Thread: Wish List: Complete Redo

Default Wish List: Complete Redo

Been with Mezzmo for over a decade but the current version's time is up.

Mezzmo is dated, buggy, sluggish and does not work well with large libraries. Plex is superior (although might be a completely different product right now). Emby absolutely destroys Mezzmo at almost everything.

I get that it might not even be worth it for Conceiva from a financial standpoint, but I would love nothing better than to throw down some reasonable $$$ for a shiny, new Mezzmo.

Quote Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    Been with Mezzmo for over a decade but the current version's time is up.

Mezzmo is dated, buggy, sluggish and does not work well with large libraries. Plex is superior (although might be a completely different product right now). Emby absolutely destroys Mezzmo at almost everything.

I get that it might not even be worth it for Conceiva from a financial standpoint, but I would love nothing better than to throw down some reasonable $$$ for a shiny, new Mezzmo.
    I concur that I would like to see a few updates but that is nowhere close to a do over, as you suggest. I am not going to get into a product vs. product debate but it might be good to know specific new / updated features of interest and how much of that is based upon specific clients and such. I continue to keep an eye on other products with regards to the Kodi client and feel the Mezzmo client is far superior in many ways. Of course I am a bit biased here

A few Mezzmo items on my wish list are a newer version of FFmpeg and SQLite along with looking at whether something can be added to the database to track / timestamp metadata updates for files to allow a query like the more recently updated video files in Mezzmo (regardless of which metadata field). Also maybe adding the keyword field to playlists, like they it is with individual files. I suspect your wish list items are more on the client side.

For performance I am not seeing issues with large size libraries. Mine is close to 30,000 entries including video and music. Close to 100,000 if you include pictures. I don't know if you use Mezzmo compact utility which optimizes the database but database reindexing can help maintain more consistent performance over time. I agree that SQLite databases don't scale as well as some others but with some tuning and putting them on an SSD they can do reasonably well.

Peter,

Does the Mezzmo compact database feature do both a VACUUM and REINDEX in SQlite ?

Thanks,

Jeff

The compact database feature only does VACUUM.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

Peter,

Would it make sense to offer a REINDEX option somewhere ? I used an SQLite tool to do it myself.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    I concur that I would like to see a few updates but that is nowhere close to a do over, as you suggest. I am not going to get into a product vs. product debate but it might be good to know specific new / updated features of interest and how much of that is based upon specific clients and such. I continue to keep an eye on other products with regards to the Kodi client and feel the Mezzmo client is far superior in many ways. Of course I am a bit biased here

A few Mezzmo items on my wish list are a newer version of FFmpeg and SQLite along with looking at whether something can be added to the database to track / timestamp metadata updates for files to allow a query like the more recently updated video files in Mezzmo (regardless of which metadata field). Also maybe adding the keyword field to playlists, like they it is with individual files. I suspect your wish list items are more on the client side.

For performance I am not seeing issues with large size libraries. Mine is close to 30,000 entries including video and music. Close to 100,000 if you include pictures. I don't know if you use Mezzmo compact utility which optimizes the database but database reindexing can help maintain more consistent performance over time. I agree that SQLite databases don't scale as well as some others but with some tuning and putting them on an SSD they can do reasonably well.

Peter,

Does the Mezzmo compact database feature do both a VACUUM and REINDEX in SQlite ?

Thanks,

Jeff
    I agree there are only some small (but probably not for the faint of heart) updates I'd like to see as well. There are reasons I chose Mezzmo over Plex/Emby and all the others that have come and gone over the years. Probably top of the list is perfected Roku support for transcoding .mkv. Transcoding in general needs a facelift. I would easily pay $75-$100 USD for every major version (2 years release cadence?) if I could see regular updates. It's hard to support every device, but hitting the big ones, like NVidia Shield (Android TV) and Roku with killer experiences would be at the top of my list for device profiles. And maybe dump some of the older profiles like Oppo. I too have been using Mezzmo for 10 years and then some. Oh, and maybe making the web delivery more robust and secure (https without the gateway setup and such).

I get that it's been mothballed for a while, but 8 years ago and back to it's birth, Mezzmo was the best there was. I know, I tested them all. The flexibility of the content delivery, the granular control over the metadata, the device profile customization (still wishing for a device profile editor!)... it's a fantastic product, it's just showing its age is all.

I also absolutely agree a few issues fo me is the lack of a IOS app, I get it there are other tools but it would be great to just have a Mezzmo IOS app and then the lack of a native NAS installer. These two option are my top two request for support. I’ve been playing around with Jellyfin, at first I didn’t like it but know it’s getting my attentions as it runs on my NAS and I have an IOS app

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    Peter,

Would it make sense to offer a REINDEX option somewhere ? I used an SQLite tool to do it myself. fnaf

Thanks,

Jeff
    Providing the REINDEX option in SQLite or any other database management system also makes sense for specific situations. REINDEX is the process of reorganizing database indexes, helping to improve data access performance.

However, using REINDEX needs to be done carefully and should generally not be done too often as it can be resource intensive and impact database performance. Usually, database management systems automatically maintain indexes to keep performance stable.