Thread: URL Sniffer Issue on Windows XP Still Unresolved

Default URL Sniffer Issue on Windows XP Still Unresolved

Greetings.

I have just downloaded the most recent version of DownloadStudio. URL Sniffer issue which I had previously reported still persists: When URL Sniffer is run under a standard user account on Windows XP, it does not detect any network device and thus, it cannot detect any URL.

We have confirmed this is an issue. It is caused by the third party sniffing library we use, see the winpcap website for more information:

http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-7

On vista we elevate the privileges the first time you run sniffer, however on XP will have the issue as you described.

We can't offer a fix at this stage, but we will investigate how to get around this.

For now I can only suggest a workaround. When you want to run URL sniffer, click the right hand mouse button on the shortcut to URL sniffer, select the 'Run As' menu item and enter a username with administrative privileges. You will need to do this every time you reboot you machine.
    Last edited by Brent; 11-21-2008 at 03:42 PM.
    Conceiva. Download it with DownloadStudio. Stream it with Mezzmo.

Two important note:
    First, your workaround for Windows Vista also does not work for me. Perhaps because in Windows Vista, I use a Standard User Account in which innately inhibits elevation.

Second, the WinPCap FAQ notes something very interesting: WinPCape requires an administrative execution because it dynamically installs a device driver! Perhaps DownloadStudio development team can utilize Microsoft Sysinternals suite of tools to track down this driver and then install it statically alongside DownloadStudio, so that this driver is run upon every reboot. This way, DownloadStudio WILL run under standard user accounts.

In any case, I'd advise you not to let this case linger to next major release. If WinPCape do not take action, then DownloadStudio team will have enough time to dump it and use an alternative solution.
    Last edited by FleetCommand; 11-22-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Thank you for your comments.

We will investigate possible solutions and do our best to find a resolution to this problem.
    Conceiva. Download it with DownloadStudio. Stream it with Mezzmo.