Thread: To all Mezzmo users: Which devices show movie description?

Question To all Mezzmo users: Which devices show movie description?

Hi all!

Can anybody tell me devices showing the movie description from Mezzmo?

I know about the upcoming Android App, but I would prefere a device showing the description directly.

Quote Originally Posted by RHR View Post
    Hi all!

I know about the upcoming Android App, but I would prefere a device showing the description directly.
    I believe that you'll need something that uses UPnP and not DLNA. The DLNA protocol does not support the transfer of metadata.

My WDTV Live doesn't because it uses DLNA
    My XBMC enabled Raspberry Pi shows Title, Year, Running Time and description. Still won't list actors and genre but that's not a biggy for me. I think XBMC is kind of the key here, though as it is software that runs on HTPCs.

RHR: We don't know of any DLNA / UPNP devices that display all the metadata that Mezzmo is collecting (title, description, actors, genre, rating, etc.). The upcoming Mezzmo v4.0 is collecting a lot more metadata now (tagline, web site, content rating, writers, producers, IMDB links, etc.) and this is all nicely presented in our upcoming Mezzmo Android app for a great browsing / playing experience. So we think this will be the best partner app for browsing & selecting content to play on your devices in your home.

smitbret: Just a clarification on your post. DLNA is a set of guidelines that uses various standards & technologies - one of them being UPnP. So, DLNA is using UPnP for transmission & display of media/files & their metadata - meaning DLNA does support transfer of metadata. The problem is that not many of the current DLNA/UPnP devices that you stream to display much metadata other than title & artwork. Each manufacturers' firmware has different levels of support for displaying metadata. As mentioned, the best fix for this is to use a DMC (digital media controller) app on your smartphone or tablet like the upcoming Mezzmo Android that bypasses these firmware restrictions and gives you the freedom to browse all information about your media files.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

@ smitbret: thanks for the answer with the XBMC enabled Raspberry Pi

@ Paul: thanks for the explanation. I dont need a device supporting all metadata. Actors or genre I can handle perfect with playlists.
    I only look for a device supporting thumbnail and movie description. Do you know a device supporting this?

@ smitbret: thanks for the answer with the XBMC enabled Raspberry Pi

@ Paul: thanks for the explanation. I dont need a device supporting all metadata. Actors or genre I can handle perfect with playlists.
    I only look for a device supporting thumbnail and movie description. Do you know a device supporting this?
    I probably should have been more clear, the Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC (XBMC) shows:

Title
    Year
    Running Time
    Movie Description
    Thumbnail Art

XBMC is the controlling factor. If the Raspberry Pi is a little Raw for you, an ultra SFF PC running the same OpenELEC system would be really smooth. I was thinking about this, but my experience with the $35 Raspberry Pi Model B has been so smooth that I have kind of dumped the idea. It plays back full BR rips no problem.

Something like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119083

You can get even less expensive options than that if you look around.

Just find the OpenELEC distro that fits and install:

www.openelec.tv

OpenELEC is stripped down Linux OS that pretty much only runs XBMC so it removes all of the overhead and dedicates all of the CPU/GPU power to being a media streamer. You can install it to a USB drive, SD card or HDD. Boots straight into XBMC so your experience is just like an OEM media streamer. I have never touched a Linux anything in my life and I had it up and running with the Raspberry Pi in less than 15 minutes.

Seriously, wish I would have gone this route a long time ago. About the same cost as a good media streamer, awesome interface and a lot more powerful.

Hi all!

The only hardware streamer device I have found that displays the description and coverart is the Netgear EVA-9150 . It is my primary device right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    The only hardware streamer device I have found that displays the description and coverart is the Netgear EVA-9150 . It is my primary device right now.
    Excellent. Do you know if this player has Cinavia built into it?

Quote Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    Excellent. Do you know if this player has Cinavia built into it?
    They don't make these any longer and Cinavia support isn't needed. I use DVDfab which decrypts the file and then I use the EVA-9150 to stream it from Mezzmo to the TV. Aside from not being made any longer the EVA-9150 doesn't have a standards based Play-To function so the Mezzmo Android app won't be able to push to it. Other than this, it is the best steramer box I've come across. I wsih they hadn't stopped making them.

@ smitbret: XBMC enabled Raspberry Pi seems to be a good solution. But I need a digital audio out (additional to HDMI), which the Raspberry doesn't have.

@ jbinkley60: Many thanks. Seems to be a good device, but no longer available. And additionally for me a device with a built in fan is out of the question.

@ all: No other device known?

@ smitbret: XBMC enabled Raspberry Pi seems to be a good solution. But I need a digital audio out (additional to HDMI), which the Raspberry doesn't have.

@ jbinkley60: Many thanks. Seems to be a good device, but no longer available. And additionally for me a device with a built in fan is out of the question.

@ all: No other device known?
    An HTPC running XBMC is probably your baby, then.