Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: media box NOT android - recomendation

Default media box NOT android - recomendation

Can somebody recommend media box (such old WD live, Mede8er, Iamm...) based on Linux OS that support 4K.

I don`t want andoid box. I had 3 android and had so much issues and problems with it, stuttering on playback over LAN from my PC. I don`t need it for playin games.
    LAN is must have. I have wired LAN all over my house. I don`t belive in wireless for 4K 100mb/s videos.

Dune media players aorund 500€ is too much for me but I see they are on some android OS ad well.

any suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by smirnoff View Post
    Can somebody recommend media box (such old WD live, Mede8er, Iamm...) based on Linux OS that support 4K.

I don`t want andoid box. I had 3 android and had so much issues and problems with it, stuttering on playback over LAN from my PC. I don`t need it for playin games.
    LAN is must have. I have wired LAN all over my house. I don`t belive in wireless for 4K 100mb/s videos.

Dune media players aorund 500€ is too much for me but I see they are on some android OS ad well.

any suggestion?
    The best option that I ever used was a Chromebox that booted directly into Kodi with the Mezzmo plugin. I used a FLIRC and old DirecTV remote (RC64, RC 65, RC66). If I hadn't wanted an all-in-one setup for Mezzmo, NetFlix, Amazon, etc., then I would still be using it. You could save a little cash (and give up a little performance) by using a RaspPi 3 instead of the Chromebox.

Quote Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    The best option that I ever used was a Chromebox that booted directly into Kodi with the Mezzmo plugin. I used a FLIRC and old DirecTV remote (RC64, RC 65, RC66). If I hadn't wanted an all-in-one setup for Mezzmo, NetFlix, Amazon, etc., then I would still be using it. You could save a little cash (and give up a little performance) by using a RaspPi 3 instead of the Chromebox.
    still too much money!!

in 2010 I bought WD live (2nd gen) and it work FLAWLESSLY since!! unfortunatly it can not run 4K or HDR, but I`v paid for this device under 100$!"!!

in 2013 I bought Iamm NTR 83 with DVB tuner so I can rec. TV programs in m2ts format and via SCART from my old VCR - paid only 80$ (used) - still work today, it has UPNP protocol so I can stream my movies via Mezzmo server, but not 4K...

so I`m looking for an alternative in 4K around 100$ (no TV tuner needed) Linux OS.

I'd suggest a Vero 4K+. I have a few of them running OSMC Linux with Kodi and the Mezzmo plugin. They work great for 4K and anything you can throw at them. They are less than $150 USD. I built a Raspberry Pi 4 running LIbreElec and it can do 4K HEVC and similar. One question you need to ask yourself is whether you need passthrough bitstream audio. If so many devices will not support it. The Vero 4K+ will. Support from OSMC is first class, like Mezzmo.

Quote Originally Posted by smirnoff View Post
    still too much money!!

in 2010 I bought WD live (2nd gen) and it work FLAWLESSLY since!! unfortunatly it can not run 4K or HDR, but I`v paid for this device under 100$!"!!

in 2013 I bought Iamm NTR 83 with DVB tuner so I can rec. TV programs in m2ts format and via SCART from my old VCR - paid only 80$ (used) - still work today, it has UPNP protocol so I can stream my movies via Mezzmo server, but not 4K...

so I`m looking for an alternative in 4K around 100$ (no TV tuner needed) Linux OS.
    So, you need to be in this under the $55 needed for a Raspberry Pi?

I think your budget needs a bump.

For your budget, if you're wanting true 4k hdr, I'm going to have to recommend the Roku devices, even though they're not really Linux based.

The Vero 4K+ has 4K HDR in beta right now. I don't think the Roku devices can do bitstream audio passthrough but am not really sure here. There's a also a client question / preference. It's basically either a Mezzmo client app (i.e. Roku, Android etc..) or Kodi with the Mezzmo addon (i.e. Windows, LibreElec, OSMC / Vero 4k, OpenElec etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    The Vero 4K+ has 4K HDR in beta right now. I don't think the Roku devices can do bitstream audio passthrough but am not really sure here. There's a also a client question / preference. It's basically either a Mezzmo client app (i.e. Roku, Android etc..) or Kodi with the Mezzmo addon (i.e. Windows, LibreElec, OSMC / Vero 4k, OpenElec etc...).
    There is a Mezzmo Roku app, but it uses the Roku Media Player as the play engine.... But then the Mezzmo Android app uses VLC, so there's that. Based on my research, the Roku devices don't support passthrough.

As far as client... Any client that supports DLNA playing will work. For instance, I have used VLC and MX Player both to play from Mezzmo. I did have to use a helper app with MX Player though.

Quote Originally Posted by ftanner View Post
    There is a Mezzmo Roku app, but it uses the Roku Media Player as the play engine.... But then the Mezzmo Android app uses VLC, so there's that. Based on my research, the Roku devices don't support passthrough.

As far as client... Any client that supports DLNA playing will work. For instance, I have used VLC and MX Player both to play from Mezzmo. I did have to use a helper app with MX Player though.
    The Mezzmo app is based on the ExoPlayer, VLC has to be set as the default app.

Quote Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    The Mezzmo app is based on the ExoPlayer, VLC has to be set as the default app.
    Interesting... That's not what was said in a previous thread by Peter. He said that it used the VLC.DLL.