDs.

Otherwise, I am not sure what you mean by "Soft Code".

UPDATE: FWIW, I decided to remux a 9.08GB file with MKVToolnix from spinning platter to another spinning platter and timed it at 6 minutes and 42 seconds.