Thread: Treat Recorded Tv as a Special Case

Default Treat Recorded Tv as a Special Case

Hi

I am currently evaluating Mezzmo and I shall definitely be purchasing it! I had thought DLNA to be a rather useless feature of my Tv but not any more...

My primary interest in Mezzmo is for the viewing of Recorded TV from my media centre PC in a second room. The PC runs Windows 7 and thus records using Windows Media Center in wtv format. The TV is a Pansonic Viera 2011 model.

I woud like to suggest that you consider treating Recorded Tv as a special case separate from Video with different configuration options for the following reasons:

Recorded Tv is much more dynamic as recordings are added and deleted than say a relatively static music library. Also the number of files involved is likely to be small say < 100. Media PC are often set to only wake up to perform recordings and when needed for playback. I find the current library update schedule in Mezzmo a little limiting as it is at most once per day and if the PC is asleep doesn't actually run. It seems to me that Record Tv really needs a very much much more frequent directory scan looking for adds and deletes that is perhaps active the whole time that the PC is running.

Thumbnails. Well I was going to mention that on H264 video that the image is often just a grey swirl but I see that you have added a -ss 3 parameter to ffmpeg in the latest version that resolves this - so thanks! On a separate issue I normally set TV recordings to start a few minutes early as some channels do occasionally start early and clocks can drift out of synchronisation. Unfortunately this means that the thumbnails that I see are usually of the previous program. I would like to be able to set a thumbnail initial offset for recorded tv to match the PC recording start padding.

Recorded Tv meta data. I only know about Window Media Centre. The title delivered to the DLNA renderer is the file name and the date shown is I think the file system modified date (which is not necessarily the date of the recording if its been part played by media center and the position updated).

Copuld you consider parsing the names of Wtv files in oder to show the tite and recording date?
    If the file name is 'The Drowning Pool_BBC ONE_2010_08_24_23_30_00.wtv'- then the data before the first underscore is the title whilst the date and time of the recording follow the channel.

Alternatively ffmpeg reports all the embedded meta data -e.g for the recording above there is a title and genre - see below.

Steve.

[mpeg2video @ 025dbb00] mpeg_decode_postinit() failure
    Last message repeated 10 times
    [wtv @ 002a8b00] parser not found for codec dvb_teletext, packets or times may be invalid.
    Input #0, wtv, from 'C:\Users\steve\Record Tv from Pc\The Drowning Pool_BBC ONE_2010_08_24_23_30_00.wtv':
    Metadata:
    WM/MediaClassPrimaryID: db9830bd-3ab3-4fab-8a371a995f7ff74
    WM/MediaClassSecondaryID: ba7f258a-62f7-47a9-b21f4651c42a000
    Title : The Drowning Pool
    WM/SubTitleDescription: Tense thriller. A private detective finds himself embroiled in sin and corruption when he is hired by his ex-lover to trace the source of a mysterious blackmail letter, accusing the woman of cheating on her wealthy husband. But as the private eye begins h
    genre : Film;Crime
    WM/OriginalReleaseTime: 1975
    WM/MediaCredits : Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward/Anthony Franciosa/Murray Hamilton/Gail Strickland/Melanie Griffith/Linda Haynes/Richard Jaeckel/Paul Koslo/Joe Canutt;Stuart Rosenberg;;
    service_provider: BBC ONE
    service_name : BBC1 West
    WM/MediaOriginalChannel: 1
    WM/MediaOriginalChannelSubNumber: 0
    WM/MediaOriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2002-07-20T23:00:00Z
    WM/MediaOriginalRunTime: 71968205483
    WM/MediaIsStereo: false
    WM/MediaIsRepeat: true
    WM/MediaIsLive : false
    WM/MediaIsTape : false
    WM/MediaIsDelay : false
    WM/MediaIsSubtitled: false
    WM/MediaIsMovie : true
    WM/MediaIsPremiere: false
    WM/MediaIsFinale: false
    WM/MediaIsSAP : false
    WM/MediaIsSport : false
    WM/ParentalRating: ***
    WM/Provider : MediaCenterDefault
    WM/ProviderRating: ***
    WM/VideoClosedCaptioning: false
    WM/WMRVEncodeTime: 2010-08-24 22:30:03
    WM/WMRVServiceID: !Generated!094fe6ee0bd94787ac5b15624763f397
    WM/WMRVProgramID: !MCProgram!1696328
    WM/WMRVRequestID: 0
    WM/WMRVScheduleItemID: 0
    WM/WMRVQuality : 3
    WM/WMRVOriginalSoftPrePadding: 600
    WM/WMRVOriginalSoftPostPadding: 600
    WM/WMRVHardPrePadding: -300
    WM/WMRVHardPostPadding: 0
    WM/WMRVATSCContent: false
    WM/WMRVDTVContent: true
    WM/WMRVHDContent: false
    WM/MediaThumbType: 3
    Duration : 73496716366
    WM/WMRVEndTime : 2010-08-25 00:32:32
    WM/WMRVBitrate : 3.848659
    WM/WMRVKeepUntil: -1
    WM/WMRVActualSoftPrePadding: 1011
    WM/WMRVActualSoftPostPadding: 600
    WM/WMRVContentProtected: false
    WM/WMRVContentProtectedPercent: 0
    WM/WMRVExpirationSpan: 9223372036854775807
    WM/WMRVInBandRatingSystem: 255
    WM/WMRVInBandRatingLevel: 255
    WM/WMRVInBandRatingAttributes: 0
    WM/WMRVWatched : true
    PRIVATE/VideoWidth: 1024
    PRIVATE/VideoHeight: 576
    PRIVATE/dwAspectRatioX: 1
    PRIVATE/dwAspectRatioY: 1
    Duration: 02:02:30.01, start: 2.106589, bitrate: 3848 kb/s
    Stream #0:0[0x67](eng): Subtitle: dvb_subtitle
    Stream #0:1[0x68](nar): Audio: mp2 (P[0][0][0] / 0x0050), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 256 kb/s (visual impaired)
    Stream #0:2[0x69](eng): Audio: mp2 (P[0][0][0] / 0x0050), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 256 kb/s
    Stream #0:3[0x6a](eng): Subtitle: dvb_teletext
    Stream #0:4[0x6b]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p, 720x576 [SAR 64:45 DAR 16:9], 15000 kb/s, 47.73 fps, 25 tbr, 10000k tbn, 50 tbc
    Stream #0:5[0x0]: Attachment: mjpeg
    Metadata:
    title : TV Thumbnail
    At least one output file must be specified

---> DB Level Info: 8, 4
    ---> Frame rate: 47.73
    ---> Aspect ratio: 16:9

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the suggestion. We actually already have plans to expand on the metadata we store/use, so once that's all implemented (and we'll process FFmpeg's metadata as well), then you'll be able to sort these out using all the new keywords in playlists.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

Hi Dennis

Thanks for replying - that sounds good.

Steve

Steve,

I also use WMC to record TV - may I suggest using something like MC-TV Converter (http://mctvconverter.vivolum.net/con...ort/index.html)

It can modify filenames as it converts the WTV to other media formats.

I've been using this kind of set up to convert and re-organize my WTV recordings for Mezzmo.