Thread: How to Que downloads? & Major Memory Hog on large downloads

Default How to Que downloads? & Major Memory Hog on large downloads

Is there anyway to que downloads? I set it to only use 2 connections.

I only want 1 or 2 files to download at once, and then have it start downloading the others once the first few are done.

But if I hit start on other files, they will start downloading immediately.

Also I was downloading a large 5gb file today, and DS just keep eating more and more memory as it went on. It got up to 99% usage!

It let go of the memory once it was finished downloading, but I don't like the behaviour.

This was using Win7 64B.

Hi Ahlitah,

In DownloadStudio you are able to set the number of connections for each download and the total number of simultaneous connections for the application.

In the 'Job Queue' window you should set the 'Connections:' value to a low number if you only want one or two jobs downloading at once. When you create a download job the default number of splits (or connections) for the job is 10. So setting the application to use less than 10 connections will limit the concurrent downloads to one or two files.

In Windows 7 memory may increase while downloading very large files. This is windows caching parts of the file we are downloading. You should not worry too much about this as soon as another program need to allocate memory Windows will release the memory it has used to cache the downloading file.
    Conceiva. Download it with DownloadStudio. Stream it with Mezzmo.

I tried that. it will still download the other files right after I hit start! it should queue the files, if the # of the files already download hits the limit I set, but its NOT!

Then why doesn't my browser such as FF not eat memory so fast like this like DS does with large files?

Hi Ahlitah,

I would be interested to see a couple of screen snapshots of this happening. It may be that a particular type of job is not adhering to the connection limit. Can you send us a support request at support [at] conceiva [dot] com showing the download window.

Thanks for your question about system memory usage compared to firefox. Firefox use a single connection to the web server for each download. If you set DownloadStudio to use 1 connection for a download job we will do the same and have much less memory usage during download. DownloadStudio is accelerating the download by using, say, 10 different connections to download different sections of the file. As this data is downloaded it is written to the correct section in the end file on your hard drive. Newer versions of Windows like to try and keep as much of this file cached in memory while we are downloading and writing to the file, however as soon as any other application requires more memory, Windows will free up this cache.

I'll see if I can get a screen shot.

I did notice today, if I hit download it will say 'starting' when I hit download, but doesn't seem to actually download until the old one is finished. But If I hit stop on the 2nd, and hit start again once the first one is finished, it will ask me if I want to resume, indicating the 'starting' text I got was wrong and it actually started to download it!

About the memory usage, I've tried other download mangers as well, and they don't eat memory the same way DS does either. Even if I limit DS to 1 connection and 1 split it will still majorly eat memory in a short while.

Thanks for that extra information. DownloadStudio will place each download into the connecting state until a connection slot is available to download, but it should not actually download any data until a connection is available.

Our engineers will do some testing to monitor the memory usage. We may be able to find some optimisations to limit the memory usage during large downloads. Thanks for your feedback.

Okay thanks for the info.

I think I might of been mis-reading the the DS is working. And my thinking of how it was downloading 2 at once when I said not to.

If I see it doing what I thought it was doing again, i'll be sure to take a screen shot and send it to you.

The Memory usage is not too big of a deal, its just alarming seeing it take so much memory in downloading a large file, where other download managers don't' do the same.

If it didn't release the memory when done, then it would be a bigger problem!