Thread: Startup Question on Windows 7 - Color scheme change

Default Startup Question on Windows 7 - Color scheme change

Hello once again Dennis. I just purchased Mezzmo because 1) it's a great program and 2) the support offered is outstanding.

I was wondering about a few things. First, when starting Mezzmo, it requires elevated permissions I think because it wants to change the color scheme to Windows Basic. It also requires elevated permissions when closing, I'm guessing because it wants to change back to the normal Aero color scheme. Is this normal and if so, is there a way of working around this? If not, then what might I check to prevent the switch? Or is the color scheme change unrelated to the elevated permissions request?

Thanks in advance.

Mezzmo shouldn't need to switch back to Basic Aero. Did you use any kind of "compatibility mode" in Windows while installing Mezzmo?

The only time you should get an UAC prompt for elevated permissions is when manually stopping and starting the service through the Mezzmo GUI. Just booting the computer, or starting the Mezzmo GUI shouldn't require elevated permissions either.

To check if you have compatibility mode accidentally enabled, right-click on the Mezzmo icon on your desktop, and select "Properties". Then, go to the Compatibility tab, and make sure nothing is enabled/selected on that page.

There's nothing checked in compatibility mode...other than the run as administrator, which I did so I wouldn't need to answer the elevated permissions twice, just once!

With or without this checked, the color scheme changes. It's odd that the norm is that Mezzmo doesn't change schemes except on my setup. Perhaps I need to uninstall and then reinstall the program?

RMerlin,

Before I forget this time. Thanks for your help. You're right, the elevated permissions is a result of starting and stopping the server. That clears that up.

But still, the issue remains of the color scheme change to Windows 7 Basic...which I'm still at a loss to determine why it is doing that.

It's normal for the Mezzmo service to require elevated permissions since it is a system service..

As for the switch to the basic UI... Maybe it's related to what user is being used to start the Mezzmo service? To check:

Open Windows' Start Menu, and type this in the search box:

services.msc

Launch the Services console.

In the list, find Mezzmo's entry, and select "Properties" with the right mouse button.

Go to the Log On tab. Is it set to launch the service using the same user account as you use to log in Windows? If not, try changing it to log on using the same user as you use. Once changed, click on "Stop" then "Start" to restart the service (on the General tab of that same window).

Otherwise, maybe someone from Conceiva will have a better idea, as I can't think of anything else to check, short of reinstalling Mezzmo. Sorry.

Hello once again, RMerlin. The service is set to start manually. That's the way I want it. Not automatic. In other words, it's not running when the Mezzmo program is started. It's not started until I manually start it from the toolbar. Nevertheless, the basic color scheme (no aero) is applied by Windows as Mezzmo starts.

One other note. I installed Mezzmo on another PC on the same home network with exactly the same results: Windows insists on disabling Aero when Mezzmo starts. Both PC's are running Windows 7 64 bit and have entiirely different hardware.

It's not really a big deal, but I'm curious about a resolution because you stated that it shouldn't do that. A search of the internet suggests the fault to be with the application...some sort of problem that affects the Aero theme. Maybe Dennis of Conceiva can offer some advice.

Did you try to set the service to "Automatic" and then rebooting, just to see if it makes any difference when you open Mezzmo (not that it should, but at this point it's worth trying it...)?

Your setup is fairly similar to mine - I use Windows 7 64-bit Professional myself.

This note is for Dennis at Conceiva...

Well after much investigation, it was discovered that Mezzmo accesses the QuickTime code from Apple when it loads. I don't know how QuickTime was installed, but anyway, changing the name of the QT directory solved the color scheme problem. Must be old QT code installed by some other program.

But now a new problem has arisen. The new SonyBraviaKDL.prf file you sent me refuses to play any video at all. I get a message on the TV "File not found" for any attempted Video playback (sound and photos are OK). In order for me to play any video, I've had to resort back to the original SonyBraviaKDL file that was origianlly installed. I've looked at the differences in the two files, but this is all ffmpeg stuff, and I don't have a clue about that. Of course, the one video that wouldn't play the video now will still not play the video. If you'll recall, that was the reason you sent me the new prf file. The question would be what file is not found, or, is that just a general cover everything error message? Please advise.

One related note, the new server.exe file you also sent works with the old prf file--it seems to be quicker at bringing up the video too.

Regarding the color scheme change - if Mezzmo goes from black to blue, then that's a known issue - this can occur sometimes after the computer goes to sleep and wakes up. But it shouldn't request any changes from your system.

Can you please send a message to the support e-mail regarding the file playback problem? Generally, if I sent an updated device profile and a patched version of the server in the same message, then they are meant to be used together. Let's back everything up and try again, so that we could properly solve this.

The error message is generated by the TV, but it sounds like either transcoding failed or we couldn't access the original file.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com