Thread: DownloadStudio 5: Shortcomings in brief

Default DownloadStudio 5: Shortcomings in brief

Changing settings for a half-complete download will reset it to zero:
    Needless to say that this is a very irritating problem.

Does not support download from multiple mirrors:
    Being a able to download from multiple mirrors is a great feature: If one mirror is slow or down, another can be used. Also, this might help content providers by distributing the load of the download on multiple servers. DownloadStudio should be able to search for mirrors as well as allowing users to add mirrors.

Sniffer does not work for non-admin users:
    On my Windows XP computer, my family members and I use standard user accounts to protect our valuable data as well as the stability of our computer from malicious or/and low-quality software. However, DownloadStudio's URL Sniffer does not work under standard user accounts: It cannot detect any of my network adapters. I do not care why it happens; all I care is that it must not happen.

Opera integration does not work for non-admin:
    On my computer, DownloadStudio cannot detect my Opera when I'm running under standard user accounts.

Very cumbersome resume functionality:
    I don't see any different between a failed, pending or stopped download. When I click resume, I want DownloadStudio to retry resuming where it has dropped off the download.

File sizes are not shown in File Size column when the download is Pending, Stopped or waiting in the queue:
    When the DownloadStudio calculates the file size once, it should display this file size in appropriate column. Yes, file size might all of a sudden change on the server due various reasons. But as long as DownloadStudio has no evidence that such a change has occurred, it should display the file size that it thinks as correct.

History doesn't seem to work at all:
    I could never figure out what is the History node for. I expect it to work like History node in Free Download Manager and Orbit Downloader.

Sometimes, clicking Cancel in download dialog box does not return the download control back to web browser:
    Annoying but true. This happens a lot of times with Rapidshare.

Proxy settings cannot be set on individual downloads:
    One feature that is forgotten: Sometimes, a specific download needs to be done through a specific proxy server. I expect to be able to set different proxy settings per downloads.

Overly large Internet Explorer toolbar:
    Internet Explorer's DownloadStudio toolbar should have at most the same height as IE 7's command bar.

User agent cannot be set to be automatically detected from web browser:
    For downloads to be successful, it is often necessary for DownloadStudio to use exactly the same User Agent as of the originating web browser. DownloadStudio's integration agents in each browser must be able to rely that browser's User Agent to DownloadStudio. User Agent of any web browser can be accessed via "navigator.userAgent" parameter.

Poor and buggy RSS reader:
    IE, Firefox and Opera have better RSS readers

Unacceptable user interface:
    • Column widths are not remembered.
    • Main program's Options cannot be accessed when download is in progress.
    • Status of downloads in wait state is mistakenly shown as Connecting.

Fails to retrieve the correct file name for files received from server side pages whereas IE, Firefox and Opera can
    This also happens on sites like RapidShare, MegaUpload and Farashare. This issue is intermittent.

Freeware download managers like Orbit Downloader, Free Download Manager and FlashGet have none of the above disadvantages
    That's right: These freewares may not be as feature-rich as DownloadStudio but they sure do their jobs a lot better. I advise DownloadStudio developers to take a look at these products.

Does not check the integrity of downloaded files
    DownloadStudio does not offer any integrity check features or any mean by which one can ensure that his or her download is not corrupt.
    There are multiple types of integrity check:
    1. Using Digital Signature: Nowadays, respectable software vendors (e.g Microsoft, Adobe, Nero, Apple, etc.) digitally sign their software download packages using Microsoft Authenticode technology. The integrity of such packages can be verified by right-clicking on their files, choosing Properties, choosing Digital Signature tab, choosing Details and then seeing whether the digital signature is valid. Digital Signature will not be valid if the download is incomplete or corrupt. Using Microsoft Authenticode API, DownloadManager can automatically check the downloaded file's integrity and alert user in case the download integrity is failed.
    2. Using Embedded Checksum: Archive formats like ZIP hold a checksum value which can be using to verify their integrity. Programs like WinZIP and WinRAR have Test functionalities which re-calculates archive checksum and compares it with this value. DownloadStudio may implement a same feature.
    3. Using Manually-Entered checksum: Some download sites announce a hash value for their download packages instead of digitally-signing them. DownloadStudio may implement a feature that allow users to Copy and Paste this has value into DownloadStudio's user interface, so that it can compare the actual hash of the downloaded file and announce the result.
    4. Using Checksum File URL: Some download sites provide a supplimentary URL for each of their download packages that points to file containing the appropriate checksum hash value. I need not explain the rest, do I?
    Last edited by FleetCommand; 10-23-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks for the great feedback! Its really appreciated.

First up, are you running the latest version of DownloadStudio? Your issues do look like you are running an older version of DownloadStudio (prior to v5.x). We just released v5.1 today and I recommend you try this new version as many of your comments have been resolved already.

Changing settings for a half-complete download will reset it to zero
    This is a known issue and we'll address this is a future release.
    Does not support download from multiple mirrors
    Mirror support is already on our list of future enhancements.
    Sniffer does not work for non-admin users
    That's strange. We can run Sniffer on our test computers in non-admin accounts, and also no other users have reported this issue to date.
    Opera integration does not work for non-admin
    Again, strange. We can run Opera on our test computers in non-admin accounts and DownloadStudio integration works fine.
    Very cumbersome resume functionality
    Not sure I understand, when a download has failed, or you have stopped it, the next time you resume it, it will be downloaded from where you left off. Or, if you wish, you can start it from the beginning. I don't think that's cumbersome.
    File sizes are not shown in File Size column when the download is Pending, Stopped or waiting in the queue
    Nice idea. We'll look at updating the file size column as soon as we get these details.
    History doesn't seem to work at all
    Just tested it again and it seems to be working fine. We did fix an issue recently, so make sure you have the latest version.
    Sometimes, clicking Cancel in download dialog box does not return the download control back to web browser
    Get the latest version. We did fix an issue in the v5.1 release.
    Proxy settings cannot be set on individual downloads
    Understand. We'll look at exposing that.
    Overly large Internet Explorer toolbar
    We'll look at its height and make sure its a standard size. BTW - Its optional to install the toolbar into Internet Explorer, so if you don't like it then just don't install it, or just hide it. Use the checkbox in the Options dialog (Internet Explorer page) in DownloadStudio to uninstall it.
    User agent cannot be set to be automatically detected from web browser
    Our web browser integration always collects and passes the browser's user agent into the download job automatically when you download a file. Make sure you have the latest version.
    Poor and buggy RSS reader
    Please send us support requests if you have found bugs/issues in the RSS reader. Our developers will certainly look into them.
    Unacceptable user interface
    Thanks for this feedback We're always improving the interface with each new release - e.g. check out the new release with its notify popup window and bandwidth meter.
    Fails to retrieve the correct file name for files received from server side pages whereas IE, Firefox and Opera can
    Try the latest release. We do get the right file names for Rapidshare, Megaupload, etc.
    Freeware download managers like Orbit Downloader, Free Download Manager and FlashGet have none of the above disadvantages
    ...but do their customer support team respond to you when you have an issue? No. Do these products have many other known issues other than those listed above? Yes. Do these products have extensive help and tutorials? No. Do they have extra features that let you download even more content from the web? No. We're confident DownloadStudio has significant advantages over other free/paid download managers. And, we're always trying to improve DownloadStudio based on feedback like yours
    Does not check the integrity of downloaded files
    Agree. This is already scheduled for an upcoming release.

Many thanks again for taking the time to send us this very useful information.

Best regards,

Paul Schumann.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thanks for the great feedback! Its really appreciated.
    Pleasure was all mine. Although, I feel obliged to comment on your responses.

First up, are you running the latest version of DownloadStudio? Your issues do look like you are running an older version of DownloadStudio (prior to v5.x). We just released v5.1 today and I recommend you try this new version as many of your comments have been resolved already.
    I AM running version 5.

That's strange. We can run Sniffer on our test computers in non-admin accounts, and also no other users have reported this issue to date.
    On my computer, the Select Network Device list is often empty. To work around this issue, I run Sniffer in admin mode using Run As... command, exit, and then run the Sniffer normally.

I'll report back after update to 5.1.

Again, strange. We can run Opera on our test computers in non-admin accounts and DownloadStudio integration works fine.
    As of now, "Detect" button is unable to find Opera 9.5 on my computer when DownloadStudio is running under a Standard User Account. When running under Administrative account, "Detect" button finds Opera. (Nevertheless, it is useless to do so, as I don't run DownloadStudio under administrative accounts.)

I'll try to update my Opera and DownloadStudio to 9.61 and 5.1 I'll report back later.

Not sure I understand, when a download has failed, or you have stopped it, the next time you resume it, it will be downloaded from where you left off. Or, if you wish, you can start it from the beginning. I don't think that's cumbersome.
    Look at the Download/Resume drop-down menu: It has separate entries to resume "Pending", "Stopped", "Completed", "Failed" and "Scheduled" downloads. I hardly see any difference between the "Stopped", "Failed" and "Pending". Currently, to resume all my incomplete downloads I have to issue three commands "Resume Stopped", "Resume Pending" and "Resume Failed" and each time answer a question and check a check box. That is 9 clicks for task which I expect being done with a single click. That is cumbersome.

In my opinion, there should only be two types of downloads: "Completed" and "Incomplete". I expect to see "Completed" downloads only in the "History" section and nowhere else, just in case I want to re-download them. For "Incomplete" downloads, I expect the "Resume All" command to (at least try to) download them from where they are left off without asking me questions like "Do you want to Restart or Resume?" If I want to restart any of them, I will issue a "Restart" command.

We'll look at its height and make sure its a standard size. BTW - Its optional to install the toolbar into Internet Explorer, so if you don't like it then just don't install it, or just hide it.
    I do not spend time to comment on something that I don't like. If I have commented on toolbar that's because I find it extremely useful. So, good job.

However, I maintain that the toolbar is overly large and needs to be compacted, both in term of height and length. Currently, it occupies a complete row, so it cannot be in the same row with other toolbars. It would be nice to have a customization feature that allow button texts to be hidden and to remove the "DownloadStudio" button which I don't use.

Our web browser integration always collects and passes the browser's user agent into the download job automatically when you download a file. Make sure you have the latest version.
    Is that so? Then it is very strange to have a "HTTP protocol user agent" parameter in Options dialog box under Connection->HTTP node. If the value is actually collected from Web Browser, then what is the use of this parameter in Options dialog box?

...but do their customer support team respond to you when you have an issue? No. Do these products have many other known issues other than those listed above? Yes. Do these products have extensive help and tutorials? No. Do they have extra features that let you download even more content from the web? No. We're confident DownloadStudio has significant advantages over other free/paid download managers. And, we're always trying to improve DownloadStudio based on feedback like yours
    As I always tell to my students, a good application developer only looks to the strengths of its competitors. Looking at the weaknesses of the competitor only creates the false confidence of "our product is already perfect" -- which is what happened to Microsoft Internet Explorer 6. Now, I didn't mean to boast on you by setting the example of DownloadStudio's competitors. So, only watch their strengths.

ADDENDUM:
    1. Please note that certain integrations can only be done under an Administrative account and thus must be carried out using the setup program. For example, DownloadStudio cannot install its Internet Explorer toolbar when I run under Standard User Account. (Running under an Administrative account and integrating with IE resolves the issue.) It can also not install its Flash object helper, which shows a hover-button on Adobe Flash. Such options must be grayed out when program runs under Standard User Accounts.

2. Now I understand why history didn't work: I have checked the "Remove download job after the download is complete" box. In fact, I now realize that History is nothing more than a time/date filter that displays download jobs whose status is completed. I expected this check box to move the "Completed" jobs from "Download Jobs" node (and its subnodes) into "Download History" node (and its subnodes).
    Last edited by FleetCommand; 10-24-2008 at 10:03 PM.

As of now, "Detect" button is unable to find Opera 9.5 on my computer when DownloadStudio is running under a Standard User Account.
    We reproduced the problem after more testing under Vista and have fixed the problem. The fix will be included in the next release. For the moment, as a workaround, try using the "Browse" button on the Options dialog (Opera page) to manually locate "Opera.exe" on your computer. Then click the Install Changes button to integrate. Hopefully, that should get you up and running. Let me know.

On my computer, the Select Network Device list is often empty
    We did fix a problem for Vista users whereby WinPcap (a third-party network analysis module we're using in URL Sniffer) must be run in Administrator mode once for each Vista session. This fix was applied in v5.0.4. So when you run URL Sniffer the first time for each Vista session, you will see a small application want to start up. You should allow this to run as it solves this WinPcap problem. We just re-tested and its working fine on standard user accounts.

In my opinion, there should only be two types of downloads: "Completed" and "Incomplete".
    Understand now. We'll look at streamlining resumes.

It would be nice to have a customization feature that allow button texts to be hidden
    Nice idea. We'll look into that for a future release.

what is the use of this parameter in Options dialog box?
    Using DownloadStudio, you can create download jobs to download files without using your web browser. For example, you can create a download job that downloads all the images from a web site, or downloads a streaming media file that was playing in Windows Media player or WinAmp. So, the user agent (and referer) is editable and you can customize it to whatever the server requires you to get the content. In the case of web browser integration, we automatically pass the user agent (and referer and cookie) into the download job since it is most likely that this user agent will get you the content you are after. However, you can override it if you want in the download settings for a download job.

We'll look into the issues you raised and we'll have fixes in upcoming versions. Let us know if you find any other issues. Thanks again for posting your comments.

Paul Schumann

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide

Excellent Work, Paul.

My experiments shows that you are indeed right: The "User-Agent" parameter only applies for manually-added downloads. So, my last request here would be to add a text note over that parameter in the Options dialog box that informs users that this parameter "only applies for manual downloads for which a User-Agent cannot be automatically fetched".

I thank you for your fast responses and caring. I'm indeed looking forward for the next release of DownloadStudio.

Keep up the good work

Just to let you know, DownloadStudio v5.1.1 was released today and it includes several fixes - one being the Opera issue you reported recently.

Let me know if you have further issues with Opera.

Best regards,

Paul Schumann.