Thread: New network configuration, new issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New network configuration, new issues

Hi all,
    I have changed a little bit my home network config and I had some issues with the mezzmo streaming.

My rig is so composed:
    - Intel NUC8i5BEH as server (mezzmo 6.0.6.0 installed here)
    - QNAP NAS TS-832X as media repository

the server has M.2 drive and lot of ram, the nas has 7 disks, just in case you could think my issues came from possible bottleneck on the hardware.

my network config before the change:
    - 1Gbit router (192.168.1.x IPs)
    |_ 1Gbit Switch to connect the TVs
    |_ 1Gbit Switch to connect multiple devices (the NUC take internet connection from here)

then, because the NAS has 2SFP+ 10Gbit port, I connected the NUC (using the QNAP QNA-T310G1S thunderbolt-SFP+ adapter as network card) and another PC to the NAS via this 10Gbit connection.
    Everything was configured to create such 2 separate subnetworks with differents IP ranges (192.168.2.x) so that I could force access to the NAS using different IPs

till now, everything worked grate, the NUC took file from the NAS using the 10Gbit network and Mezzmo worked nice and smooth.

Today I decided to buy a new SFP+ 10Gbit Switch. This has 1 RJ45 1Gbit port used to connect it to the main router and 4 SFP+ port I used to connect the NAS, the NUC and another PC.
    my network config after the change:
    - 1Gbit router (192.168.1.x IPs)
    |_ 1Gbit Switch to connect the TVs
    |_ 1Gbit Switch to connect multiple devices
    |_ 10Gbit Switch to connect the NUC and the NAS (the NUC now take internet connection from here)

Everything is still perfect in the network, but I really can't make Mezzmo to works fine.
    I obviously had to remap on windows the network storage from the 192.168.2.x IPs to the 192.168.1.x ones, updated this on mezzmo library (tryed even resetting the library and adding from scratch the folders) and till this exact moment I had many problem using Mezzmo.

Just to be clear, I can see the folders on the TVs, I see all the media into them, (very slowly) but when I try to play a movie, this start to stop continously, stopping, or even not being able to reproduce.

First try I did: installed mezzmo on the other 10Gbit PC connected to the same new switch, everything is ok, so the new switch is not the cause, neither the new 10Gbit connection.

Second try I did: because the NUC has no network problems, and so the QNA-T310G1S seems to work good for random use, I just put again a LAN cable between the NUC and the old switch, configured mezzmo to use this network to stream contents, this way it's still ok. 10Gbit is still used to take the movies from the NAS, so it seems to be something related to the way mezzmo streams contents to the devices

at this point I would like to understand what's wrong and how could I fix this...please help me!

Many Thanks,
    Alex

Are you running network VLANs on the switches, multi-netting the 2 IP ranges (i.e. discrete 2 - /24 subnets) or using a /23 subnet mask ? I'd highly suggest rtrying a /23 subnet mask vs. attempting 2 - /24s with Windows 10. I've seen Windows 10 get very quirky trying to run 2 /24s unless you specifically add the ranges into the adapter settings and even then I've had some issues. If you are running VLANs, what device is doing the routing between the VLANs ?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    Are you running network VLANs on the switches, multi-netting the 2 IP ranges (i.e. discrete 2 - /24 subnets) or using a /23 subnet mask ? I'd highly suggest rtrying a /23 subnet mask vs. attempting 2 - /24s with Windows 10. I've seen Windows 10 get very quirky trying to run 2 /24s unless you specifically add the ranges into the adapter settings and even then I've had some issues. If you are running VLANs, what device is doing the routing between the VLANs ?

Jeff
    Hi,
    actually the IPs are static and assigned by the router's DHCP, all in the 192.168.1.x range with 255.255.255.0 netmask.
    Yesterday night, studying possible fixes, I read something about TCP Offload and similiar. As far as I understand enabling these options (to be honest they are usually enabled by default) in the network card settings, some kind of additional work is added on the hardware of the card instead of the CPU. So I thought that while the desktop PC PCIE 10Gbit card could have good performances, this could not be true for the QNA-T310G1S. Then I turned on my "dummy mode" and disabled everything sayng "offload something" in the card settings and it apparently fixed the issue...I'll keep monitoring this because it sounds very strange

Is this NUC running Windows 10? I am asking this because about 6 or 8 months ago I had to replace my Win7 Mezzmo box and, for obvious reasons, went with Win10. I had alot of playback issues until I made some changes to the networking stack.

There was alot of info covered in this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread...System-Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by ftanner View Post
    Is this NUC running Windows 10? I am asking this because about 6 or 8 months ago I had to replace my Win7 Mezzmo box and, for obvious reasons, went with Win10. I had alot of playback issues until I made some changes to the networking stack.

There was alot of info covered in this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread...System-Rebuild
    yes, windows 10, but had windows 10 for years.
    anyway, I'll give a look at the thread
    thx