Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony BDP-S370/570 - Does anyone have Mezzmo working 100% with it?

Default Sony BDP-S370/570 - Does anyone have Mezzmo working 100% with it?

I'm doing my best trying to get Mezzmo to work properly with my PS3 and Sony BDP-S370. I think the PS3 is pretty much set (a few small issues still exist, see #2), but I'm having a number of issues with the BDP-S370. I've stated them in numerous other threads, but I'd like to consolidate them here to get a 'head-count' of people with similar problems and potential solutions.

1) DivX/AVI files are streamed fairly well. However, I occasionally find that Mezzmo just stops playing in the middle of a file and continues to the next, almost as if it has reached the end of the file. I can replay the file and fast forward to just before that part of the file and it plays through the poinit with no issues. No other media server I've tried (about 8 others) has exhibited this problem. I'm not sure what the problem is, but the suggestion has been to use the "No Divx" Sony BDP profile. Unfortunately I lose fast forward/rewind functionality when doing this, which leads me to my next issue...

2) I'm completely unable to fast forward or rewind when any file is transcoding (the player states that the button is not available for that 'disc'). I have a busy one year old son who make it nearly impossible to watch most movies in their entirety, so not having the ability to fast forward to a point in a file is a real issue. When my wife and I have an hour we can't really spend 45 minutes of it waiting for the first half of a movie to pass by so we can finish it...

3) File formats, mainly mp4's, that are natively supported by the player when playing over USB many times cannot be streamed directly by Mezzmo. Often they can be transcoded to play, but this further perpetuates problem #2. However, many of the mp4's just won't play at all, with the player stating the file is corrupt or unplayable, whereas via USB they play fine.

Has anyone been able to solve any/all of these problems for their BDP-S370/S570? I've tried many other profiles, but they seem to often fix one problem (i.e. consistent MP4 transcoded playback) but introduce new problems in the process (i.e. wrong aspect ratio). I'm somewhat at a loss since I'd love to be able to get everything working 100%, but I worry I may have to learn the intricacies of the profiles and DLNA protocol to find a solution, which, between work and a one year old, isn't much of a possibility.

Anyone have any ideas? To the valued Conceiva staff, I will respect your decision if you choose to delete this thread due to repetition of what I've stated in threads elsewhere.
    Last edited by Aaron407; 02-13-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Hello Aaron. I've had many of the same issues as you describe. My solution was to convert my entire video library into a format that the player plays fine without transcoding. This does three critical things I think. 1) It uses no CPU power on the server when playing back the video, 2) doesn't take up any disk space on the server for the transcoded files and 3) prevents video stops and starts while transcoded. Fast forward and rewind work good. This may seem like an overkill solution and I'll grant you that. However, every video I have plays w/o transcoding on this player (570), the PS3, the Bravia TV, and several Samsung BDP's as well using nearly the default profiles for the devices. Sure, it takes time to convert the files, but in the end, the system works flawlessly and the video quality can even be improved in the process and you only need to do it once. The format of the video I'm using is H264 for video and AC3 stereo for audio inside an m2ts container. Probably not what you were looking for in terms of a solution to your problem but this workaround did it for me.

Thanks for your response, I certainly appreciate seeing other people's perspectives on the issues. I guess what I'm struggling with is accepting a loss of functionality in the ff/rw sense in an effort to be able to utilize a 'feature' such as transcoding. As of right now I'm coming to the conclusion that I should likely just pre-transcode everything and be done with it, like you mention, rather than continuing to fight with it. The other issue relating to DivX still remains, though, so I'm hoping there may be a small profile tweak to help it perform better.

This may be mentioned in another thread that I wasn't able to come across with my initial search, but is it possible to do a full pre-transcode of all files in a folder through Mezzmo? I would like to essentially replace the incompatible MP4 files with the transcoded ones if possible, but ultimately delete the original MP4s to save space.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Pre-transcoding is a planned feature, so it's not available yet, but it is coming soon... We're still working on making the BDP profiles better, so give us a few more days and hopefully I'll be able to give you a better device profile to try.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

Great, thanks Dennis. I'll sit tight and see what you guys come up with.

Aaron, I too have the same problems with the Sony BDP S370. I will wait along with you to see if the folks at Conceiva can tweak the profile.
    The Program is great and the folks at Conceiva have really listened when I have problems. When they ask for feedback its only to make the program much better. If it doesn't work. I'll take my SonyBDP back to Costco and get another DLNA compatible unit.

A bit off-topic, but Sony will soon release their new line of Bluray players BDP-S380, S480, S580, S780.
    There are some minor updates to them but I have not been able to find anything about format support with DLNA.
    Anyone found anything regarding that?
    Maybe it's a good idea to wait for them...?
    http://www.sonyinsider.com/2011/01/0...e-up-for-2011/
    Last edited by FrankVincent; 02-15-2011 at 12:16 AM.

I have the same Problem with my Sony BDP S373. Divx sometimes stopps in the middle and skips to next file.

I tried everything whats possible without any perfect results

I also have to start mezzmo in WinXP Mode because of an error: Mezzmo Logo remains on the Desktop after starting the Program in minimized mode. My Sys: Win7 64bit.

I thing this divx issue has something to do with the reported filelength to the BDP...

I dont really want to start transcoding all the time. Most of my files are divx...

Hope this problem will befixed soon...

Thx,

HTC
    Last edited by HTC; 02-18-2011 at 03:23 PM.

@dpetr: I have a BDP-S370 and have been thinking of a solution along the line like what you did. The manual does list that the S370 will play .m2ts format files natively, so it would be cleanest solution for me. Can you please tell me what s/w you used to rip your movies into a .m2ts container? Thanks.

Hi,

Just wanted to jump in on Aarons post as i see similar issues with the BDP-S370, mainly points 1 and 2 but intermittantly.

Dennis, i notice you were working on a new device profile, would be great if you could let me know also when it would be available to try.

Cheers,

Syndy.