Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: run mezzmo server as

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default run mezzmo server as

    Hey I was wondering what these new settings are for windows service and console application

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    11,646

    Default

    Before Mezzmo v5.0, Mezzmo server always ran as a Windows service on your computer. This works great - but quite a few users had problems when they tried to access and stream media files from their NAS drives on their home network. The problem is related to access permissions issues where Mezzmo server running as a Windows service under (by default) the Windows Local System account could not access your files and folders on your NAS. This can be fixed with some configuration changes of your Windows service and/or NAS permissions (see FAQ - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread...r-home-network).

    For Mezzmo v5.0+, we've introduced a new method of running your Mezzmo server - i.e. as a console application that runs under the Windows account that you are currently logged into. This fixes any of these access permission issues that NAS owners often complain about.

    In general, we now recommend using the console application method as the simple, trouble-free method.

    Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    387

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Before Mezzmo v5.0, Mezzmo server always ran as a Windows service on your computer. This works great - but quite a few users had problems when they tried to access and stream media files from their NAS drives on their home network. The problem is related to access permissions issues where Mezzmo server running as a Windows service under (by default) the Windows Local System account could not access your files and folders on your NAS. This can be fixed with some configuration changes of your Windows service and/or NAS permissions (see FAQ - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread...r-home-network).

    For Mezzmo v5.0+, we've introduced a new method of running your Mezzmo server - i.e. as a console application that runs under the Windows account that you are currently logged into. This fixes any of these access permission issues that NAS owners often complain about.

    In general, we now recommend using the console application method as the simple, trouble-free method.
    The problem with this is that you must be logged into the workstation in order to run a "console app" That defeats the whole purpose of having a dedicated device for it that you don't want to always be logged into. In addition, this introduces various security concerns.

    I would highly recommend working on getting the service method working correctly. Third party services should NEVER run in the Local System context unless absolutely necessary (such as system management) as this introduces various security vulnerabilities. The service should be running under a named user context and all application functionality should run under this context. In another thread, there is an issue utilizing the web interface when running under a named user context. This is ESPECIALLY important when you consider that people are allowing access to Mezzmo from the Internet via the web interface. You *ALWAYS* want to run services under the LEAST privileged security context that you can get away with for application and device security reasons.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    You can use the Windows Task Manager and create a task to run the application which starts with the computer startup. Then you can assign an account to the task and set it to run even when a user isn't logged on. It will prompt you for the account credentials and will run the task with those credentials.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    You can use the Windows Task Manager and create a task to run the application which starts with the computer startup. Then you can assign an account to the task and set it to run even when a user isn't logged on. It will prompt you for the account credentials and will run the task with those credentials.
    Again, that introduces security issues that need not be there. In addition, there are certain settings that you will need to change in the Local Security Policy in order to get that to function correctly. For instance, you will have to grant "Log On as a Service" rights to the account first. In addition, you may also have to make additional Local Security Policy changes in order to get it to run correctly.

    Running it as a console app is sub-par and there is a reason why the vast majority of software companies don't do that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Just as a further thought...

    This app is now designed for people to allow access to from the Internet, which brings its own inherent set of complications and security issues. Especially if this application is run on a home network of some sort.

    With that in mind, this needs to be done right, running as a service under a least privileged access user account, not kludged together to run as a Local System account or as a console application.

    It's all fun and games until your home network gets owned because of poor security practices.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    11,646

    Default

    Thanks for all your thoughts. With Mezzmo v5.0, users have the freedom to set up how they want their Mezzmo server to run - i.e as a Windows service or console application, and running under whatever Windows account with whatever restrictions.

    For example, instead of using the default Windows Local System account for the Window service, users can create a specific Windows account with privileges restricted for security reasons (as ftanner points out) & with access to their media folders/files, and then use that for their Mezzmo (Windows) app and Mezzmo server Windows service.

    Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thanks for all your thoughts. With Mezzmo v5.0, users have the freedom to set up how they want their Mezzmo server to run - i.e as a Windows service or console application, and running under whatever Windows account with whatever restrictions.

    For example, instead of using the default Windows Local System account for the Window service, users can create a specific Windows account with privileges restricted for security reasons (as ftanner points out) & with access to their media folders/files, and then use that for their Mezzmo (Windows) app and Mezzmo server Windows service.
    If I recall correctly, someone in another thread pointed out that if you run it as a service, under a dedicated service account, that the web interface does not work correctly. I believe that it is the same thread as the NAS issues, but I could be incorrect on that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    11,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftanner View Post
    If I recall correctly, someone in another thread pointed out that if you run it as a service, under a dedicated service account, that the web interface does not work correctly. I believe that it is the same thread as the NAS issues, but I could be incorrect on that.
    All will work correctly if the Windows user account is used by both Mezzmo (Windows) app and Mezzmo server (running as a Windows service). The Windows user account must have access to your drives/folders containing your media files. After that, you can set the security access rights as you wish to keep your machine as secure as possible.

    Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    All will work correctly if the Windows user account is used by both Mezzmo (Windows) app and Mezzmo server (running as a Windows service). The Windows user account must have access to your drives/folders containing your media files. After that, you can set the security access rights as you wish to keep your machine as secure as possible.
    Ok. I just tested that. You're correct. They must be doing something incorrectly.


    Thank you for the clarification.

Similar Threads

  1. Mezzmo-Server and Mediamonkey Server is in a conflict
    By Rainer_T in forum Mezzmo Questions and Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 12:09 PM
  2. Mezzmo Licensing and a new server
    By BSexton in forum Mezzmo Questions and Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 11:28 AM
  3. building a mezzmo server
    By schmity in forum Mezzmo Questions and Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 06:15 AM
  4. Moving Mezzmo to a new server
    By SilvrDrgn in forum Mezzmo Questions and Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2013, 06:23 AM
  5. Sharp aquos cannot find mezzmo server - no media server found
    By wagnermachine in forum Mezzmo Questions and Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •