Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mezzmo over Wild Media Server?

Another voice: I used WMS for a couple years. When I started, I tried 4 or 5 other players, and WMS was the only one I could find that would reliably play all file types and reliably deliver subtitles. But the product is terribly complex, with no documentation, and the tech support is surly at best, and usually non-existent. Add to that the strange licensing: Every time you get a new DVD player or TV, for whatever reason -- even if the old ones are no longer in use -- WMS makes you buy a new license.

A couple months ago, I tried Serviio, and I like it. I really like their "MediaBrowser", which runs on the web and on my Android tablet, so that I can access my library easily.
    (For me, it's more about the catalog than the player: While I'm listening to music via my server/DVD/TV, I like to be able to browse my movies on my tablet to figure out which flick I'm going to watch tonight.)

But, even Serviio *occasionally* has problems with delivery to my DVD/TV; last night, a .mkv I wanted to watch had a lot of stutter and stall problems with Serviio, but the same file played fine via Mezzmo.

I've used Mezzmo for only two days, but so far like it a lot. I really like the fact that metadata comes from IMDb, instead of The Movie Database that Serviio uses; IMDb's info is, imho, more complete and accurate. Now, I'm just waiting for the Android version... <sigh>

Btw, for me it isn't really about price. I will pay (and have paid) for software that works and that is well-supported. Prices for both Mezzmo and Serviio are very reasonable, I think, and support is good. (I do have something of an allergy to subscription pricing, and I'm glad that neither vendor has adopted that.)
    Last edited by costero; 04-25-2014 at 01:54 AM.