Thread: How much CPU power is enough for transcoding 1080p on-the-fly????

Default How much CPU power is enough for transcoding 1080p on-the-fly????

I know this is going to vary depending on the source format and the capabilites of the device doing the playback, but how much CPU power is needed to trancode an 1080p HD video on-the-fly from a camcorder (like a Canon Vixia HFS10) to a Sony Blu-ray player (such as a BDP-S370 or BDP-S590 - I have both of these).

Mezzmo is transcoding the video on-the-fly for both of these players. The BDP-S370 I can understand the need to transcode, but not the BDP-S590. If I use the Sony BDP (2012 Models) (can't remember the exact profile name) Mezzmo trancodes the file for playback, if I use the Sony Bravia KDL (2012 Models) it plays the file native.

OH... WAIT............ I just remembered, the files are not the original recordings from the camcorder - they were re-renderd under a different format in Sony Vegas Pro 10 (I'll have to check on the container and formats that were used), but the files are still not a Blu-ray rip- only video shot from a camcorder. But it still brings up an interesting thing, my BDP-S590 seems to work better using the Sony Bravia KDL (2012 Models) profile than the Sony BDP (2012 Models) profile - seems the BDP profile may still need a little work.

Any way, back to the original question. How much CPU power is enough to transcode 1080p video on-the-fly? I put together a purpose-built computer just for running Mezzmo and it STILL doesn't seem to be enough

It has
    Intel Core i7-3770 prosessor (quad core with hyper-threading - not K model so no overclocking)

Intel DZ77GA-70K motherboard (using on CPU graphics and onboard sound, again no overclocking on non-K processor)

16GB G-Skill Ripjaw X series ram running at 1600mhz (XMP profile 1 on motherboard)

Two 1TB and two 2TB - all Western Digital Caviar Black HDD's (OS and Mezzmo on one 1TB HDD, Mezzmo Transcode folder on the other 1TB HDD, media on the two 2TB HDD's)

Windows 7 Hone Premium.

Transcoding seems to top out at 22 to 26 fps, too slow for on-the-fly streaming.

How much power is enough?????

Also... there was talk about starting a thread with the sole purpose of discussing PC hardware setups being used and their real-world trancoding performance, did anyone ever start this??
    Last edited by SLPopp; 02-01-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Your computer's spec seems fine. The typical problem with transcoding camcorder video files is they tend to have a very high video bitrate (often 10Mb/s or higher) and that is what slows down transcoding. Please post the FFmpeg information on one of the video files so we can see its details. Right-click on the video file in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFmpeg Information'. One thing to try is to reduce the video bitrate in Sony Vegas and see if that improves things.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

Paul,

Thanks for the feedack regarding the bitrate on camcorders. Yes, I do have my camcorder set to record video at 1080i 60fps at 24mbps (highest bitrate possible on camcorder) because of the fact a person can not get picture quality out of a video that isn't there to begin with. I can always re-encode the video to whatever suits my needs.

The HD home videos were originally re-encoded for the purpose of dumping them onto a Blu-ray disc, these are the files I originally dumped into Mezzmo and I was having transcoding "too slow" issues with. I still have the original AVCHD files from the camcorder and did some testing with Sony Vegas Pro 10 and found that re-encoding the files to MP4 container with AVC video at 20mbps (Vegas won't work with a higher bitrate-it's available but it errors out) and AAC audio works very well with the older Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray player. Mezzmo only seems to be remuxing the file. I'll have to double check this as the transcoding happens so fast because the video I am testing with is only 10 minutes long and the server is in the basement and the player is upstairs. I plan on re-rendering all my HD footage to this format.

I also did some testing with Blu-ray rips and I created an MKV rip at 1080p 11mbps video and 448kbps 48khz 16 bit 5.1 AC3 audio and Mezzmo did a good job of transcoding the video at an average 43fps with 100% CPU load. I am currently ripping the same movie at MKV 15mbs video (Highest bitrate available with DVDFab 8) and Audiocopy (film has DTS-HD audio).

I am doing all testing with the Sony BDP-S370 player set to the Sony BDP (NTSC) profile as it seems more mature than the BDP-S590. The updated profile for the Sony BDP-S590 (Sony BDP-HTC-SMP (2012 Models)) still seems buggy, the Sony Bravia KDL (2012) profile seems to work better with the files I have been trying.

I'll post back later with my findings.

i'm looking for a new 2TB HDD,
    can anyone help me to find the best one?

Quote Originally Posted by kinjo View Post
    i'm looking for a new 2TB HDD,
    can anyone help me to find the best one?
    Depends on what you mean by "best" and how you are using them. Are you just putting a HDD into a desktop and storing stuff on it or are you putting it into a NAS or Server? Internal or External? Are you using a RAID? If so, what kind (Software or Hardware, ZFS, unRAID, etc.). Different HDDs are made for different purposes.
    Last edited by smitbret; 12-10-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLPopp View Post
    Paul,

Thanks for the feedack regarding the bitrate on camcorders. Yes, I do have my camcorder set to record video at 1080i 60fps at 24mbps (highest bitrate possible on camcorder) because of the fact a person can not get picture quality out of a video that isn't there to begin with. I can always re-encode the video to whatever suits my needs.

The HD home videos were originally re-encoded for the purpose of dumping them onto a Blu-ray disc, these are the files I originally dumped into Mezzmo and I was having transcoding "too slow" issues with. I still have the original AVCHD files from the camcorder and did some testing with Sony Vegas Pro 10 and found that re-encoding the files to MP4 container with AVC video at 20mbps (Vegas won't work with a higher bitrate-it's available but it errors out) and AAC audio works very well with the older Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray player. Mezzmo only seems to be remuxing the file. I'll have to double check this as the transcoding happens so fast because the video I am testing with is only 10 minutes long and the server is in the basement and the player is upstairs. I plan on re-rendering all my HD footage to this format.

I also did some testing with Blu-ray rips and I created an MKV rip at 1080p 11mbps video and 448kbps 48khz 16 bit 5.1 AC3 audio and Mezzmo did a good job of transcoding the video at an average 43fps with 100% CPU load. I am currently ripping the same movie at MKV 15mbs video (Highest bitrate available with DVDFab 8) and Audiocopy (film has DTS-HD audio).

I am doing all testing with the Sony BDP-S370 player set to the Sony BDP (NTSC) profile as it seems more mature than the BDP-S590. The updated profile for the Sony BDP-S590 (Sony BDP-HTC-SMP (2012 Models)) still seems buggy, the Sony Bravia KDL (2012) profile seems to work better with the files I have been trying.

I'll post back later with my findings.
    As for the transcoding, that CPU should have plenty of power to do real-time transcoding for anything you throw at it, Camcorder or Blu-Ray. I have an AMD 8350 that is similarly powered (similar Passmark scores) and I haven't found anything yet that it can't do in real-time, up to 60mbps. I would be curious as to what processes are running on your system and if there is a storage bottleneck (External HDD that is connected via USB 2.0, maybe) or if it is a drive that is shared via Wi-Fi there could be some issues..........?

i found this article on google
    http://www.deskdecode.com/top-best-2...nthly-updated/
    and they suggest me to buy Toshiba Desktop DT01ACA200.
    how about that?
    Last edited by kinjo; 12-10-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kinjo View Post
    i found this article on google
    http://www.deskdecode.com/top-best-2...nthly-updated/
    and they suggest me to buy Toshiba Desktop DT01ACA200.
    how about that?
    Here's a prior thread with some performance numbers. Mezzmo supports IQS which is going to be faster than general CPU transcoding.