Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unable to see or find server

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Update
    I need to expand on this a little.

My TV is an LGOLED and has capability of ethernet connection. I went through the trouble of outfitting 4 rooms with ethernet connection, one being my living room with TV to take advantage of that. My computer upstairs that runs Mezzmo service is on ethernet connection to the router.
    To expand on that slightly, my router is connected to an ethernet HUB and the ethernet cables from the rooms are connected on the hub. so it runs
    Upstairs computer ethernet< hub< ASUS router < modem
    The TV runs ethernet < hub < ASUS router< modem

I will say that all was working fine as far as connectivity to internet on those devices WITHOUT really ever checking Mezzmo since we had not used in awhile. So I can not attest to the fact of whether this was all due to that new set up but sounds like it.

One more wrinkle...
    LG has a bug in their network cards on this particular model tv I have. For some it has worked, others no. Could contact company to switch out card, but after review of forums, sounds like it still has trouble and 50/50 if it works at all.
    So I had decided not to use the ethernet connection on TV and connect to wireless via 5G back to router.
    So I must confess that has been the setup here and probably also contributing.

Now, to continue with your suggestions..

In order of actions taken, I did pause Kaspersky and attempted to "Refresh" the device list but no change. Closed/ re-opened Mezzmo and did not see list refresh with new IP addresses.

Then,

Followed Jeff's list.

1. deleted all entries in media devices. Tried to refresh then and nothing populated. Made sure box was ticked to allow new devices to connect.
    2. w/ firewall down, tried also to refresh and nothing populated.
    3. Pinged devices and all were pinging EXCEPT LG TV. Rec'd 0 packets back. (Questioned if due to TV being on wireless while the computer I'm pinging it from is connected ethernet ALTHOUGH I was able to ping my iphone which was on the network via wireless while at the same time the computer was on ethernet) So..I stopped the ethernet connection from computer to router AND connected instead via wireless 5G. then continued on to #4 below.
    4. Rebooted all devices while firewall down and nothing populates. Closed out and re-opened Mezzmo and nothing populated.
    5. Attempted to stop/start Mezzmo server service and VOILA, works. Started populating again. BUT then I wondered if I connected the server computer back to the router using ethernet, would it work. And it did not. I lost all connectivity again to not only TV but other devices that had repopulated in the list.

So that leads me to wonder now if the problem distinctly is the connection of the server computer to the router via ethernet .

below is my ipconfig on the server computer with ethernet connection to the router.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-P2F44F2
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Unknown adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Kaspersky VPN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-3D-7E-49-05-01
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5100:14c1:7c6d:e9ae%13(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.19(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 27, 2022 6:13:10 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 4, 2022 7:05:01 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 114572670
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-29-D0-14-8F-D4-3D-7E-49-05-01
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 16-6D-57-B7-E4-C4

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 26-6D-57-B7-E4-C4

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-6D-57-B7-E4-C4

my ip on LG connected via 5 G is 192.168.1.179
    Can you do an ipconfig /all when your Mezzmo server is running on wireless ? I'd like to see a comparison between wired and wireless. While you have your Mezzmo server on wireless try pinging your LG TV and see if it responds. Also when you are connected via Ethernet did you ensure that Mezzmo is broadcasting on the Ethernet IP address ? This is under Media Server --> Media Server Settings. Also is it running as a Windows service or a console application ? This setting is in the same place. Lastly, you might want to check for any UPnP settings on your ASUS router. If enabled they will sometimes interfere when trying to do UPnP across the router from Ethernet to wireless.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    Can you do an ipconfig /all when your Mezzmo server is running on wireless ? I'd like to see a comparison between wired and wireless. While you have your Mezzmo server on wireless try pinging your LG TV and see if it responds. Also when you are connected via Ethernet did you ensure that Mezzmo is broadcasting on the Ethernet IP address ? This is under Media Server --> Media Server Settings. Also is it running as a Windows service or a console application ? This setting is in the same place. Lastly, you might want to check for any UPnP settings on your ASUS router. If enabled they will sometimes interfere when trying to do UPnP across the router from Ethernet to wireless.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Below is data from pinging the LGTV on wireless connection AND the IPconfig /all when connected wireless. I'm actually connected to wireless and ethernet:

C:\Users\Christian>ping 192.168.1.179

Pinging 192.168.1.179 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.179: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.179: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.179: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.179: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.179:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 3ms

C:\Users\Christian>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-P2F44F2
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Unknown adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Kaspersky VPN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-3D-7E-49-05-01
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5100:14c1:7c6d:e9ae%13(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.19(Preferred)
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 27, 2022 6:13:10 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 4, 2022 7:05:01 AM
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 114572670

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 16-6D-57-B7-E4-C4

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 26-6D-57-B7-E4-C4

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-6D-57-B7-E4-C4
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e738:3037:e08f:9c9b%12(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.184(Preferred)
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 3, 2022 10:09:24 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 4, 2022 3:46:53 PM
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 121924951

I checked under media server settings. Set as console application.

Broadcast adapters is what I assume is what you are asking if checked when broadcasting on ethernet. When broadcasting on ethernet, I checked on ASUS router page and the wired connection with the computer ends in .19

without.jpg

If I am on wireless this is what shows. Wireless connection is to 5G and ends in .184

with.jpg

My ASUS does not have Upnp enabled.

upnp.jpg
    Last edited by Christian; 12-04-2022 at 07:23 AM.

Ok. One thing I see is that your broadcast interval is set to 18000. I'd change that to 180 and restart the Mezzmo server. When your Mezzmo server and the TV are both on wireless does the TV see the Mezzmo server ? If so, there may be a setting in your ASUS router to share your local Ethernet network with your wireless devices. Also the wireless network you are using isn't your Guest network but a normal Wi-Fi network SSID ? One thing I also see is thjat your LAN Ethernet connection is called Kaspersky VPN which may indicate that Kapersky is doing some virtual networking and you may need to allow your TV to communicate with your Mezzmo server in the Kapersky software.

Jeff
    Last edited by jbinkley60; 12-04-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    Ok. One thing I see is that your broadcast interval is set to 18000. I'd change that to 180 and restart the Mezzmo server. When your Mezzmo server and the TV are both on wireless does the TV see the Mezzmo server ? If so, there may be a setting in your ASUS router to share your local Ethernet network with your wireless devices. Also the wireless network you are using isn't your Guest network but a normal Wi-Fi network SSID ? One thing I also see is thjat your LAN Ethernet connection is called Kaspersky VPN which may indicate that Kapersky is doing some virtual networking and you may need to allow your TV to communicate with your Mezzmo server in the Kapersky software.

Jeff
    Went back and changed the broadcast interval 180. I had read that somewhere and tried setting it earlier but no luck on the connection. I am leaving it though.

Yesterday I did establish that if the Mezzmo server is connected to wireless and the TV is set to wireless, they see each other. I just did not want to leave the computer the server is on set to wireless AND wired since I was afraid I would not benefit from the speed aspect while on internet.
    Then I read your next comment about whether there was a setting in the ASUS router about whether there was a setting to allow the ethernet network to share with wireless devices. I looked on Asus's website and there was a setting under the professional tab for wireless connections that if you set it to "no", it would allow this. Mine was set to "yes", so I switched it.
    Below is that pic of the setting in ASUS where it is.

AP.jpg

After the switch, I was able to connect the TV and my iphone I was using as a second device to troubleshoot, back to mezzmo. That must have been the problem all along.

I am going to observe for a bit and see if any problems but so far all is working. I'll contact back if any issues...knock on wood.

I want to thank you for your help.
    I have been using Mezzmo since 2015 and I must say this since I have read people say some negative things and wanting to use a different product at times. I think it may be the ability to stick it out with troubleshooting that gets those folks. My experience with your product has not always been smooth but I usually have found a workaround or fix and it is because of your customer service. Its for that reason I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks for your help.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Went back and changed the broadcast interval 180. I had read that somewhere and tried setting it earlier but no luck on the connection. I am leaving it though.

Yesterday I did establish that if the Mezzmo server is connected to wireless and the TV is set to wireless, they see each other. I just did not want to leave the computer the server is on set to wireless AND wired since I was afraid I would not benefit from the speed aspect while on internet.
    Then I read your next comment about whether there was a setting in the ASUS router about whether there was a setting to allow the ethernet network to share with wireless devices. I looked on Asus's website and there was a setting under the professional tab for wireless connections that if you set it to "no", it would allow this. Mine was set to "yes", so I switched it.
    Below is that pic of the setting in ASUS where it is.

AP.jpg

After the switch, I was able to connect the TV and my iphone I was using as a second device to troubleshoot, back to mezzmo. That must have been the problem all along.

I am going to observe for a bit and see if any problems but so far all is working. I'll contact back if any issues...knock on wood.

I want to thank you for your help.
    I have been using Mezzmo since 2015 and I must say this since I have read people say some negative things and wanting to use a different product at times. I think it may be the ability to stick it out with troubleshooting that gets those folks. My experience with your product has not always been smooth but I usually have found a workaround or fix and it is because of your customer service. Its for that reason I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks for your help.

I am glad you are working again and happy I could help. The tip was that you couldn't ping your TV from your Mezzmo server when one was on Ethernet and the other on wireless. If ping doesn't work then it is unlikely the SSDP broadcasts would get through either. Yes, this is likely the problem all along. I would suggest keeping the broadcast timer set lower than 18000. I keep mine at 180. Peter may have a different opinion.

I appreciate the feedback but I don't work for Mezzmo. I am just a volunteer who just wants to see the product succeed and folks to get the most out of it. I also have 30 years of IP networking experience, which helps with these types of issues. I agree that Mezzmo's customer service is excellent, as is the product. Because I help develop the Mezzmo Kodi addon I spend a lot of time in the Kodi forums. It pains me to see what some folks go through to keep their Kodi native systems running. If I had the issues that some of them do, I'd likely give up. It's sometimes painful to watch. I've convinced a few that there is a better solution called Mezzmo

Thanks,

Jeff