Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unable to see or find server

Default unable to see or find server

Problem: Unable to see Mezzmo as a server on devices using only ethernet connection of server to router.

Let me preface by saying, the family and I had watched so many videos through our mezzmo for a while, we "took a break" and since the last time we used, there had been some changes.
    One of the changes had been we changed from connecting the desktop that Mezzmo runs on from wireless to wired connection to the router. After that, I no longer used the wireless connection from router to desktop, just ethernet.

I recently had to replace internal C drive. Went from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro. Luckily had multiple backups of data on a separate drive so did not lose files, but trying to get Mezzmo back up and running again.

No change in modem or router technically. Using ASUS RTAC87r. Checked all that was recommended to have either disabled or enabled and everything as it should be.

Running Kaspersky Total security. This too had been something I had been running but did have to reload. It is handling the Firewall and made sure "Conceiva" was a trusted app.

So question is this...

I could not find the server ie desktop that runs Mezzmo as I had on the same devices as before UNTIL I connected the desktop to the router with a wireless connection in addition to ethernet. Why is it that I am unable to see the devices and they see me if I use only the ethernet connection?
    Is it because DLNA has to use wireless? If the desktop is not the DLNA source, does that mean the router would have to serve as the broadcasting DLNA source?

Thanks

Please check the subnet of the wireless connection against the ethernet connection, sometimes routers put the wireless and wired connections in a different subnet so if the TV is connected via wireless it will be in a different subnet to the Mezzmo server and will not receive the multicast messages from the server.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

This has also been happening to me since February. I got so frustrated that I started using Plex, which actually has more useful features and cost me nothing. I expected to get a better quality media server by paying for it, but I guess some good things in life are actually free. Fix your crap software!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Problem: Unable to see Mezzmo as a server on devices using only ethernet connection of server to router.

Let me preface by saying, the family and I had watched so many videos through our mezzmo for a while, we "took a break" and since the last time we used, there had been some changes.
    One of the changes had been we changed from connecting the desktop that Mezzmo runs on from wireless to wired connection to the router. After that, I no longer used the wireless connection from router to desktop, just ethernet.

I recently had to replace internal C drive. Went from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro. Luckily had multiple backups of data on a separate drive so did not lose files, but trying to get Mezzmo back up and running again.

No change in modem or router technically. Using ASUS RTAC87r. Checked all that was recommended to have either disabled or enabled and everything as it should be.

Running Kaspersky Total security. This too had been something I had been running but did have to reload. It is handling the Firewall and made sure "Conceiva" was a trusted app.

So question is this...

I could not find the server ie desktop that runs Mezzmo as I had on the same devices as before UNTIL I connected the desktop to the router with a wireless connection in addition to ethernet. Why is it that I am unable to see the devices and they see me if I use only the ethernet connection?
    Is it because DLNA has to use wireless? If the desktop is not the DLNA source, does that mean the router would have to serve as the broadcasting DLNA source?

Thanks
    Something else to check is in your Media Server Settings in Mezzmo and see which network(s) you are broadcasting on. I would set it to Ethernet. Ethernet should carry over to wireless unless your router has uPNP enabled, which can cause problems. Also, you didn't say what client(s) you are using. Some of the Mezzmo clients like Kodi and Roku allow manually entering of the Mezzmo server IP address which gets around network broadcast issues.

Jeff

I have been using Mezzmo since 2018 with the same Roku TV. The TV has no ethernet, just wireless, never had a problem before February this year. I would think if it were the settings that I would have had this problem 4 years ago rather than 6 months ago. I have no problem with the Plex connection which is using the same wireless connection, so it isn't a failing wireless connection either. So the conclusion to the problem is either the media player itself or the Roku Mezzmo app since everything behaved nicely for 4 years.

I had this same problem, but believe I've just fixed it

Check your Server Advertisement Interval under Media Server Settings.
    http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...ement_interval

Default is 1800 seconds.

Tip: If your device has trouble detecting Mezzmo, then you can try reducing the advertisement interval to 180 (which is 3 minutes).
    I changed to 180 as recommended and it picked up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Please check the subnet of the wireless connection against the ethernet connection, sometimes routers put the wireless and wired connections in a different subnet so if the TV is connected via wireless it will be in a different subnet to the Mezzmo server and will not receive the multicast messages from the server.
    I checked and the subnet is same (255.255.255.0). In my router, it appears LAN is setup to use that for all.

Jeff suggested I check to see which networks I was broadcasting on. There is only one listed; 192.168.1.19.

However, since I had to take a break from working on this, I noticed something tonight that was not noticed the last time. The IP addresses listed in media devices are not what I show in my router to be assigned to anything. For instance, the TV is an LG so listed as LGWebOS and the IP in media device is 192.168.1.178 with a MAC address of 4C:1B:86:CE:18:CC
    listed under my router page the TV has 192.168.1.131 and the MAC is 00:IF:54:C4:6E.

I have rebooted my computer and the router but still holding that discrepancy. That seems like a major issue.

255.255.255.0 is the subnet mask, the subnet is the last value of the ip address so 192.168.1.x. Sometimes wireless can be 192.168.2.x and ethernet 192.168.1.x for example and this puts them in different subnets.

Mezzmo will update the ip address in the list the next time the device connects to the server, the MAC address is used to identify the device. If the ip address is not being updated this means that M-Search or Notify messages from the device are not reaching the Mezzmo server which is preventing the update of the ip. Please try disabling temporarily the Kaspersky Firewall to see if the ip address gets updated for the TV in the list.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I checked and the subnet is same (255.255.255.0). In my router, it appears LAN is setup to use that for all.

Jeff suggested I check to see which networks I was broadcasting on. There is only one listed; 192.168.1.19.

However, since I had to take a break from working on this, I noticed something tonight that was not noticed the last time. The IP addresses listed in media devices are not what I show in my router to be assigned to anything. For instance, the TV is an LG so listed as LGWebOS and the IP in media device is 192.168.1.178 with a MAC address of 4C:1B:86:CE:18:CC
    listed under my router page the TV has 192.168.1.131 and the MAC is 00:IF:54:C4:6E.

I have rebooted my computer and the router but still holding that discrepancy. That seems like a major issue.
    The different MAC and IP addresses are likely due to you changing from wireless to ethernet. Your devices will have different MAC addresses for each physical interface (i.e. wireless and Ethernet) and likewise DHCP will hand out different IP addresses to different MAC addresses. This is standard networking.

I suggest doing the following:

• Delete the old entries in the Mezzmo device manager since they are pointing to the wireless MAC address. This won't do anything but will eliminate some confusion with multiple entries.
    • As Peter says, disable your firewall.
    • Try pinging your devices from your Mezzmo server and see if they respond properly
    • Make sure the option to allow new devices to connect is enabled in the Mezzmo Media Devices window
    • While the firewall is disabled, try rebooting your devices and see if they show up under the Mezzmo Media Devices
    • If they don't show up try stopping / starting the Mezzmo server service

If this doesn't work then open a CMD window on your Mezzmo server, run the command "ipconfig /all" and post the results here.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    The different MAC and IP addresses are likely due to you changing from wireless to ethernet. Your devices will have different MAC addresses for each physical interface (i.e. wireless and Ethernet) and likewise DHCP will hand out different IP addresses to different MAC addresses. This is standard networking.

I suggest doing the following:

• Delete the old entries in the Mezzmo device manager since they are pointing to the wireless MAC address. This won't do anything but will eliminate some confusion with multiple entries.
    • As Peter says, disable your firewall.
    • Try pinging your devices from your Mezzmo server and see if they respond properly
    • Make sure the option to allow new devices to connect is enabled in the Mezzmo Media Devices window
    • While the firewall is disabled, try rebooting your devices and see if they show up under the Mezzmo Media Devices
    • If they don't show up try stopping / starting the Mezzmo server service

If this doesn't work then open a CMD window on your Mezzmo server, run the command "ipconfig /all" and post the results here.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Update
    I need to expand on this a little.

My TV is an LGOLED and has capability of ethernet connection. I went through the trouble of outfitting 4 rooms with ethernet connection, one being my living room with TV to take advantage of that. My computer upstairs that runs Mezzmo service is on ethernet connection to the router.
    To expand on that slightly, my router is connected to an ethernet HUB and the ethernet cables from the rooms are connected on the hub. so it runs
    Upstairs computer ethernet< hub< ASUS router < modem
    The TV runs ethernet < hub < ASUS router< modem

I will say that all was working fine as far as connectivity to internet on those devices WITHOUT really ever checking Mezzmo since we had not used in awhile. So I can not attest to the fact of whether this was all due to that new set up but sounds like it.

One more wrinkle...
    LG has a bug in their network cards on this particular model tv I have. For some it has worked, others no. Could contact company to switch out card, but after review of forums, sounds like it still has trouble and 50/50 if it works at all.
    So I had decided not to use the ethernet connection on TV and connect to wireless via 5G back to router.
    So I must confess that has been the setup here and probably also contributing.

Now, to continue with your suggestions..

In order of actions taken, I did pause Kaspersky and attempted to "Refresh" the device list but no change. Closed/ re-opened Mezzmo and did not see list refresh with new IP addresses.

Then,

Followed Jeff's list.

1. deleted all entries in media devices. Tried to refresh then and nothing populated. Made sure box was ticked to allow new devices to connect.
    2. w/ firewall down, tried also to refresh and nothing populated.
    3. Pinged devices and all were pinging EXCEPT LG TV. Rec'd 0 packets back. (Questioned if due to TV being on wireless while the computer I'm pinging it from is connected ethernet ALTHOUGH I was able to ping my iphone which was on the network via wireless while at the same time the computer was on ethernet) So..I stopped the ethernet connection from computer to router AND connected instead via wireless 5G. then continued on to #4 below.
    4. Rebooted all devices while firewall down and nothing populates. Closed out and re-opened Mezzmo and nothing populated.
    5. Attempted to stop/start Mezzmo server service and VOILA, works. Started populating again. BUT then I wondered if I connected the server computer back to the router using ethernet, would it work. And it did not. I lost all connectivity again to not only TV but other devices that had repopulated in the list.

So that leads me to wonder now if the problem distinctly is the connection of the server computer to the router via ethernet .

below is my ipconfig on the server computer with ethernet connection to the router.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-P2F44F2
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Unknown adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Kaspersky VPN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-3D-7E-49-05-01
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5100:14c1:7c6d:e9ae%13(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.19(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 27, 2022 6:13:10 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 4, 2022 7:05:01 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 114572670
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-29-D0-14-8F-D4-3D-7E-49-05-01
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 16-6D-57-B7-E4-C4

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 26-6D-57-B7-E4-C4

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-6D-57-B7-E4-C4

my ip on LG connected via 5 G is 192.168.1.179
    Last edited by Christian; 12-04-2022 at 02:17 AM.