Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any personal recommendations for media streaming devices?

Is it the Kodi plugin that resolves this then ? I did get a HTPC a while back whilst looking for alternatives but with the caching issues and stuff I gave up on Kodi pretty much. I was playing stuff OK so perf was good (though I forget now if I was getting true HD Audio)

I also tried a simialr thing with a PI but found in practice a PI couldnt cut it with a 1080p movie. (Though it was a Mk 1 PI - maybe the newer ones are better).

[Thanks for the info]

Quote Originally Posted by HomerRamone View Post
    Is it the Kodi plugin that resolves this then ? I did get a HTPC a while back whilst looking for alternatives but with the caching issues and stuff I gave up on Kodi pretty much. I was playing stuff OK so perf was good (though I forget now if I was getting true HD Audio)

I also tried a simialr thing with a PI but found in practice a PI couldnt cut it with a 1080p movie. (Though it was a Mk 1 PI - maybe the newer ones are better).

[Thanks for the info]
    The plugin fixes the main Kodi issues including caching, improper sorting etc. It also has the ability to resume playback, display whether a video has been played and the resume playback option can be shared across Kodi devices so you can start watching a movie in one room, go to another and pickup where you left off. None of this requires you to install the Kodi database sharing and similar. The Mezzmo folks did a great job and this is all shared in the Mezzmo database and is seamless.

I run Raspberry 3B Pis and they will do 1080P but there are limitations depending upon the underlying encoding method (i.e. VC-1 etc..) I use it for bedroom TVs and similar where the usage is casual. The Intel NUCs (I prefer the NUC6i5SYH model) will handle pretty much anything you throw at it. The wireless in it can handle 1080P streaming across 5Gig with no issues. I run native Blu-Ray 1090P (up to 40Mb/s) across its wireless, do 4K upscaling and the CPUs stay around 8%. It's a little more pricey than the WD and other options but with Kodi you have many options to extend functionality.
    Last edited by jbinkley60; 01-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerRamone View Post

[Thanks for the info]
    I will kind of echo what jbinkley has said. I have been running Kodi on an Asus Chromebox (Dual-Core Celeron) and a couple of RaspPi 2's with FLIRCs and DirecTV remotes at each location. The RaspPi Model B that I started out with really struggled with uncompressed BD Rips but the RPI2 hasn't had any trouble. In fact, based on my couple of years experience I have found the RPI2 to be less problematic than the Chromebox. The Chromebox occasionally struggled with updating the library or getting the artwork all mixed up. I never had those problems on the RPi.

One thing to think about is H.265. If you plan to go there then the Raspberry Pi and many other devices won't handle it. The NUC model I mentioned does H.265 partially in hardware and I've tested 1080P @ 24Mb/s with H.265 and no issues. The CPU was around 8%. The brand new NUCs can do H.265 in HW, with 10 bit (HDR) and at 4K. Here's a link comparing the GPU capability of the NUCS.

I have a lot of h.264 stuff but not 265 (I dont think - I usually use handbrake so...)

Im not desperate for 4K stuff currently as generally use a projector to watch movies. 4K projectors are way beyond budget ATM. TBH I think the NUC models mentioned above are more than Im looking to spend on a media player.

Lots of useful pointers here though folks.Much appreciated ! Thanks !

I am also using My Roku device. Which is different from other streaming devices. The only need is the Roku device and Roku activation code. By using this device one can watch their favorite shows without any interruptions.