Thread: Best device to plug into a dumb TV to get the best out of Mezzmo?

Default Best device to plug into a dumb TV to get the best out of Mezzmo?

I am looking at making an older non-smart TV Mezzmo compatible. I am already running a Samsung ES8000 with EVO kit which works great but has all the kit built in.

So, my question is which is the best device to plug into my Dumb TV to get the most out of Mezzmo. I know some devices are limited on the amount of information it takes from Mezzmo so I am looking for the one that looks good on screen and works best with Mezzmo.

Thanx.

Just personal experience here, but the KDLINKS HD720 plays everything I try with it, regardless of whether the files are on its internal hard disk (the device has a bay for adding one) or via DLNA (Mezzmo hasn't needed to transcode anything I've tried with HD720). The device can be set up as a DMR, so it will work if you use something such as the Mezzmo Android app to "push" files to it.

The current selling price is $159.95. If you don't need the hard disk bay, the HD700 is $20 cheaper.
    Last edited by Nyarlathotep; 11-05-2014 at 12:35 AM.
    Amazon FireTV | KDLINKS HD720 | Sony BDP-S480, BDP-S580 | DirecTV HR44 + 3 Genie Mini clients | Xbox One | Netgear ReadyNAS Duo

Quote Originally Posted by BTVCON View Post
    I am looking at making an older non-smart TV Mezzmo compatible. I am already running a Samsung ES8000 with EVO kit which works great but has all the kit built in.

So, my question is which is the best device to plug into my Dumb TV to get the most out of Mezzmo. I know some devices are limited on the amount of information it takes from Mezzmo so I am looking for the one that looks good on screen and works best with Mezzmo.

Thanx.
    A Chromebox running XBMC/OpenELEC has been the absolute smoothest experience I can imagine. A FireTV with XBMC would probably be my second choice. XBMC supports a lot more metadata than most other DLNA clients that I have used.

The WD TV Live does a very good job at around £80. Some good offers on ebay though. I just sold my pristine one for £40.

I'm using an MX III Android TV Box, Mezzmo App, MX Player as the default player,£65 just check on ebay, also use XBMC on same bit of kit and it works like a full blown android tablet.

I'm trying to achieve the same on my non-smart TV. Does Mezzmo only work well with MX III Android TV box or can I use any Android TV box as long as it has XBMC, MX Player and Mezzmo App? The reason being i cant find any MX III in my local market. I'm looking at CS918 right now. Has anyone else here tried using CS918 with Mezzmo?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jaraju; 11-28-2014 at 03:17 PM.

WDTV works flawlessly

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost0911 View Post
    WDTV works flawlessly
    Except for the lack of Metadata outside of Title and Artwork.

XBMC does a lot better than the WDTV for this. Dumping my WDTV Live Hub for a Chromebox and RaspPi running XBMC was one of the best moves I ever made.

I've tried the ChromeCast with one of my dumb Samsung TVs. Works well but you need to use the Mezzmo Android App to control it. Only downside to Chromcast is it only works on the 2.4GHz Wireless and not on the faster 5GHz Wireless.