Thread: Mezzmo synology optons

Default Mezzmo synology optons

Hello,

Been experimenting with streamer servers like jellyfin and Emby and just discovered mezzmo. It looks like it might serve my needs more than others, however I currently am using Synology nas and nvidea shield. If I get a minipc in the middle will I be able to uses messmo and kodi? I was told, there is no Synology compatible app for mezzmo. Is this true? Will the previous solution be a working alternative as a server? Will it come with problems or disabled functions as a result of not being on the same nas? Will there be a Synology solution in the future? Will mezzmo be able to stream off the shield in this solution , using kodi To oppo 203?

I did search and for the answers and found either conflict or lacking clarity. Much of all of this is still relatively new.

Thank and appreciate your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman3030 View Post
    Hello,

Been experimenting with streamer servers like jellyfin and Emby and just discovered mezzmo. It looks like it might serve my needs more than others, however I currently am using Synology nas and nvidea shield. If I get a minipc in the middle will I be able to uses messmo and kodi? I was told, there is no Synology compatible app for mezzmo. Is this true? Will the previous solution be a working alternative as a server? Will it come with problems or disabled functions as a result of not being on the same nas? Will there be a Synology solution in the future? Will mezzmo be able to stream off the shield in this solution , using kodi To oppo 203?

I did search and for the answers and found either conflict or lacking clarity. Much of all of this is still relatively new.

Mezzmo will not run directly on your Synology NAS but a mini-PC like an N100 is perfectly fine. I have Mezzmo loaded on VMs and mini-PCs, as well as a big sever. Mezzmo, running on a mini-PC, will have no problems connecting to your NAS and seeing your media. Here's a link which may help explain better how the pieces fit together.

Yes, Mezzmo works well with nVidia Shield devices and I'd highly suggest running the Mezzmo Kodi addon to get the most out of it all. There are a few users here with that exact setup. I'd suggest getting the latest Mezzmo update 6.0.7.22 from Support.

Happy to answer more questions.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Last edited by jbinkley60; 03-28-2024 at 09:00 PM.

Great! Thanks! I’m glad to hear it probably will work.

I see the recommended requirements but is the baseline just the lowest needed, like is more better? Or more doesn’t really need much? I ask because I have a 2010 or 2014 Mac mini I can recycle into a pc or a 2015 Mac book pro if they would work.(I dont plan on transcoding unless streaming a movie off an iso to a Blu-ray player counts as transcoding.) if not I have no problem buying a n100 but don’t mind adding more than default resources if it’s recommended. Not sure how resource heavy it is.

Great! Thanks! I’m glad to hear it probably will work.

I see the recommended requirements but is the baseline just the lowest needed, like is more better? Or more doesn’t really need much? I ask because I have a 2010 or 2014 Mac mini I can recycle into a pc or a 2015 Mac book pro if they would work.(I dont plan on transcoding unless streaming a movie off an iso to a Blu-ray player counts as transcoding.) if not I have no problem buying a n100 but don’t mind adding more than default resources if it’s recommended. Not sure how resource heavy it is.
    The main advantage of additional resources is for transcoding. With Kodi clients it isn't typically required. For transcoding Mezzmo supports nVidia video cards and Intel Quick Sync to off-load the decoding/encoding to a GPU vs. CPU. As long as the Blu-Ray player supports the audio/video codecs needed then no transcoding is required. Note for streaming ISOs you don't get menus just the tracks. I personally did some ISO streaming but moved away from it. For web based clients transcoding is required.

With Mezzmo you can also pretranscode things in advance in the background. I do this for my granddaughter's Roku device in her bedroom vs. adding another Kodi box for her. I may change that some day but I find a single box easier for her to navigate so an extra few hundred gigs of storage to store the pretranscoded files isn't a big deal.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Last edited by jbinkley60; 03-31-2024 at 01:21 AM.

That’s very very helpful, just curious, why did you move away from streaming for a technical reason? I’m fine with no menus I figure I can stream on kodi shield pro for those if I want them. Was there a problem or delay or something? Or did you just lose interest in that method. have A large library about 70% iso at the moment so curious what I’m in for.

Also my Synology has quick sync, I assume it won’t help being on the nas?

Appreciate all the help.
    Last edited by Jman3030; 04-01-2024 at 05:35 PM.

That’s very very helpful, just curious, why did you move away from streaming for a technical reason? I’m fine with no menus I figure I can stream on kodi shield pro for those if I want them. Was there a problem or delay or something? Or did you just lose interest in that method. have A large library about 70% iso at the moment so curious what I’m in for.

Also my Synology has quick sync, I assume it won’t help being on the nas?

Appreciate all the help.

For the ISO question I mainly just wanted more control and consistency of my media via the ripping process. With ISOs you are stuck with what comes on the discs, the formats etc.. With DVDs there was even more variability than Blu-Rays and I am feeding 12+ clients, not all with the same capabilities.. I too have a very large library (~4100 movies, 17,400 TV episodes and 10,000+ music tracks) and my main server has over 500TB of storage.

Correct, Quick Sync being on the NAS won't help but if you avoid transcoding, it should be an issue.

Jeff

Hello,

Been experimenting with streamer servers like jellyfin and Emby and just discovered mezzmo. It looks like it might serve my needs more than others, however I currently am using Synology nas and nvidea shield. If I get a minipc in the middle will I be able to uses messmo and kodi? I was told, there is no Synology compatible app for mezzmo. Is this true? Will the previous solution be a working alternative as a server? Will it come with problems or disabled functions as a result of not being on the same nas? Will there be a Synology solution in the future? Will mezzmo be able to stream off the shield in this solution , using kodi To oppo 203? Time and attendance management

It’s great to hear that you’re exploring different media server options. Here’s what I found regarding Mezzmo and its compatibility with Synology NAS and integration with Kodi:

While Mezzmo does not have a native app for Synology DSM, it is possible to run Mezzmo on a mini PC and use it as a server to stream to your devices. This setup should work without major issues, although it may not be as seamless as having Mezzmo directly on the NAS.
    Mezzmo can be integrated with Kodi through the Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on. This allows you to stream files from your Mezzmo server with full metadata and artwork within Kodi.
    The Nvidia Shield can run Kodi, and with the Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on, you should be able to stream content to your Oppo 203. However, the specific capabilities regarding formats and resolutions would depend on the compatibility between the devices and the media being played.
    Last edited by jesse628wallick; 04-10-2024 at 02:15 PM.