Thread: Sorting by disc when sorting by track to list tracks on each disc in order

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sorting by disc when sorting by track to list tracks on each disc in order

Well, I don't think this is working quite as I had hoped

In music, drilling down into the out of the box "Album Artist" playlists. In my original feature request, I used this example:

To listen to any double album (or more, like Wagner's Ring) each disc in the collection has to have a different value for the "Album" field. As an example, I have to have "Album Name [D1]" for the first disc, and "Album Name [D2]" for the second disc. This means that to have any album play all the way through, I have to either create a customized playlist with all of the song in order, or let Disc 1 play through, then change to another playlist, and let Disc 2 play all the way through. to listen to all the songs on a given album in order.

If I tag all of the songs in a given album with the same Album tag value, I have to renumber them. Say there are 10 songs on Disc 1. I need to renumber disc 2 to start at '11' and so on.

What would be desired is that when creating any auto-generated playlist, Mezzmo takes the Disc tag into account when properly tagged (or modified in the Mezzmo database directly). So what the result is that I would get is that songs are ordered first by disc number, then by track number. So using Pink Floyd's "The Wall" as an example, the result would be:

Album Artist --> Pink Floyd --> The Wall

Disc 1, Track 1, In the Flesh?
    Disc 1, Track 2, The Thin Ice
    Disc 1, Track 13, Goodbye Cruel World
    Disc 2, Track 1, Hey You
    Disc 2, Track 2, Is There Anybody Out There?
    etc, etc, etc...

What happens now is if the value for the 'Album' tag is the same across all discs, Mezzmo orders by track number and then randomly, which is not correct (I'd call it a bug myself):

Disc 1, Track 1, In The Flesh?
    Disc 2, Track 1, Hey You
    Disc 2, Track 3, Nobody Home
    Disc 1, Track 3, Another Brick in the Wall, Part I

Mezzmo should absolutely order all tracks first by disc number, then by track number, in any place where the 'Disc' tag is properly populated. It seems as though Mezzmo ignores the 'Disc' tag completely when indexing music. It's really very frustrating, as I have to rename all of my albums as though they are 2 different albums by the same artist, and I can't just click "Play" on double albums, and have the whole album play all the way through without doing a lot of workarounds. This should be REALLY easy to repro and fix.
    Last edited by hsbrown2; 09-27-2020 at 09:57 AM.

I haven't tried it with albums yet but with TV series it works perfect, just like you described. It will put the first season first (episodes 1 to X) and then the second season (episodes 1 to X) etc... I'll try to give it a shot when I get some time and see if I am seeing the same thing.

Jeff

I just tested a 3 disc audio set and it worked fine. You need to ensure that the disc and tracks are set properly in the properties tab for the audio tracks. Mine all still said disc 0 and I had to change them to disc 1, disc 2 and disc 3 but with a shift multi-select it was very quick. Once I fixed this it worked perfectly.

Jeff

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

No joy. They are all correctly set, unless I am missing something.

Adding to this...

Maybe where wires are being crossed is in the fact that I am using the out-of-the-box active playlist that is at the "Album" level of the "Album Artist" playlist. At the album level, with the out-of-the-box playlists, I have one option to modify. You can only sort these by a single criteria. Default is "Track/Episode (Ascending)". I can select "Disc/Season (Ascending)", but then each track is just sorted alphabetically, but grouped by the disc number.

"Track/Episode (Ascending)" *should* always sort by "Disc/Season (Ascending)", then by "Track/Episode (Ascending)" by default. Or there should be some sort of option to select that does this. But I can't find it.

A little bit more to add to this. I was able to construct a query that gives me what I want - although I can't say for sure if I'm using the correct tables that Mezzmo actually uses to build playlists. However what I can say is this query returns exactly what I want (for the particular album ID - in this case The Wall is 4192):

SELECT File,Disc,Track
    FROM MGOFile
    WHERE ID IN
    (SELECT FileID
    FROM MGOFileAlbumRelationship
    WHERE ID LIKE '4192')
    ORDER BY Disc,Track

The results return this (imagine it as a playlist). Sorry for the formatting, but you could paste it into a grid I suspect:

D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\In the Flesh!.flac 1 1
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\The Thin Ice.flac 1 2
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1.flac 1 3
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\The Happiest Days of our Lives.flac 1 4
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2.flac 1 5
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\Mother.flac 1 6
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\Goodbye Blue Sky.flac 1 7
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\Empty Spaces.flac 1 8
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\Young Lust.flac 1 9
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\One of My Turns.flac 1 10
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\Don't Leave Me Now.flac 1 11
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\Another Brick in the Wall, Part 3.flac 1 12
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 1\Goodbye Cruel World.flac 1 13
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Hey You.flac 2 1
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Is There Anybody Out There!.flac 2 2
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Nobody Home.flac 2 3
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Vera.flac 2 4
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Bring the Boys Back Home.flac 2 5
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Comfortably Numb.flac 2 6
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\The Show Must Go On.flac 2 7
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\In the Flesh.flac 2 8
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Run Like Hell.flac 2 9
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Waiting For the Worms.flac 2 10
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Stop.flac 2 11
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\The Trial.flac 2 12
    D:\Music\Pink Floyd\The Wall\Disc 2\Outside the Wall.flac 2 13
    Last edited by hsbrown2; 10-03-2020 at 10:29 AM.