Thread: Speed up opening a playlist

Default Speed up opening a playlist

Ive got Mezzmo running on an HP Proliant server. I use an HTPC running Kodi and an Amazon fire to view.

Quite a few playlists seem to take quite a long time to open. Just wondered if there is a way of speeding this up (though I have a lot in my library so maybe not ?)

Are you running the Kodi addon or accessing Mezzmo natively with Kodi via a uPNP link ? One thing I did a few years back was to move the Mezzmo database to an SSD to help with performance. How large are the slow playlists (i.e. how many entries) and how slow are they with regards to # of second to load ?
    Last edited by jbinkley60; 05-23-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    Are you running the Kodi addon or accessing Mezzmo natively with Kodi via a uPNP link ? One thing I did a few years back was to move the Mezzmo database to an SSD to help with performance. How large are the slow playlists (i.e. how many entries) and how slow are they with regards to # of second to load ?
    I could likely put an SSD in there and put mezzmo on it - assuming you can move the mezzmo library, which I recall you can.

Im using the kodi add on in both cases. the kodi device is wired and the fire is wireless - although the time (which seems to vary) seems similar on both.
    Just time opening my movies folder (with around 500 entries) and it took 52 seconds.

I tested a 500 element playlist with the latest version of the addon and Kodi DB change checking enabled. It took 9 seconds. Which version of the addon are you using ? If it is one of the more recent versions I have posted, which features are enabled in the Content Control tab ? If you are using a newer version and Kodi DB change detection is enabled, try disabling it and see what the timing difference is. If you are running a later version and disabling it makes a big difference then please look in your Kodi.log file after browsing a slow playlist with it change detection enabled and see if you see a lot of messages like these:

2020-05-21 13:47:53.602 T:25504 NOTICE: There was a Mezzmo streamdetails or artwork change detected: Desert Heat
    2020-05-21 13:47:53.648 T:25504 NOTICE: There was a Mezzmo metadata change detected: Hard Target
    2020-05-21 13:47:53.694 T:25504 NOTICE: There was a Mezzmo streamdetails or artwork change detected: Hard Target

This would indicate the Kodi DB is being written to and will slow down processing playlists waiting for the database writes to complete. If you see the same names in log messages consistently then you have movies with the exact same name and change detection is updating the Kodi DB each time it see the duplicate named movie.
    Last edited by jbinkley60; 05-24-2020 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    I tested a 500 element playlist with the latest version of the addon and Kodi DB change checking enabled. It took 9 seconds. Which version of the addon are you using ? If it is one of the more recent versions I have posted, which features are enabled in the Content Control tab ? If you are using a newer version and Kodi DB change detection is enabled, try disabling it and see what the timing difference is. If you are running a later version and disabling it makes a big difference then please look in your Kodi.log file after browsing a slow playlist with it change detection enabled and see if you see a lot of messages like these:

2020-05-21 13:47:53.602 T:25504 NOTICE: There was a Mezzmo streamdetails or artwork change detected: Desert Heat
    2020-05-21 13:47:53.648 T:25504 NOTICE: There was a Mezzmo metadata change detected: Hard Target
    2020-05-21 13:47:53.694 T:25504 NOTICE: There was a Mezzmo streamdetails or artwork change detected: Hard Target

This would indicate the Kodi DB is being written to and will slow down processing playlists waiting for the database writes to complete. If you see the same names in log messages consistently then you have movies with the exact same name and change detection is updating the Kodi DB each time it see the duplicate named movie.
    Switching the DB to SSD certainly seems to have helped.
    I tried installing latest zip having downloaded from github - but Kodi keeps telling me "failed to install zip file". Not looked as yet to see where the logs are stored so I dunno if they have any info as to why - but I dont see why there should be an issue - newer zip is similar to old one - which I obviously installed. (Perpahsp its not happy im trying to install and addon thats already there and I need to remove the old one first ? or use some update function somewhere)

You shouldn't have to remove the old version. It will update over top. You may need to reboot and then try again. I've seen some Linux versions running Kodi (i.e.. LibreElec, OSMC etc..) that will error out like this and a reboot fixes it. Try that and let me know. If not, I'll take a look and see if I can see anything. What is Kodi running on where you are trying to update the addon ?

In my case I put the mezzmo database on an SSD drive. Helped a lot.
    I also updated my plugin on the kodi device