Thread: Advice needed on a streaming device

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Advice needed on a streaming device

I have been streaming to my Samsung TV, a Samsung BD player, a Sharp Aquos, and a Sony BD player. The Samsung TV likes to give up in the middle but I don't have that with the Sharp Aquos or Sony so I blame Samsung. I'd like something more reliable.

Another problem I've been having is this. I rip by BDs to a hard drive and use ANYDVD but some copy protection stays. When I stream through the DVD player it often recognizes the copy protection and 20 min into the movie the sound cuts out. I'm assuming it's because the DVD recognizes the copy protection. No problem with the TV alone. So I was thinking that if I had a Boxee or an Apple TV or a Roku or a Western Digital box it might not do that.

Has anyone else had these problems?

What do people use to view their ripped blueray discs?

What works the best with Mezzmo now that I'm committed? I was also thinking about asking the same question at the AVSforum but since I have Mezzmo I wondered what works the best with this server.

Thanks for any insight people can provide.

This sounds like it is the Cinavia protection kicking in, the Cinavia protection is encoded into the soundtrack somehow. Are you transcoding your audio into a different format when you rip i.e. DTS-HD to Dolby Digital 5.1? I have used DVDFab to rip some of my Blu-ray movies and when I do there is a pop-up warning about the Cinavia Protection and that the file may not play back in some players. So far all my rip's have played back on my Sony BDP-S590 (the firmware is up to date), but I have been changing the audio from DTS-HD / True-HD to Dolby Digital 5.1, I haven't tried it yet with an audiocopy (non-transcoding) rip.

Look on the box or jacket for the movie for the "Cinavia Protected" logo, it is purplish in color and look like C)) . If it has this logo, this is where your problem lies. Whatever your choice for a media player search the net about it's support of (preferably non-support of) the Cinavia protection.

Steve
    Last edited by SLPopp; 02-17-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added Sony to BDP-S590

Yep. That's it. The movie case does say it's protected by Cinavia. That will certainly be a requirement when I get a new media player as I'd like to eventually get rid of my DVD and BD players and only play from the server. Looks like the Western Digital players don't but all the DVD/BD players do now.
    Last edited by deaded; 02-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.

The Western Digital players seem to be a pretty good player and there are a lot of people on this forum that really like them. I have been looking at the WD myself because Sony's DLNA streaming formats are so limited. The Western Digital players look like they will play a wide range of formats native. I haven't really considered the Roku players because I could not find info on what formats were supported through DLNA streaming.

Steve

Roku does not support DLNA so I guess that's out. Mezzmo won't work with it.

Does anyone know if Mezzmo supports the "WD TV Play?" It's not listed on the site in the supported devices though the other WD media players are. Since this one does not list MPEG 2 I just wanted to make sure before I went and got one. Some said that the WD TV Live was being discontinued but I don't see any info about that on their site.

edit: I can't spel
    Last edited by deaded; 02-17-2013 at 04:37 PM.

If it doesn't work out of the box, you can bet Peter and Paul can get it working fairly quickly. Conceiva's tech support is some of the best out there, they will work with you through E-mails and get it working relativley quickly. It may work just fine using the profile for the WD TV Live - as long as you don't feed it any MPEG2 files. If the MPEG2 is the only difference it may be as simple as tech support creating a profile based on the WD TV Live and adjusting it to transcode any MPEG2 files to a compatible format.

Tech support are the only ones that can say for sure if the WD TV Live profile will work as long as you don't try to play any MPEG2 files. Either way, tech support will work with you to get the device functioning properly.

Steve.