Thread: update frequency

Default update frequency

I've used Mezzmo Pro for about a year now. There have been no updates available in that time. Are there supposed to be some? thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MezzmoManiaMan View Post
    I've used Mezzmo Pro for about a year now. There have been no updates available in that time. Are there supposed to be some? thank you
    According to Peter, updates are being released as patches right now. You need to request them from support. I am on version 6.0.7.20 . I've gotten 3-4 patches in the past year. I've delivered a lot of functionality for Kodi via the Mezzmo Kodi addon, which has only required minimal patch level changes in Mezzmo itself to provide.

Thanks,

Jeff

What are the patches intended to address, as opposed to software updates? Performance, bugs, security, new options?

Instead of having paid customers ask for them, why not just make the patches available on the Whats New website (http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/whatsnew.asp) and send a notification to these customers that a new Patch (or Update) is available? This would be a meaningful improvement in customer service.
    thank you

I second this. Would be nice.

Peter may have the complete list of patches / fixes between 6.0.6.0 and 6.0.7.20. I went back through some of my E-mails with him and found these:

6.0.7.h - Updated Mezzmo SOAP call response for lastplayed data to include both date and time vs. date only. This allows clients to see the entire date / time
    6.0.7.0 - Added audio bookmark data to Mezzmo SOAP call responses so clients will see the audio bookmark / resume pointers. This can be very helpful for long audio tracks like audiobooks
    6.0.7.1 - Update maintenance will now correct a mismatch in the Mezzmo database if the # of audio channels between Mezzmo and the underlying file are different. This can occur if you rerip a video file and the new file has a different # of channels from the original.
    6.0.7.14 - Added global most recent sorted video, music and picture SOAP calls to allow real time syncing with Kodi
    6.0.7.17 - Added importing of last played date into the Mezzmo database from NFO files (this makes it easier to migrate from other solutions without losing metadata)
    6.0.7.20 - Restored ring buffer for streaking audio to improve radio station playback with the Mezzmo iHeart radio channel and similar (the ring buffer was dropped in 6.0.7.6)

Note these descriptions are all in my words / explanations and not official from Mezzmo.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Last edited by jbinkley60; 10-22-2023 at 11:05 PM.

Not all updates need to nor should occur with Mezzmo itself. Here's a link of major new features which have been added to the Mezzmo Kodi addon client.

This link is for all of the release notes.

Thanks,

Jeff

What kind of ass backwards method is that. Why can't the program provide us of these 'patches' with automatic updates?
    I'm probably going to jump ship to Jellyfin because this program appears to be on life support for a while now.
    Last edited by Tofke; 10-26-2023 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofke View Post
    What kind of ass backwards method is that. Why can't the program provide us of these 'patches' with automatic updates?
    I'm probably going to jump ship to Jellyfin because this program appears to be on life support for a while now.
    Mezzmo is a very mature media server platform where the media sharing space isn't seeing a lot of major innovations, since companies are focused on online streaming. For example, Plex has been moving this way and Best Buy just announced dropping DVD sales. So most of the major updates to Mezzmo come in the form of client or integration updates vs. major feature upgrades to a mature space.

If you look at Jellyfin you may find it very Kodi-ish and lacking many of the advanced library and database features of Mezzmo, as well as many others. I spend a lot of my time building capabilities into the Mezzmo Kodi addon to get around some of the Kodi limitations around library management and similar. I personally find Jellyfin somewhat limiting in features.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Kodi. It is a great client (my preferred client) but it has a number of inherent limitations managing metadata and similar, which is where I see a lot of folks spending their time managing / struggling with vs. with Mezzmo it being built-in. The Jellyfin server is cross platform, which does appeal to some but I don't see this as a good trade-off to what Mezzmo can provide. The one main thing I'd like to see in Mezzmo is a newer version of FFMPEG but almost all media sharing services leverage FFMPEG and struggle with this. I am waiting for version 6.1 to be released and plan to compile Mezzmo versions of it.

Good luck,

Jeff

A quick update here on ffmpeg. I am looking to compile new versions of ffmpeg to align to the versions Kodi is adopting. This will make things cleaner for the Kodi users and quite selfishly it gives me a big technical community to identify any underlying bugs. To that point Kodi did adopt ffmpeg 6.0.1 into the upcoming Omega Kodi 21 release and they have already identified some bugs.

It feels like they are looking towards ffmpeg 6.1 but regardless I am holding off a bit longer waiting for something a little more stable and with less obvious bugs. Also since this is new there isn't skin support within Kodi for al of the new codec flags yet. So aside from Mezzmo having more updated codec information in the properties section and possibly supporting better transcoding of these newer codecs (mostly audio), there isn't a huge benefit.

Thanks,

Jeff