Thread: Nightmare Problem with Mezzmo 3.0.1 Upgrade

Default Nightmare Problem with Mezzmo 3.0.1 Upgrade

I completed the Mezzmo 3.0.1 upgrade process but apparently (judging from other posts) did not stop the Mezzmo server, a step not required by any other upgrade. All previous upgrades provided that critical process. I would like to see an apology from Conceiva management for that unbelievable sloppy programming.

Now, back to my problem. The upgrade completed but of course the now Mezzmo server will not run due to bad .dlls. The upgrade did convert my database to the new format. I used XP system restore to go back to the pre-upgrade system status. Mezzmo will not run due to the new database format. I reverted to the upgraded version of the the system and tried to redo the Mezzmo upgrade with the server off but there is no upgrade option because I have the latest version.

This reminds of the time I locked my keys in the car with the engine running.

I need to destroy Mezzmo database so I can revert to the pre-upgrade version, repeat the upgrade and regenerate the database. I can not find the database to erase it and of course there is not Mezzmo option for either locating it and erasing it. How do I erase the existing unusable database?

At the present time, Mezzmo is completely worthless due to a very poorly designed upgrade process that judging from the number of posts is infuriating the their client-base.

Help.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by el_zorro View Post
    I completed the Mezzmo 3.0.1 upgrade process but apparently (judging from other posts) did not stop the Mezzmo server, a step not required by any other upgrade. All previous upgrades provided that critical process. I would like to see an apology from Conceiva management for that unbelievable sloppy programming.

Now, back to my problem. The upgrade completed but of course the now Mezzmo server will not run due to bad .dlls. The upgrade did convert my database to the new format. I used XP system restore to go back to the pre-upgrade system status. Mezzmo will not run due to the new database format. I reverted to the upgraded version of the the system and tried to redo the Mezzmo upgrade with the server off but there is no upgrade option because I have the latest version.

This reminds of the time I locked my keys in the car with the engine running.

I need to destroy Mezzmo database so I can revert to the pre-upgrade version, repeat the upgrade and regenerate the database. I can not find the database to erase it and of course there is not Mezzmo option for either locating it and erasing it. How do I erase the existing unusable database?

At the present time, Mezzmo is completely worthless due to a very poorly designed upgrade process that judging from the number of posts is infuriating the their client-base.

Help.

Terry
    Are you serious?

If so, let me apologize on behalf of them since they have been spending so much of their time dealing with Mezzmo issues on my personal system the last 3 days. That includes 5 e-mails and logs sent by me and 5 return e-mails, including an updated device profile and help with ffmpeg. That's not to mention the quick responses about the problem that I got from them in the forum. I am truly sorry they were wasting their time trying to help me out instead of you.

Why don't you just restore the library from your backup?

This reminds me of the time my ex-wife thought the world revolved around her and that's why she's my ex-wife. The new wife is much better and more understanding and has been for the last 5 years. I guess customers are no different.

However, having dealt with the Conceiva staff on quite a few occasions over the last couple of years, I'm sure Paul is carefully penning a personalized apology for you because that is the kind of company they are.

Sorry, Terry, your post just inflames me. There are 3 business that I have ever dealt with that have this caliber of customer service, Amazon, Fred Meyer (NW America Dept store) and Conceiva, and I can't imagine that they would just let you flounder had you just sent them a quick e-mail support request rather than demand a public apology on a public message board. Truly classless on you part.

Sincerely,
    Brett
    Last edited by smitbret; 02-09-2013 at 06:47 AM.

Let me add to this. I was also actually one who noticed the install wasn't proceeding because of the dll issue (and posted earlier about that), BUT and it's a major CAPITALIZED BUT, I am sure that precisely like I was, you were given a windows warning screen indicating that the dll was in use. If at that point you chose to continue an install and clicked ignore, then with all due respect that's your issue. It doesn't take any kind of computing experience to comprehend that something in use can not be overwritten to be updated.

It really takes very little to go look at running processes and manually stop the offending one, worry about why it was still running at a later time, and then continue the update.

Of course the other alternative would have been to "abort" the update which I am sure, just like I was offered, was one of the 3 buttons you saw and come here and ask for advice before proceeding or even ask through email support.

Like Brett, I don't mean to flame, but seriously and just like Brett, I have been getting some incredibly personal service from the guys at Conceiva over the last few days at a time that I am sure they are simply swamped with complaints and a few broken things. And actually I would go one further than Brett, I honestly don't think that you'll find ANY online business that reacts with the promptness you receive from Conceiva. Some of the issues they've solved for me over the past few days were in reality of minor importance as it only affected a few files and I'm sure they had bigger fish to fry. That didn't prevent them from quickly responding and taking care of the problems.

Considering the price of Mezzmo, the fact it has included updates which is something gone by the wayside for most business, I'm sorry but I'll defend them at any time.

Hi Terry,

Sorry for the problems. I agree with you that the upgrade has not gone as smoothly as it should for some users (the vast majority of users are fine). We've tested this upgrade many, many times under all sorts of Mezzmo & computer setup configurations but it seems we've missed a certain user setup and this breaking the upgrade process. It is very frustrating for us also. We'll find out what that setup is and fix it for all future updates.

The workaround for you and any other users exeriencing upgrade problems is as follows: Stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo (if running). Display Windows Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. Display all processes from all users. Kill any Mezzmo.exe or MezzmoMediaServer.exe processes. Now, download the Mezzmo installer from http://www.conceiva.com/downloads and then run it. Choose to do a Repair when prompted. After that completes, run Mezzmo and start your Mezzmo server. If still a problem, let us know and we'll help further.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

Paul, by taking the high road, once again you've proven that you and the others at Conceiva are nothing but class.