PDA

View Full Version : Easy FF/Rew in video files

costero
12-03-2019, 09:16 AM
I love Mezzmo, and have for years, but lately I've reverted to watching flicks from a USB drive rather than Mezzmo for just this one reason:

With the USB drive, when I want to move to a forward point in a movie -- say, the 45-minute mark -- I push the center button on my remote and something like "chapters" appear above the progress bar. I can click up, then right three times (to the 3rd chapter), and voilá, I'm at 45 minutes.

With Mezzmo, those chapters never appear -- so, to get to the 45-minute mark is super time-consuming and error-prone.

I did read this thread --> http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6046-Tutorial-How-to-fast-forward-rewind-(FF-REW)-on-your-Samsung-TV?highlight=move+point+video

...that maybe addresses this issue? I'm not sure. But if yes, please tell me how I can get those little chapter boxes in Mezzmo.

My TV is a Samsung NU8000.

Peter
12-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Please see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/1836-A-Guide-to-Chaptering-on-Samsung-TVs for more information about chaptering

costero
12-05-2019, 08:17 AM
OK, I tried the MTA workaround, but it does not work on my Samsung NU8000.
It's odd that I *do* get chaptering when I use a USB drive plugged into the TV, but not with Mezzmo.
I understand that it's hit and miss with Samsung, and I appreciate your help -- but this means that I'll mostly use USB rather than Mezzmo. :-(

Peter
12-05-2019, 09:00 AM
It may also require adding the following to the device profile in the <device></device> section:

<samsungchaptering duration="15" numchapters="5"></samsungchaptering>

Which profile are you using for your TV?

costero
12-05-2019, 12:00 PM
I'm using the Samsung N profile.
If that profile needs to be edited, where do I find the file on my PC?

Peter
12-05-2019, 01:20 PM
You will find it in c:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo\DeviceProfiles. This folder may be hidden so you might need to type it in to Windows explorer.

costero
12-05-2019, 05:35 PM
The edit to the profile did not solve the problem: still no chapters.
I restarted the Mezzmo server, and also did a library maintain.

Peter
12-06-2019, 11:54 AM
It may also need extended="1" in the attributes of the <name></name> tag. The samsung c profile has support for chapters (SamsungLA.prf) but certain features do not work when using this profile with newer TVs so you can use this as a guide to modifying the Samsung N profile.

costero
12-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Sorry, I don't understand.
In the N profile, I don't see any tags for <name></name>.
In the C profile (the one I found is "SamsungC_DD_5_1.prf"), the same: no <name> tags.
Are you saying I need to add those tags?
If yes, can you please give me the complete string?
I.e., tell me
a) exactly what needs to be added
b) to which profile, and
c) where I'm supposed to add or edit it in the profile.

Peter
12-06-2019, 04:27 PM
At the top of the Samsung N profile you will find:
<name manufacturer="Samsung" model="N" profileactive="1" needsfileextension="1" needsdlnaprotocolinfo="1" supportsbookmarks="1" respectfeaturetyperequest="2" chunkedresponse="0" ignoresoaplimit="1" />
In there you need to add the attribute extended="1" so that it becomes:
<name manufacturer="Samsung" model="N" profileactive="1" needsfileextension="1" needsdlnaprotocolinfo="1" supportsbookmarks="1" respectfeaturetyperequest="2" chunkedresponse="0" ignoresoaplimit="1" extended="1"/>
This should enable the MTA creation.

costero
12-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Did the edits, did a maintain library, did a server restart, and still no chapters.
Sorry.

Peter
12-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Do the chapters work when using allshare from Samsung?

costero
12-09-2019, 11:22 AM
I've never tried it.

Peter
12-09-2019, 11:36 AM
It might be worth testing to see if the TV supports chapters via streaming as not all TVs support this.

costero
12-09-2019, 11:56 AM
I tried (just now) Samsung's SmartView -- which replaces AllShare -- and I cannot get it to work.
The SmartView app on my PC cannot find my TV, even though they're on the same hardwired network.

Thanks for your effort, but it really isn't worth it to me to continue to troubleshoot, just to get chapters.
I'll use my USB drive when I need chapters, and Mezzmo when I don't.