Thread: Would you like to translate DownloadStudio?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Would you like to translate DownloadStudio?

We welcome people to offer translations for all our products including DownloadStudio. Below is all the information you need to translate the software.

1. Install DownloadStudio

First step is to install the latest version of DownloadStudio onto your computer.

2. Make a copy of the language files

To translate to a new language, you should make a new copy of the language files. They can be found in the following folder:

C:\Programs Files\Conceiva\DownloadStudio\languages

The language files you need to translate are the following:

ds_en.txt - Main DownloadStudio program text
    av_en.txt - DownloadStudio AV capture program text
    sn_en.txt - DownloadStudio Sniffer program text
    fx_en.txt - Firefox integration text
    ie_en.txt - Internet Explorer integration text
    ie2_en.txt - More Internet Explorer integration text
    au_en.txt - Autoupdate text

Make a copy of all of these files and rename them, adding a two letter suffix for your language. For example if you are translating to Spanish, you should rename all the above files with a *_es.txt suffix, i.e. ds_es.txt.

3. Edit the headers of the new files:

Each language file (except for fx_en.txt) has a header that needs to be edited.

Here is an example of the header section:

// Conceiva String Definitions file
    // VERSION : 2.0
    // Language : English
    // Copyright (c) 2010 Conceiva
    //
    // NOTE: This File must be unicode encoded
    //

ID_STRING_TABLE_VERSION=2.0.0
    ID_STRING_TABLE_LANGUAGE=English
    ID_STRING_TABLE_AUTHOR=Conceiva Pty. Ltd.
    ID_STRING_TABLE_LANGID=9
    ID_STRING_TABLE_SUBLANGID=0

You should change this to match the language you are translating to. For example, if you are translating to Spanish (Español):

ID_STRING_TABLE_VERSION=2.0.0
    ID_STRING_TABLE_LANGUAGE=Español
    ID_STRING_TABLE_AUTHOR=<Your name here>
    ID_STRING_TABLE_LANGID=10
    ID_STRING_TABLE_SUBLANGID=0

You can email our support team to find out the language ID for the language you are translating, or you can find it out by visiting this site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...93(VS.85).aspx

4. Run DownloadStudio to see your language menu item appear

After copying the new language files, re-start DownloadStudio and click the View -> Languages menu item to select your (newly created) language - e.g. Español. You will
    see English text. Don't worry - as you translate the TXT files you will see your translations appear.

5. Notes about translating the language files

(a) Start with the ds_xx.txt file, since you will see the translations in this file when running DownloadStudio.
    (b) You should edit the TXT files with Notepad, or a text editor that can save Unicode Text. If you save the TXT files as ANSI, your language file will not be read in DownloadStudio.
    (c) Inside the TXT files, all text to be translated follows the same format:

IDXXXXX=<text to be translated>

Examples:

IDOK=OK

(In this case, just translate "OK")

IDC_DEFAULT=&Default Settings

(In this case, just translate "&Default Settings")

(d) there are special characters in <text to be translated> that you should not touch (i.e. do not translate). These are:

- & (this puts a underscore under the next character)
    - ... (this tells users a dialog will be displayed when clicking this button/menu item)
    - / (this is just a separator/delimiter)
    - : (this is just a separator/delimiter)
    - > (this tells users a popup will be displayed or dialog will be expanded)
    - \n (this adds a carriage return to the text)
    - \t (this adds a tab to the text)
    - *. (this is used for file extensions)
    - %s (this is where a string will be added when running DownloadStudio)
    - %d (this is where an integer will be added when running DownloadStudio)
    - %.0f (this is where a floating point number will be added when running DownloadStudio)
    - [ (this is just a separator/delimiter)
    - ] (this is just a separator/delimiter)

(e) do *not* use the [Enter] key in the text you are translating. i.e. IDXXXXX=<text to be translated> should be on one line.

(f) Try to keep the translated text a similar length to the English text. Shorter is perfectly fine. Longer can be a problem, as the text may not fit on a button or in a dialog. A few characters longer is generally fine.

e.g.

IDOK=OK (Original English text)
    IDOK=ConfirmToSaveNow (Your translated text. Bad! Too long and will not fit in the button)

(g). IMPORTANT! Please use the following web site to find terms in your language:

http://www.microsoft.com/language/en/us/search.mspx

This web site is very useful. Microsoft has listed all their recommended terms and you can find the same term in your language. Do not make up terms - use the recommended terms!
    They are Microsoft recommendations for often used terms used in Windows programs.

Another useful resource is:

http://translationproject.org/latest/libexif

This web site has translations for many of the image, digital camera and EXIF terms listed in the DownloadStudio TXT files.

6. Checking your translations

You can see your changes as you translate. Just save your TXT file as you go. Close DownloadStudio and start it again. The TXT file is read upon start-up and the translations will magically appear.

7. Be careful

Save your TXT file as you go! Make backups! Just in case!

8. Contact us

Contact us at the Conceiva support desk for help or more information about translations.

You should also contact us to submit your translations to be included in the next version of DownloadStudio.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Brent; 05-17-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    Conceiva. Download it with DownloadStudio. Stream it with Mezzmo.

Thumbs up Thanks to WYLEK, for Russian and Ukrainian translations of DownloadStudio

A big thank-you to WYLEK, for translating DownloadStudio into Russian and Ukrainian.

I am sure many users will appreciate the translations, which will be added into the next update for DownloadStudio.

Thumbs up

# New: French language support.
    # New: Czech language support.
    I was right! Well done guys, two languages are added!

Bahía Blanca, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina

I am interested in making the translation to spanish. However, how do I know that are no others doing the same thing I am ? Is there a way to synchronize our efforts ?
    Thanks in advance. Abacrotto.

Thank you for your interest in translating DownloadStudio into Spanish.

There are no other DownloadStudio users currently translating the software to Spanish, as far as I know. You are welcome to start translating any of the language files.

If there are other Spanish users who would like to assist, please post here, or contact Conceiva support and we will help synchronize a DownloadStudio Spanish translation effort.

Bahía Blanca, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina

I have a problem. I have translated 10-15% of the textfile. However, when I reload the program, everything is wrong. I am using UltraEdit for the translation of the strings. I think I have followed all the rules you described up here. What should I do in order to get my translation working again ? Can I send you my translation file for you to watch it and tell me what did I do in the wrong way ? Thanks again. Abacrotto.