This method may not work for you but here's a couple of tips I have come across that may help others keep their library clean. All of the software mentioned below is free to use but they do ask for donations or offer a "gold" version if you want to help out. I am not affiliated with any of these products and am just a user.

I don't trust pulling metadata from internet sources (more for video files) because of incorrect lookups so I am hands-on with media cataloging and use the following method to keep my library organized.

To clean up filenames for similar files like television episodes
I use Bulk Rename Utility. It looks really intimidating but once you get used to it (I don't use the RegEx portion) it can be very powerful. It even has an undo feature.

I use this to clean up the filenames in preparation for the "Auto-tag from Filename" feature found in MediaMonkey. If you trust internet lookup this step alone may help you correct most of the incorrect searches you are receiving depending on how you rename the files.

To clean up embedded tags (metadata)
If you have a bunch of video files that are showing up in Mezzmo with titles that differ from the file name (ex. "Batman - The Brave And The Bold - 109 - Journey To The Center Of The Bat! {C_P}" it is because the file already has embedded tags. Here's how I fix that.

1. Download and install MediaMonkey (you can replace the crippled 30-day version of lame_enc.dll with this one if you want to rip CDs or convert audio file formats)
2. add your library of files to MediaMonkey (Insert Key)
3. look through your files and tweak the fields one at a time or en masse using the "Auto-tag from Filename" feature. (Ctrl+Q) You need to reconfigure the filename format used by Media Monkey to get the proper results. Thankfully it previews the changes before you make them.

There are some files and file formats that may give you some grief when updating the tags. Those I have not completely figured out yet.

This method works for both audio and video files but it can be cumbersome if you switch back and forth due to the software's limit of only one "file format" description. If you use the "Auto-tag from filename" or "Auto-Organize" features you will have to be sure you are not using the wrong settings for the way you want files organized on disk.

If you have programing skills, MediaMonkey lets you write your own scripts to perform customized tasks repetitively.