Thread: Mezzmo 2.5.5.0 & Windows Media Player 11

Default Mezzmo 2.5.5.0 & Windows Media Player 11

Hello,

I'm looking at the evaluation version of Mezzmo 2.5.5.0 and having connectivity issues between the server and Windows Media Player.

Here's the setup:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP-1 desktop system. Running Mezzmo. The machine is also running Windows Internet Connection Sharing on a dialup line. The connection to my other machine is via a Netgear Wifi card running in infastructure mode. File and print services are working w/o a problem. The machine is not connected to a Homegroup but to a Workgroup for classic file sharing. IPv6 is not bound the the Wifi card. Windows Advanced Firewall is on and Mezzmo has opened the correct ports for its usage.

Toshiba laptop running WinXP 32-bit SP-3+. Running Windows Media Player 11. Windows Media Player Sharing service is off. No firewall is running. Connected to the Win7 box workgroup via internal Wifi.
    IPv6 is not bound to the Wifi adapter.

The problem:

Mezzmo sees the laptop via UPnP as it adds it to the connected device list. I changed the profile from Generic NTSC to Windows Media Player and restarted the media server. I then started WMP11 on the laptop. The laptop never sees the Mezzmo media library. I turned the firewall off on the desktop, restarted both Mezzmo and WMP11. Same issue, WMP11 never sees Mezzmo's library.

IF I reverse the scenario and run Mezzmo on the laptop and WMP12 on the desktop, WMP12 will see the Mezzmo library. Incidentally, if I run Mezzmo and WMP12 on the desktop WMP12 will also see Mezzmo's library.

I tried enabling the diagnostic logs in Mezzmo, however no output is produced. There is also nothing indicated in the Windows event logs.

I've searched the forums and cannot find anything really pertaining to this issue. I've looked at what ports are in use on the desktop machine and Mezzmo appears to be listening on the correct ports. I've removed and re-installed WMP11 on the laptop. Still no joy...

I would like to get this working as Mezzmo seems to be a really cool product and would fit my requirements quite nicely.

Would someone kindly lend some assistance? I've been at this for too long! There is obviously something that I am missing...

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Jan

Hello Jan,

In my understanding WMP11 on Windows XP can only be a DLNA server, not a client, thus it doesn't see other servers. You may want to try installing XBMC (for example) on the XP and that should see Mezzmo.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hello Jan,

In my understanding WMP11 on Windows XP can only be a DLNA server, not a client, thus it doesn't see other servers. You may want to try installing XBMC (for example) on the XP and that should see Mezzmo.
    Hello Dennis,

Thanks very much for the reply. I downloaded and installed XBMC and while it can be configured to see the Mezzmo media library, IMO, it is a cumbersome, resource-hogging piece of junk. It taxes this older laptop.

What was Microsoft thinking with WMP11 on WinXP only allowing it to be a server? Are there any other alternatives to XBMC?

Kind regards,

Jan
    Blue Mountains, NSW
    Last edited by jsmoller; 03-09-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by jsmoller View Post
    installed XBMC ... it is a cumbersome, resource-hogging piece of junk.
    I also tried XBMC and totally agree with your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHare View Post
    I also tried XBMC and totally agree with your comments!
    Hello IrishHare,

Are you in the same predicament as myself? Have you found a suitable alternative to WMP11? This laptop does not have the resources to to upgrade to Win7 and XP is very stable.

I'm currently looking at MediaMonkey v4 which has a UPnP and DLNA server and client. I've not found the magic yet to connect with Mezzmo.

I'm a 30 year IT Professional and I am used to making things play together w/o scissors. This is QUITE annoying!

Thanks for your comment.

Regards,

Jan
    --------------------
    Retired cat herder

VLC 2.0 is a UPnP Client and works great with Mezzmo ( With WMP Profile )

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    VLC 2.0 is a UPnP Client and works great with Mezzmo ( With WMP Profile )
    Thanks for the reply, Dion.

I'll have a look at VLC Player. MediaMonkey v4.03 sees the Mezzmo media library and does play the media files. For a supposedly close-to-zero configuration service this has been a bitch to find compatible clients/ servers.

Regards,

Jan
    --------------------
    Retired cat herder