Thread: Was my download too big?

Default Was my download too big?

Brent & support staff,

I installed DS a few days ago and began to download from a site without a problem. I stopped that download after 110GB and attempted to download from other sites. I didn't have a problem with the first site but now all other sites have major pauses in download bandwidth. It downloads a burst of 1,100KB then it goes back to 0KB for about 20 seconds and then it does another burst and continues the same cycle. I've tried several sites and all have the same problem.

I installed DS on another computer for further diagnosis and all sites download normally. The specs on both PCs surpass the recommendations (dual 3ghz processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) so the problem is not resources.

My only conclusion is that the initial download was so big and it's causing DS to slow down for some reason.

I took the following steps hoping it would help but nothing has to this point:

1. I deleted the initial download job of 110GB
    2. I deleted all references to this download in the categories section (i.e. video, music, site files)
    3. I moved and renamed the original folder which the 110GB site was downloaded to

Am I on the right track with my conclusion? Is there a cache that can be cleared? What steps can be taken to have DS perform optimally?

I researched this in the FAQ, forum and Google yet have not found anything similar in nature so I am turning to you for help.

Thanks in advance.

The large site download you did should not effect your download speeds once the job has stopped/finished.

You should note that site jobs will vary greatly in bandwidth usage, unlike a single file download which should provide a stable download speed. This is due to the download potentially containing many small files from a variety of web servers. Also after we are downloading the files we are parsing the content for links to continue the site job. You could try increasing the number of connections on the job queue tab to increase download speed.

One possibility is you have maybe turned on throttling of the bandwidth usage. This can be set on the job queue tab and may be limiting the speed of your downloads.

If you want to go back to the original settings and clean database for downloadstudio, you can try an uninstall and reinstall of the software.
    Conceiva. Download it with DownloadStudio. Stream it with Mezzmo.

Default Why do downloads drop in percentage?

Why does the downloads drop when i'm downloading a file from a website? Is it the server i'm downloading from?

There a many reasons why a download can drop out.

If you can provide a URL that this is happening, please provide it to our support team, you can fill out a support request on our web site. Please provide the url and any additional information, such as if it always drops out at the same download point. The url will tell us what sort of download it is, http, https, ftp, streaming media, etc. and we can try and reproduce the issue.

It is also worthwhile to check the job conversation of a job that has failed as it may provide more information.
    Conceiva. Download it with DownloadStudio. Stream it with Mezzmo.