Thread: Quad Core AMD vs Intel for Mezzmo

Default Quad Core AMD vs Intel for Mezzmo

I'm in the process of building a computer dedicated for Mezzmo as a media server. Does anyone have experience using a quad core AMD processor versus a quad core Intel? I noticed on the Mezzmo product page that it states Conceiva is an Intel software partner, so I'm wondering if it's optimized for Intel processors. I was planning to build my computer with an Intel i5 2500k (quad core 3.4GHz) at the heart of it, but all compatible motherboards were just recalled, so I'm considering AMD.

Any thoughts/experiences/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Adric Guest

We might have an Intel partnership but we don't have any optimizations for Intel specific processors. We recommend you get the fastest and most powerful processor you can get at your price point.

Intel has historically had the advantage when encoding/transcoding - check many of the recent benchmarks. AMD, IMHO, is the better "bang for the buck" processor. That said, I have AMD in my Mezzmo server and my main machine, and Intels scattered around in my kids' machines. Though it pains me to say it, I'd go Intel if you're building a Mezzmo server from scratch.

I have since looked at the benchmarks, and yes, Intel comes out on top in quad core vs. quad core. I have also decided to use a 6-core AMD 1075T. I compared it to the last generation of i5's (the ones with motherboards that actually work properly) and the AMD comes out on top for video transcoding. It it surprising, though, how much more powerful intel processors are when compared core to core and clock speed to clock speed.