Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a Mi Box

Default Anyone using a Mi Box

I just upgraded my projector to 4k and im pondering one for playing 4k content.

They are AFAICS just android boxes - just wondering if anyone has used one ?

I assume I would just be able to install the mezzmo app on one.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerRamone View Post
    I just upgraded my projector to 4k and im pondering one for playing 4k content.

They are AFAICS just android boxes - just wondering if anyone has used one ?

I assume I would just be able to install the mezzmo app on one.
    I haven't used one but some friends of mine have been giving the new Tivo Stream box good reviews. They run Kodi and integrate all of the major streaming services into a nice user interface. They don't do bitstream audio but do support 4K HEVC. Depending on your needs, this might be something to look at. I would imagine the Mezzmo Android app would work since this is an Android box.

Bitstream audio is important too - so sadly the Tivo would be no good. Thanks for the tip though.
    (I cant say that im certain that the Mi box supports it either - I have not as yet dug into what it can and cant do)

If you want bitstream and if it doesn't have to be Android, then the best low end box I can think of is the Vero 4K+. I have a couple and they work great. I use the Kodi client and addon. HEVC decoding in hardware and no problem with full bitrate across 5G wireless.

I have an nVidia Shield Pro, which runs AndroidTV, and it runs great. At some point, after the 4k supports gets fixed in the OS, I plan on building a test AndroidTV box on a Raspberry Pi 4B.

I am running a Raspberry Pi 4B with LibreElec and it can do 4K HEVC, H264 and more. No bitstream audio but no problem with 4K over 5G wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    I am running a Raspberry Pi 4B with LibreElec and it can do 4K HEVC, H264 and more. No bitstream audio but no problem with 4K over 5G wireless.
    I am going to be using AndroidTV rather than LibreElec. The current 4k issue with 4K HDR.... He doesn't decode it as HDR.

I assume I can run the mezzmo deely with the vero box ?
    Kodi doesnt play nice with mezzmo playlists

You cannot run the Mezzmo Android app on the Vero 4K+ box because the OS is Linux and not Android. However, Kodi works great with Mezzmo especially with the addon. I've added a number of enhancements to the addon to make it seamless with Kodi, including populating the Kodi database. If you try it and have issues, let me know. Here's a link to the thread. Fixes and enhancement turnaround time has been fairly quick. Others are using it and may comment on the integration with Kodi. The Kodi addon has functionality that the Mezzmo Android app doesn't, including integrated actor search.
    Last edited by jbinkley60; 06-18-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ftanner View Post
    I am going to be using AndroidTV rather than LibreElec. The current 4k issue with 4K HDR.... He doesn't decode it as HDR.
    4K HDR support is a problem on most platforms but is coming. OSMC, the OS for Vero 4K+, is testing the Linux 4.9 kernel and should have it soon. Kodi on Windows 10 on Intel NUC has it now due to Microsoft writing the Windows drivers for Intel. Over the next 6-9 months most every platform, except the old ones, will have HDR.