Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Increasing memory use over time

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Are you running the latest version of Mezzmo or an older version? We did have handle leaks in the past but have fixed them since then. We will try running the server for an extended period to see if any leaks occur.
    As per the opening post I am on v6.0.6 and it shows no updates are available.

    Maybe there is something specific to my setup (Mezzmo settings or environment), but its now a very rarely used install as per my earlier posts. In Process Monitor I don't see any odd failures with file access so permissions all seem good (same for process/registry activity) and the installation has been in place for almost two years, just upgraded when applicable.

    This could have been happening for some time as the server often reboots every 10 - 14 days for updates so that would mask the problem. MezzmoMediaServer.exe appears to 32bit and not be large address aware so I expect it to have issues as it nears 2GB which will probably occur in another 3 to 5 days if I don't have any reboots for system updates.

    If there's anything else I can capture that would help locate the issue then please let me know. I've taken a couple of full process dumps, but I know from experience they're not much fun to debug with.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,524

    Default

    Sorry I missed seeing the version information in the opening post. Can you please check the interfaces Mezzmo server is listening on in 'Media Server Settings' as the server could be processing a lot of Upnp messages from virtual adapters which may be eating up memory. Try setting the adapters to just the LAN adapter to see if this helps.

    Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Sorry I missed seeing the version information in the opening post. Can you please check the interfaces Mezzmo server is listening on in 'Media Server Settings' as the server could be processing a lot of Upnp messages from virtual adapters which may be eating up memory. Try setting the adapters to just the LAN adapter to see if this helps.
    It already is bound to the main LAN adapter (an Intel NIC team)

    Today the MezzmoMediaServer.exe process is over 1.6GB with 7600 file handles (just more of the same Mezzmo DB files listed ealier making up the ongoing increase). The excessive file handles may not be the cause of all the memory use but its certainly not correct and surely that means some area of code is not releasing them?

    I've done a fresh v6.0.6 install in a VM and diff'd that to my current install in case the upgrader had an issue at some point but all files are correct, just with some surplus older versions of FFmpeg dlls that I've checked aren't loaded into the process.

  4. #14

    Default

    As I've already captured a lot of information about this leaking MezzmoMediaServer.exe process I restarted it once it got to 1.86GB memory and 8240 file handles with the only ones that increased relating to the DB files mentioned before. Leaving it would only lead to it locking up/crashing as it exhausted its 2GB memory space.

    I am disappointed that this issue doesn't appear to be of interest to the developers despite the hours effort I've gone to as per the posts above (I am a server side software dev). That leaves me with restarting the Mezzmo service every night as a workaround or just going elsewhere for music streaming.

    Incidentally the product I switched to a while back for photos and videos runs on the same server and is worked a lot harder yet has stable memory and other Windows resource types. If there was any issue on the server itself then that application would be very likely to have issues as well, but it doesn't, and that's the same for the other services running.

    Quick summary before I restarted the Mezzmo service:
    2021-05-15_09-56-53.png

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stm View Post
    As I've already captured a lot of information about this leaking MezzmoMediaServer.exe process I restarted it once it got to 1.86GB memory and 8240 file handles with the only ones that increased relating to the DB files mentioned before. Leaving it would only lead to it locking up/crashing as it exhausted its 2GB memory space.

    I am disappointed that this issue doesn't appear to be of interest to the developers despite the hours effort I've gone to as per the posts above (I am a server side software dev). That leaves me with restarting the Mezzmo service every night as a workaround or just going elsewhere for music streaming.

    Incidentally the product I switched to a while back for photos and videos runs on the same server and is worked a lot harder yet has stable memory and other Windows resource types. If there was any issue on the server itself then that application would be very likely to have issues as well, but it doesn't, and that's the same for the other services running.

    Quick summary before I restarted the Mezzmo service:
    2021-05-15_09-56-53.png
    Could it be possible you have some database corruption have you tried starting fresh with a clean db or at least trying to run the current database through sqlite3 ?
    ie ("sqlite3 Mezzmo.db ".dump" | sqlite3 MezzmoNew.db") then move MezzmoNew.db to Mezzmo.db restart mezzmo and see if it fixed.

    Make sure you keep your old databbase files so you can revert back if nothing changes.

    anyways just something to try since it fixed a problem I had in the past with memory leak and mezzmo becoming unstable.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    617

    Default

    A similar option would be to run a Mezzmo database backup and then run a full Mezzmo maintenance on the database.


    Jeff

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odin View Post
    Could it be possible you have some database corruption have you tried starting fresh with a clean db or at least trying to run the current database through sqlite3 ?
    ie ("sqlite3 Mezzmo.db ".dump" | sqlite3 MezzmoNew.db") then move MezzmoNew.db to Mezzmo.db restart mezzmo and see if it fixed.

    Make sure you keep your old databbase files so you can revert back if nothing changes.

    anyways just something to try since it fixed a problem I had in the past with memory leak and mezzmo becoming unstable.
    Thanks, but I've already recreated a fresh database entirely I first spotted this issue when I removed all my photos from Mezzmo and the related complex playlists.

    The leaking file handles also applies to four database files equally and three are basically tiny/empty. That makes it more likely a leak in Mezzmo code than whatever sqlite library they're using or corruption, unless they're not handling a DB related exception somewhere in code that opens these regularly.

    The server also has had all anti-virus scanning disabled for the Mezzmo files and processes ever since install. I could recreate the setup in a VM to rule our other settings/file related issues as its a 21 month old install but I've already spent quite a bit of time and some steps to narrow down causes from the authors (any specific logs to check etc) would be helpful. Given the specific handle leak pattern they could at least check the code for likely areas/causes instead of just saying Mezzmo opens lots of files as has been stated several times in this thread.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stm View Post
    Thanks, but I've already recreated a fresh database entirely I first spotted this issue when I removed all my photos from Mezzmo and the related complex playlists.

    The leaking file handles also applies to four database files equally and three are basically tiny/empty. That makes it more likely a leak in Mezzmo code than whatever sqlite library they're using or corruption, unless they're not handling a DB related exception somewhere in code that opens these regularly.

    The server also has had all anti-virus scanning disabled for the Mezzmo files and processes ever since install. I could recreate the setup in a VM to rule our other settings/file related issues as its a 21 month old install but I've already spent quite a bit of time and some steps to narrow down causes from the authors (any specific logs to check etc) would be helpful. Given the specific handle leak pattern they could at least check the code for likely areas/causes instead of just saying Mezzmo opens lots of files as has been stated several times in this thread.
    Hm not sure, here is what mine is using , around 5,222 handles but I don't really have any memory issues, my server is mostly movies, and pictures (no audio/music).
    Capture.JPG

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,524

    Default

    We do have interest in resolving this issue. We have not yet received a dump file of the MezzmoMediaServer.exe process when the memory use is high so if you can try to create this next time the memory use is high and send it to us we can investigate the memory allocation. Also checking for database issues may be useful so if you can enable diagnostic logging http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=using_logging&s[]=diagnostic and then after restarting your Mezzmo media server let the server run until the memory use gets high then zip the logs and send them to support [at] conceiva [dot] com

    Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

Similar Threads

  1. Memory Leak
    By dancki in forum Mezzmo Questions and Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2015, 08:41 AM
  2. Memory Leak?
    By ftanner in forum Mezzmo Questions and Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2015, 11:54 AM
  3. CPU and Memory control
    By nilesf in forum Mezzmo Wish List and Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 07:39 AM
  4. last position memory
    By krygi in forum Mezzmo Wish List and Feedback
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 07:02 PM
  5. Low Memory on Client w/ h.264
    By analogknight in forum Mezzmo Questions and Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 10:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •