These FAQs will help you understand more about how DownloadStudio works, what it requires to operate and how it compares to other applications you may be currently using or considering to purchase.

System Requirements

What operating systems does DownloadStudio run on?

DownloadStudio runs on Windows Vista (64-bit and 32-bit), Windows XP (64-bit and 32-bit) and Windows 2000.

What else do I need on my computer to run DownloadStudio?

DownloadStudio works with all internet connections such as ADSL, DSL, wireless, cable, fibre optic, ISDN, microwave and dialup.

You must have at least 50MB hard disk space to install DownloadStudio.

It is recommended that you have set your screen display colors set to 16 bit color or higher and your screen resolution set to 1024x768 or higher.

You will need to have Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher installed on your computer. You can download the latest version of Internet Explorer from http://www.microsoft.com.

To detect and save Flash content in Internet Explorer, you will need to have Flash Player 7.0 or higher. This is a free download from http://www.adobe.com.

To view thumbnails in File Browser mode for Adobe Illustrator (AI), Adobe Acrobat (PDF) and Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) files, you must have Ghostscript 8.0 installed on your computer. This is a free download from:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/g...2.exe?download.

To view thumbnails in File Browser mode for video files such as MPEG and Windows Media files (WMV, ASF), you must have Microsoft DirectX 8.0 or higher installed on your computer. This is a free download from http://www.microsoft.com.

DownloadStudio works with the latest versions of all popular web browsers:

• Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
  • Firefox 1.0 or higher
  • Flock 1.0 or higher
  • Opera 7.0 or higher
  • Mozilla 1.0 or higher
  • Netscape 7.0 or higher
  • Internet Explorer-based browsers including Maxthon and Avant Browser

Why Do I Need DownloadStudio?

I already have a fast broadband connection, so I don't need a download manager - right?

Actually, that is completely wrong. There is a common misconception that internet users with broadband connections (cable, ADSL, wireless, etc.) do not need to use download managers.

This is incorrect for several reasons:
  • Download managers provide much better download speeds compared to downloading files using your web browser - even on broadband connections you will often get 5 times faster speed! Think of it this way - you have a super-fast broadband connection but your web browser does not take advantage of it. DownloadStudio uses your fast broadband connection to download files as fast as possible, saving you enormous time.
  • Download managers resume broken connections. Remember that web sites are located all around the world so your connection to a web site hops through many countries and many cities. These hops and connections can be slow or be congested. Sometimes they will timeout or fail - even on your fast broadband connection! DownloadStudio will take care of this by resuming any broken download where it left off, saving you enormous time and bandwidth.
  • DownloadStudio lets you get content that web browsers do not download - such as flash video, streaming audio, streaming video, web sites, RSS feeds, podcasts and more. So if you want to get the latest content from web sites, only DownloadStudio will help you.

Why is DownloadStudio better than using my web browser?

When you download a file using your web browser, files can take a long time to download - or sometimes they fail to download and you must start all over again - or sometimes you just cannot download the file, flash video, music, movie or photo that you want.

DownloadStudio includes 12 specialized downloading tools that take care of all your downloading needs.

DownloadStudio accelerates downloads by up to 5 times. This means you get your files faster and you maximize your internet connection. DownloadStudio also gives you full control over your downloads so that they are downloaded and saved where you want them.

DownloadStudio resumes downloads after they have broken or have failed. Downloads typically fail due to internet connection failures, computer failures or web site failures. Resuming a broken download where it left off can save you enormous time and bandwidth costs.

DownloadStudio also lets you schedule your downloads. This lets you download when it is the most suitable time for you (for example, late at night when your internet connection is not so congested). You can also schedule your downloads for regular intervals such as every hour, day or week so you always have the latest files that you want.

DownloadStudio takes the process of downloading files a step further. In addition to downloading just a file that you want, you can also download any content on web sites. You can download flash video (FLV), complete web sites, complete FTP sites, all the images from web sites, streaming audio and video from web sites, RSS feeds, podcasts, blogs, documents and much more. For example, with DownloadStudio you can download all the photos, movies or music files from a web site without having to click on each link and downloading them one at a time. This is a great time-saver.

Downloading becomes so easy with DownloadStudio. DownloadStudio's Quick Start mode gives you access to all downloading tasks in a single click. For inexperienced internet users, a Download Wizard guides you through all the steps and takes all the guess work out of downloading files. A built-in file browser helps you organize all your downloaded files.

I want to download flash video (FLV) from Youtube, Google Video, MySpace, Dailymotion, Crackle, etc. Can DownloadStudio help me do this?

Yes. Using DownloadStudio, you simply right-click on the web page that is playing the flash video and click "Download Video". DownloadStudio takes care of the rest. It finds the flash video (FLV) and downloads it for you. Best of all, DownloadStudio can download flash video (FLV) from any video site - such as Youtube, Google Video, Myspace, Vimeo, Crackle, Metacafe, Yahoo Video and many more.

I like downloading photos and images from the internet. Can DownloadStudio help me do this?

Yes. DownloadStudio can download all the photos from your favorite web sites, web galleries and FTP sites. You have full control over how many images you want to download. You can specify the type of images that you want to download (e.g. JPG, GIF, PNG, etc.), the minimum and maximum file size of the images to download, just download the most recent images, and more.

Once you have downloaded your images, DownloadStudio contains a built-in file browser and image viewer that lets you quickly view thumbnails of all your files. The Instant Viewer lets you view your files full-sized or play an instant slideshow.

I like downloading movies and video from the internet. Can DownloadStudio help me do this?

Yes. DownloadStudio can download all video files from the internet (AVI, MOV, WMV, MPG, M4V, QT, RM, etc.). It can also download streaming video directly from Microsoft Streaming Servers (WMV, WVX, ASF, ASX) and digital media from SHOUTcast servers. For other streaming servers such as Real and QuickTime, the DownloadStudio Audio/Video Capture application can record the video as it plays in your web browser or media player so that you can save it onto your computer. You have full control over the frame rates, quality and formats to capture.

You can also download your favorite podcasts - including all the music and video files in the podcast. Once downloaded, you can play them on your computer, or transfer them to your portable media player, such as an Apple iPod, Sony PSP or Microsoft Zune.

I like downloading music and audio from the internet. Can DownloadStudio help me do this?

Yes. DownloadStudio can download all audio files from the internet (WAV, MP3, WMA, M4A, RA, etc.). It can also download streaming audio directly from Microsoft Streaming Servers (WMA, WAX, ASF, ASX) and internet radio from SHOUTcast servers. For other streaming servers such as Real and QuickTime, the DownloadStudio Audio/Video Capture application can capture the audio as it plays on your computer's audio card. You have full control over the quality and formats to capture.

You can also download your favorite podcasts - including all the music and video files in the podcast. Once downloaded, you can play them on your computer, or transfer them to your portable media player, such as an Apple iPod, Sony PSP or Microsoft Zune.

I subscribe to RSS feeds, blogs and podcasts. How can DownloadStudio help me?

DownloadStudio can subscribe to and download RSS feeds, blogs and podcasts. It supports all popular standards - RSS, RDF and ATOM. The built-in RSS Feed Reader lets you read and manage all items within your feeds. You can download all the links in your feeds for complete offline viewing.

You can also download your favorite podcasts - including all the music or video files in the podcast. Once downloaded, you can play them on your computer, or transfer them to your portable media player, such as an Apple iPod, Sony PSP or Microsoft Zune.

I'm a systems administrator and I need to make regular downloads/backups of files located across all my company's internet locations. How can DownloadStudio help me?

DownloadStudio can support any number of download jobs and these downloads can be scheduled for regular intervals - for example, daily, weekly etc. This lets you download files or collections of files from diverse company locations (intranet, extranet, VPN, WAN, etc.). Standard password-protection and authentication schemes are supported.

I create web sites and design graphics. How can DownloadStudio help me?

DownloadStudio lets you download complete web sites for offline viewing or backup purposes. Also, you view all the links and images on a web site using the built-in Site Explorer mode. This lets you get 'under-the-hood' of a web site so you can work out how other web designers created their web sites and can download the files that interest you.

Where can I read more about the benefits of download managers?

Download Managers - A Better Downloading Experience
Summary: Explains how download managers can improve your downloading - even on broadband connections.
(PDF, 220KB)

How To Download Content From The Internet
Summary: A series of tutorials that teach you how to successfully download different types of files
(PDF, 1.9MB)

DownloadStudio vs. Other Download Managers

Want to read an independent comparison and review of all popular download managers and download accelerators?

PC Magazine reviewed all popular internet download managers in their 12th Annual Utility Shootout (June 8, 2004). DownloadStudio won the Editors' Choice for best download manager. Read the full review at the PC Magazine web site.

Why is DownloadStudio better at downloading than Free Download Manager, Orbit, GetRight, Download Accelerator Plus, FlashGet, Internet Download Manager, Fresh Download and Star Downloader?

These are all great products that will help you download files. But we believe that DownloadStudio is a download manager that has more tools and more features to give your more power and control over downloading.

Typically, these products are file downloaders. They are focused on helping you download a single file faster. DownloadStudio contains a file downloader and uses the same technologies for file downloading such as download acceleration, resume broken downloads, scheduling, segmenting/splitting, authentication, click monitoring, categories, and more.

But DownloadStudio goes beyond just being a file download manager. DownloadStudio is a comprehensive download manager that contains 12 specialized downloading tools:

• File downloader
  • File range downloader
  • Web site downloader
  • Flash Video downloader
  • Streaming media downloader
  • RSS feed, blog and podcast downloader
  • Audio and video recorder
  • URL sniffer
  • Web site explorer
  • RSS feed reader
  • File browser, viewer and organizer
  • Easy-to-use Quick Start

Click here to learn more about DownloadStudio's tools and features

Using these tools, you can download any type of content from the web:

• Programs and games
  • Flash video
  • Photos and images
  • Music and audio
  • Movies, TV shows and video
  • Complete web sites - for offline viewing or backup purposes
  • Streaming audio and streaming video from streaming web servers (WMV, WMA, WVX, WAX, ASF, ASX, WSX) and internet radio from SHOUTcast servers
  • Search engine results pages from all popular search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc.)
  • RSS feeds and blogs - including all the links for complete offline viewing
  • Podcasts - including all the audio and video files
  • Audio and video playing in your web browser or media player

DownloadStudio supports all popular internet protocols, including HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, MMS, RTSP, RSS, RDF and ATOM.

This gives you enormous power and flexibility over what you want to get from the internet. When choosing your download manager, see if they can do all of what DownloadStudio can!

What other features make DownloadStudio better than Free Download Manager, Orbit, GetRight, Download Accelerator Plus, FlashGet, Internet Download Manager, Fresh Download and Star Downloader?

DownloadStudio contains NO adware, spyware or malware.

DownloadStudio works with the latest versions of all popular web browsers:
  • Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
  • Firefox 1.0 or higher
  • Flock 1.0 or higher
  • Mozilla 1.0 or higher
  • Opera 7.0 or higher
  • Netscape 7.0 or higher
  • Internet Explorer-based browsers including Maxthon and Avant Browser

DownloadStudio adds more downloading power to your web browser:

• Advanced click monitoring catches all your download clicks
  • Download toolbar gives you one-click access to all downloading features
  • Right-click context menu lets you quickly download links, images, pages and sites while browsing.
  • Drag-and-drop support lets you download selected content from web pages

Click here to learn more about DownloadStudio and web browsers

DownloadStudio lets you get video clips and audio clips from web sites. Typically, audio and video are either flash video or streamed from special streaming servers (Microsoft, Real or QuickTime). This flash video or streaming audio or video is not a file that can be downloaded in the normal manner. DownloadStudio contains direct support for flash video so you can get any flash video you want. DownloadStudio also has support for Microsoft Streaming Servers so it can directly download WMV, WMA, WVX, WAX, ASX and ASF audio and video files. Internet radio can also be downloaded from SHOUTcast servers using DownloadStudio. DownloadStudio's Audio/Video Capture application lets you capture audio and video as it plays in your web browser or media player.

DownloadStudio lets you get flash video (SWF and FLV) from any web site - including Youtube, Google Video, MySpace, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Metacafe, Crackle and more. Just right-click on a web page and click Download Video to download the video that is playing on a web page.

DownloadStudio contains a powerful scheduler so that you can schedule your downloads for any time of day. Unlike other download managers that have one schedule for all your downloads, with DownloadStudio you can schedule each of your downloads for different times of day. You can also schedule frequent downloads for regular intervals (for example, every hour, day or week) so that you always have the latest files!

DownloadStudio lets you download and read all your favorite RSS feeds, blogs and podcasts! All popular standards are supported - RSS, RDF and ATOM. The built-in RSS Feed Reader lets you read and manage all your feeds. DownloadStudio takes subscribing to feeds a step further - letting you download all the links in feeds for complete offline viewing! Downloading podcasts is easy with DownloadStudio - all the music or video files are downloaded so that you can play them immediately on your computer, or transfer them onto your portable media player, such as an Apple iPod, Sony PSP or Microsoft Zune.

If you are not familiar with downloading, don't worry - DownloadStudio helps you no matter your level of experience. If you're new to downloading files, you can use the easy-to-use Download Wizard that guides you through step-by-step to successfully download files. Expert mode is a faster one dialog method for people more familiar with downloading. Silent downloading provides fast, no-click, no-dialog downloading from web browsers for experienced users.

DownloadStudio lets you view all your downloaded files! The built-in file browser is just like Windows Explorer - except it supports over 150 file formats so that you can quickly see thumbnails of all your files. The Instant Viewer lets you view your files full-sized and view instant slideshows. It's just like having IrfanView or ACDSee built into your download manager.

DownloadStudio organizes files for you! DownloadStudio takes categories to a new level. Typically, most download managers have categories that are just shortcuts for folders on your computer. DownloadStudio's categories use a high performance database that automatically organizes your files into virtual folders so that you can find your files fast.

No other download manager has as many "must-have" features as DownloadStudio!

Quick Start Problems

How do I hide Quick Start mode?

Go to the Options (General Page) dialog box and make sure the "Show Quick Start mode" checkbox is unchecked, or uncheck the "Show Quick Start mode" checkbox. You will need to close and re-start DownloadStudio to complete the process.

How do I show Quick Start mode?

Go to the Options (General Page) dialog box and make sure the "Show Quick Start mode" checkbox is checked. You will need to close and re-start DownloadStudio to complete the process.

Can I add my own download tasks to Quick Start mode?

Yes. If you have a special download task that you wish to use often, you can add it to the Download Wizard section of the Quick Start mode. You need to create a download template by going to Download mode and clicking the Download/Download Templates menu item.

Downloading Problems

Why did my download fail?

There can be many reasons that your download could have failed. Check these reasons:

• Check your internet connection is active.
  • If you have a firewall on your computer, check that DownloadStudio has permission to access the internet through your firewall. See your firewall's settings to do this.
  • Check that the URL that you entered in the download job is correct. Click the "Check URL" button in the Add Job dialog or Download Wizard and check the response. Try creating a Single File download job and then download again. If it fails, go to the Job Conversation View and view the full conversation between DownloadStudio and the web server. It may give you a good idea as to why the download is failing.
  • If you need to log into the web site, make sure you have entered your user name and password into the download job. Or, if the web site uses cookies for authentication (rather than HTTP/FTP standard authentication), then make sure you have logged into the web site using your web browser.
  • The web site may not allow multiple download splits/segments for a file. Try choosing one split for the download job in the Download Settings.
  • The web site may not allow multiple connections from one computer. Try reducing the number of connections used by DownloadStudio in the Job Queue View to 1.
  • The web site may check that a valid referer is being used. Go to the Download Settings dialog for the download job and enter a referer URL. Typically, the referer URL is the web page that the download link is listed on.
  • The web site may be busy or congested so your download may be timing out. Try increasing the connection timeout and receive timeout setting for the download job. Go to the Download Settings for the download job to increase these values.
  • The web site you are trying to download from may not be active. Try again later, or schedule your download for a less busy time.

Why can't I download flash video?

DownloadStudio needs Flash in Internet Explorer to be kept up-to-date - even if you use another browser such as Firefox or Opera. So, make sure that your Internet Explorer has the latest version of Flash installed. Using Internet Explorer, go to www.adobe.com and download the latest version of Flash.

If no flash video was detected by DownloadStudio, reload the web page that contains the flash video and start the flash video playing. DownloadStudio URL Sniffer should find the flash video now.

Why did my Windows streaming audio or video download job fail?

Your download job could fail for these reasons:

• The streaming media may be protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM). You cannot download this content using DownloadStudio. You can use DownloadStudio Audio/Video Capture to record the audio or video as it plays in your media player.
  • The protocol may be incorrectly set. Try setting the protocol to "mms://" for the URL (instead of "http://"). This tells DownloadStudio to treat the URL as a Windows media download.
  • If the file extension of the streaming media URL is .asx, .wax or .wvx, then this tells you that the file is a Windows media meta-file. Meta-files are small XML files that contain the actual location (or URL) of the streaming media that you want. DownloadStudio can read these meta-files and download the contents. Make sure you download the meta-file as a site download (rather than a single file download), and DownloadStudio will find and download all URLs within the meta-file.

Why can't I download files from some FTP sites?

There are several reasons that a FTP server may reject your attempts at downloading files. Check these reasons:

• Try turning on PASV mode transfer in the Options (FTP Page) dialog box.
  • The FTP server may not support multiple splits for downloads. Try choosing one split for the file in the Download Settings dialog for the job.
  • The FTP server may not support multiple connections. Try setting the number of connections in the Job Queue View to 1.

Does DownloadStudio resume broken downloads?

Yes. If your download failed for some reason or you have stopped a job, just select the download job again and click the Download/Resume button. DownloadStudio will start the download from where it left off.

My download failed, but DownloadStudio does not resume the download from where failed. It downloads the whole file again. Why?

Not all web servers support resuming. DownloadStudio will check if it supports resuming and if it does not, it will start the download from the beginning. Also, if you are using a proxy server or firewall, it can affect the ability to resume downloads. Check your proxy server/firewall documentation.

I use a firewall. Can I still use DownloadStudio?

Yes. Make sure that you have added DownloadStudio into the permitted application list in your firewall's settings so it can access the internet and download files.

I use a proxy server. Can I still use DownloadStudio?

Yes. Go to the Options (HTTP Page) and Options (FTP Page) to enter your proxy server details.

A web site does not like many simultaneous connections to it. How can I have a control the number of connection that DownloadStudio uses?

Create a Site Rule using the Options (Site Rules) dialog that specifies the maximum number of connections.

How do I set the default download folder?

Go to the Options (Downloading Page) dialog box and enter your preferred folder.

How do I enter user names and passwords for web sites that I download from regularly?

Go to the Options (Site Rules) dialog box and enter user names and passwords for your favorite web sites.

How do I set the default user name and password DownloadStudio uses to login to FTP sites?

DownloadStudio will use the user name 'anonymous'. You can set the password in the Options (FTP Page) dialog box.

Why do I keep getting prompted for the user name and password for an FTP site - even after I entered them correctly?

If you have correctly entered the user name and password for an FTP site, but keep getting prompted when downloading multiple files from an FTP site, the reason may be that the FTP server only supports one connection at a time. Try setting the number of connections in the Job Queue View to 1 and choosing one split for files in the Advanced Settings dialog box for the job.

Can I automatically check my downloaded files for viruses?

Yes. Go to the Options (After Download Page) dialog box and specify your virus checker and the file types to check.

How do I open files that I have downloaded?

Select the download job and click the Open toolbar button. This will open the file in your default associated application. For example, a downloaded web site will be opened in your web browser.

I cannot find my downloaded files on my computer?

Select the download job and click the Go To toolbar button to view the folder containing the files for the download job.

When I am downloading files, my web browser becomes very slow.

Downloading files tries to use your internet connection intensively so your downloads are as fast as possible. If you want to slow down DownloadStudio, use the Limit check box in the Job Queue View to limit the download bandwidth used by DownloadStudio.

I don't like DownloadStudio always automatically adding files to categories. How do I stop this?

Go to the Options (Categories Page) dialog box and uncheck the Use Auto Categorization check box.

I don't like DownloadStudio always creating sub-folders. How do I stop this?

Go to the Options (Downloading Page) dialog box and uncheck the Create sub-folders check box.

How do I download files from RapidShare?

Download fully supports both free and premium RapidShare and most other file sharing web sites.

In most cases, the download URLs from these sites just display a download page in your web browser and then you must wait and enter details before downloading. So, if you try to download one of these download URLs using a download manager (such as DownloadStudio), then you will just download this download html page and not the file you want. If you have a premium account with the file sharing site, then most of these sites permit direct downloading and in this case download managers like DownloadStudio will work. See the notes below for direct downloading from RapidShare.

Also, many of these file sharing sites do not allow multiple connections. Downloads may fail if you try to download with multiple splits or try to download many files at the same time.

If you are a RapidShare Premium user:

As a premium RapidShare Account holder, you can use DownloadStudio to download files successfully.

If you wish to add RapidShare download URLs directly into DownloadStudio as a download job, then you need to turn on "Direct-Downloads" in your RapidShare premium account details. If you don't turn this option on, DownloadStudio will download a redirect page to a html file and not the intended file.

To turn on direct downloading for your RapidShare premium account:

1. Go to the RapidShare website enter the "premium zone".

2. Click on the “option” button.

3. Make sure the "Direct-Downloads:" check box is checked and save your settings.

4. You can now download RapidShare download URLs directly from DownloadStudio, either by clicking on a RapidShare download URL in your web browser, or by adding the RapidShare download URL as a new download job in DownloadStudio.

Note: The RapidShare cookie in your web browser may expire from time to time. If you find that your RapidShare downloads are no longer working in DownloadStudio, then the cookie may have expired. To fix this, just log into your RapidShare account using your web browser to create a new cookie.

If you are not a RapidShare Premium user:

DownloadStudio downloads files from RapidShare free accounts. Start your web browser and go to the RapidShare download URL. Wait until the download is ready and click on the download link. DownloadStudio will catch the download link and take over the download.

Tips for better downloading from RapidShare, Megaupload, FileFront, YouSendIt and more

DownloadStudio can download from all popular file hosting sites such as RapidShare, Megaupload, FileFront, YouSendIt and more. Simply click on the download link in your web browser and DownloadStudio will take over the download.

These file hosting sites do have restrictions that you should be aware of in order to have trouble-free downloading.

Tips for Non-Premium Users

If you a non-Premium user of your file hosting site, then typically you are restricted from downloading using splits and are restricted to download only one file at a time (i.e. one connection). Read the FAQs for your file hosting site to see what are the restrictions for non-Premium users.

DownloadStudio uses Site Rules to set how many splits and how many connections to use for a site.

Upon installing DownloadStudio, a set of Site Rules were created for popular file hosting sites like RapidShare and Megaupload. You can view and edit these Site Rules any time using the Options (Site Rules) dialog box. Make sure the Site Rule for your site matches the restrictions for the site.

If your preferred file hosting site is not listed, then you can create a new Site Rule using the Options (Site Rules) dialog box.

Tips for Premium Users

If you a Premium user of your file hosting site, then typically many of the restrictions of non-Premium users are removed. You may be able to download using splits and may be able to download many one files at a time (i.e. have many connections). Read the FAQs for your file hosting site to see if there are any restrictions for Premium users.

Upon installing DownloadStudio, a set of Site Rules were created for popular file hosting sites like RapidShare and Megaupload. These Site Rules are very useful for non-Premium users. If you are a Premium user, then you should view and edit these Site Rules using the Options (Site Rules) dialog box and see if they apply to your Premium account. If your file hosting site that has no restrictions for Premium users, then you should delete the Site Rule. This will give you maximum downloading performance with DownloadStudio.

Tips for specifying your Download Settings

File hosting sites often check all the settings for a download job and if they are not set correctly, the download job will either fail or just download a HTML page. If your download is failing or just returning a HTML page, one reason could be that your download job's download settings may not be correct. You can view and edit all download settings for a download job by clicking the Download Settings button in the Add Job dialog.

You must make sure the download job adheres to the file hosting site's restrictions:

• Splits: Make sure you have set the number of splits to the maximum allowable. Typically, for non-Premium users, this is 1 split and for Premium users this may be 4 or 5 splits.
  • Connections: Make sure you have set the number of connections to the maximum allowable. Typically, for non-Premium users, this is 1 connection and for Premium users this may be 4 or 5 connections.

You must make sure the download job uses the same settings as the web browser that you used to click on the download link:

• User Agent: Make sure the user agent is set to the same as your web browser's user agent.
  • Referer: Make sure the referer is set to the web page address that contains the download link.

Time-To-Live (TTL) for Download Links

Once you click on a download link and start downloading the file, many of the file hosting sites will only let you use the download link URL for a very short time (for example, 30-60 seconds). After a short period of time, the download link URL becomes expired and you can no longer use it.

If you try to download the file again using the download link URL and the download link URL has expired, then a HTML page will be downloaded instead of the desired file. In this case, you need to go to your web browser and click on the download link again to generate a new download link URL.

Resuming Download Links

Some file hosting sites will not allow you to resume a broken or stopped download link. The download will either start again from the beginning, or a HTML page will be downloaded. In this case, you need to go to your web browser and click on the download link again to generate a new download link URL.

Site Explorer Problems

I don't understand what Site Explorer mode is useful for?

Site Explorer mode lets you enter web site addresses so you can view all the links and images contained on web pages. This helps you find URLs that you may want to download. If you find a URL that you want to download, select it and click the Download File toolbar button.

For example, you may see an interesting video on a web page but you may not be able to find the URL for it to download. You can click "Show Links" in your web browser and DownloadStudio will find all the links on the page so you can locate the URL that you are after.

The files that I browse in Site Explorer mode are not on my computer. Why not?

The Site Explorer mode does not download files while you are using it to browse web sites. It finds and lists the files that are on a web site without downloading them. To download these files, click the Download Files or Download Site toolbar buttons.

I'm getting lots of annoying popups when I use Site Explorer mode. Can I stop this?

Yes. Go to the Options dialog (Site Explorer mode) and make sure the Block popups checkbox is checked.

I cannot see my Internet Explorer favorites in Site Explorer.

Make sure the Show Internet Explorer favorites check box is turned on in the Organize Favorites dialog box in Site Explorer mode.

Why aren't the favorites I create in Site Explorer mode also shown in Internet Explorer.

The Site Explorer mode favorites are created just for DownloadStudio. You need to create favorites in Internet Explorer if you want to use them in both applications.

RSS/Podcast Reader Problems

How do I find the URL for a RSS feed or podcast?

Typically a web site will have a small "RSS" or "XML" graphic on its web page if there is a RSS feed or podcast. This is a visual cue to tell you that the web site has a RSS feed that you can subscribe to. Try clicking on the graphic and it may take you directly to the RSS feed URL. Typically, URLs for RSS feeds and podcasts will have a ".XML" or ".RSS" file extension.

If you cannot find the URL for the RSS feed or podcast, try using Auto Discover button in the Subscribe to RSS Feed dialog or Download Wizard. Enter the URL for the web site and then click Auto Discover. DownloadStudio will interrogate the web site and look for any RSS feeds. If it finds a RSS feed or podcast, it will replace the URL with the correct URL for the RSS feed.

How do I get the music or video files from a podcast?

Music and video files are listed in podcasts as special links called enclosures. Make sure you have checked the "Download enclosures" checkbox when creating the RSS feed download job. Start the download job and the podcast and all enclosures will be downloaded.

How do I download the links contained in a RSS feed for complete offline viewing?

Make sure you have increased the Link Depth to 1 in the RSS feed download job. A link depth of 1 will download all links contained in the RSS feed. You will be able to view the RSS feed and any links contained in the RSS feed offline without being connected to the internet.

You can increase the link depth further to download any subsequent links that are found on the links in the RSS feed. Be careful that you may download significant number of files if you increase the link depth too high (or set to unlimited).

How do I update my RSS feed so it is up-to-date?

Select your RSS feed in the RSS Feed Reader and then click the Update toolbar button. Or, you can create a schedule to check for updates at regular intervals (hourly, daily, weekly, etc.). To do this, double-click on the RSS feed and make sure the Check for updates checkbox is checked.

How do I stop a RSS feed from downloading?

Go to Download mode and you will see all download jobs (including RSS feed downloads) listed in the Download Job List. Locate your RSS feed download job and select it. Then, click the Stop toolbar button.

How do I change the default layout for my RSS feeds?

Select your RSS feed in the RSS Feed Reader and then select a layout from the Styles combo box in the RSS Preview. To change the default style for all new RSS feeds, go to the Options dialog (RSS Feed Reader page) and select the default layout style.

How do I stop popup windows from appearing when I preview RSS feeds?

Go to the Options dialog (RSS Feed Reader page) and make sure that the "Block popup windows in preview window" is checked. Note that turning on the popup blocker will stop you from using "Open in New Window" from the right-click menu in the Preview
window.

File Browser Problems

How do I open files that I have downloaded?

Select the download job and click the Open toolbar button. This will open the file in the default associated application. For example, a downloaded web site will be opened in your web browser.

How do I find files that I have downloaded on my computer?

Select the download job and click the Go To toolbar button. This will display the folder containing the file(s) that were downloaded for the download job.

I cannot see thumbnails when I browse my computer in DownloadStudio.

Try clicking the View/Refresh menu item (or press F5 key). Also, make sure that you are viewing thumbnails by setting the View menu to Large, Medium or Small thumbnails.

I cannot see thumbnails for certain files in DownloadStudio.

DownloadStudio can create thumbnails for many file formats. If it is not able to create a thumbnail, it will display the normal icon for the file.

Can I drag & drop the files from DownloadStudio into other applications?

Yes. DownloadStudio supports drag-and-drop into other applications. You can also use the cut, copy and paste menu commands.

Can I view full-sized images of downloaded files?

Yes. Double-click on a thumbnail and the Instant Viewer will display the full-sized image. You can zoom, pan, rotate and more.

Can I view a slideshow of images in a folder or category?

Yes. Double-click on a thumbnail to display the Instant Viewer and then click the Slideshow toolbar button. You can adjust slideshow settings by clicking the Options toolbar button.

Can I view detailed properties of downloaded files?

Yes. Click on the small "i" icon in the bottom-right corner of a thumbnail.

Internet Explorer Problems

How do I integrate DownloadStudio into Internet Explorer?

Go to DownloadStudio's Options (Web Browser Integration) dialog. It contains instructions and settings for all popular web browsers.

Click Monitoring is not working in Internet Explorer.

Check these solutions:
  • Make sure Internet Explorer Click Monitoring is turned on in the Options (Internet Explorer) dialog box.
  • Close all copies on Internet Explorer and start a new instance of Internet Explorer.
  • It's possible another application (download manager?) is also using click monitoring. Close other applications or turn off their click monitoring features. You may need to uninstall them to completely remove their click monitoring.

How do I stop DownloadStudio from trying to download files in Internet Explorer?

When clicking on a link, press and hold the SHIFT key and it will bypass DownloadStudio's click monitoring.

How do I force DownloadStudio to download files in Internet Explorer?

When clicking on a link, press and hold the ALT and CTRL keys and it will force DownloadStudio's click monitoring to catch the click and download the file. The Monitoring File Types will not be used.

The DownloadStudio toolbar is not displayed in Internet Explorer.

Check these reasons:

• Make sure DownloadStudio toolbar is turned on in the Options (Internet Explorer Page) dialog box.
  • Make sure the View/Toolbars/DownloadStudio menu item is checked in Internet Explorer.
  • Try unlocking the toolbars in the View/Toolbars menu in Internet Explorer and dragging partly hidden toolbars to new rows.
  • Make sure that "Enable third-party browser extensions" setting is turned on in Internet Explorer's options

Firefox, Flock, Mozilla & Netscape Problems

Does DownloadStudio work with Flock?

Yes. Since Flock is Firefox-based, DownloadStudio works in Flock just like it does with Firefox. To add the Download extension into Flock, follow these steps:

1. Use Windows Explorer to go to the DownloadStudio program folder
  2. Locate the file "downloadstudio.xpi". This is the DownloadStudio extension that must be added into Flock.
  3. Start Flock.
  4. In Windows Explorer, drag and drop the "downloadstudio.xpi" file onto the Flock application. Flock should display a dialog to let you install the extension into it.
  5. Restart Flock and DownloadStudio has been successfully integrated. Downloads will be taken over by DownloadStudio. Right-click menus have been added. A DownloadStudio toolbar has been added.
  6. In Flock, click the Tools/Add Ons menu item to display the Add Ons window. Locate DownloadStudio and view its options to change the way that DownloadStudio integrates with Flock.

How do I integrate DownloadStudio into Firefox, Mozilla or Netscape?

Go to DownloadStudio's Options (Web Browser Integration) dialog. It contains instructions and settings for all popular web browsers.

Click Monitoring is not working in Firefox, Flock, Mozilla or Netscape.

Check these solutions:
  • Make sure you have installed the DownloadStudio Extension into Firefox, Flock, Mozilla or Netscape. To install it, go to the Options (Firefox Page or Mozilla Page or Netscape Page) dialog in DownloadStudio and click the Install Extension button. This will install the DownloadStudio Extension into your web browser. Your web browser will display a window requesting you to confirm that you wish to install the DownloadStudio Extension. Click the Install button.
  • After installing, close all copies of your web browser and start a new instance of your web browser.
  • Make sure that the correct File Type check boxes are checked for Click Monitoring in the DownloadStudio Integration Options window in your web browser. To display the DownloadStudio Integration Options window, click the Options toolbar button on the DownloadStudio toolbar in your web browser.
  • It may be possible that another extension (download manager?) is also using click monitoring. Turn off their click monitoring features. You may need to uninstall them to completely remove their click monitoring.

How do I force DownloadStudio to download a file in Firefox, Flock, Mozilla or Netscape?

You can force DownloadStudio to download files by pressing the CTRL key when you are clicking a link. To turn this feature on, make sure you have checked the CTRL override check box in the DownloadStudio Integration window in your web browser.

How do I bypass DownloadStudio's click monitoring in Firefox, Flock, Mozilla or Netscape?

You can bypass DownloadStudio's click monitoring by pressing the SHIFT key when you are clicking a link. To turn this feature on, make sure you have checked the SHIFT override check box in the DownloadStudio Integration window in your web browser.

The SHIFT or CTRL keys in Firefox, Flock, Mozilla or Netscape no longer open new windows

You can turn off DownloadStudio's use of the SHIFT and CTRL keys by going to the DownloadStudio Integration window in your web browser and uncheck the SHIFT and CTRL overrides.

How do I hide the DownloadStudio toolbar in Firefox, Flock, Netscape or Flock?

Use View/Toolbars menu to uncheck the DownloadStudio toolbar.

I am using FireFox/Flock/Netscape/Mozilla and no flash videos are being found when I click "Download Video". Why is it not working?

DownloadStudio needs the latest version of Flash installed in Internet Explorer. Start Internet Explorer and go to the web page you are trying to download the video. If Internet Explorer tells you that Flash is not installed or needs to be updated, then please install the latest version. Once installed, close Internet Explorer and return to your web browser to try downloading the Flash Video again.

How do I hide the DownloadStudio toolbar in Mozilla?

Click on the gripper on the DownloadStudio toolbar and it will hide or show.

DownloadStudio does not start up when I click menu items or toolbar buttons in Firefox, Flock, Mozilla or Netscape.

Check that DownloadStudio is installed.

Opera Problems

How do I integrate DownloadStudio into Opera?

I do not see any DownloadStudio menus in Opera

Make sure that you have checked the Opera menus in the DownloadStudio Options dialog box (Opera page). After installing the DownloadStudio menus into Opera, go to the Preferences screen in Opera, click the Advanced tab and select Toolbars. Then, select DownloadStudio menu and click OK.

Click Monitoring is not working in Opera.

Check these solutions:

• Make sure you have installed the DownloadStudio Plug-ins into Opera. To install them,go to the Options (Opera Page) dialog box in DownloadStudio and click the Install Changes Into Opera button. This will install the DownloadStudio plug-ins into Opera.
  • After installing, close all copies of Opera and start a new instance of Opera.
  • To check that the plug-ins have been installed correctly into Opera, click the Tools/Advanced/Plug-ins menu item in Opera. It will show all plug-ins that are installed in Opera. Make sure that you see DownloadStudio Click Catcher listed. You may see several - one for each set of files that you want to catch. For each DownloadStudio plug-in, you will see what MIME types/file types it is capable of catching.
  • Make sure that the File Types are actually using the correct DownloadStudio Click Catcher plugin. In Opera, click Tools/Preferences to display the Preferences dialog box. Go to the Advanced tab and click "Downloads". Double-click on each MIME type/File type that you want the DownloadStudio Click Catcher is designed to catch. In the File type dialog box, click the "Use plug-in" radio button and choose "DownloadStudio Click Catcher".
  • It's possible another plug-in (often another download manager) is also using click monitoring and interfering with DownloadStudio. Make sure this is not selected in the File types properties for the MIME type/File type. You may need to remove these plug-ins from Opera's "plugins" folder to completely remove their click monitoring.

How do I stop DownloadStudio from trying to download files in Opera?

If you do not want to take over downloads for a particular file type, you can choose what plug-ins to install into Opera. Go to the Options (Opera Page) dialog box in DownloadStudio and choose what file types you want DownloadStudio to catch.

Note: In Opera, the SHIFT key has no effect with DownloadStudio's click monitoring.

How do I force DownloadStudio to download files in Opera?

There is currently no method to force DownloadStudio to take over a download in Opera. This is due to Opera's use of plugins for application integration.

There are other ways to download files though. Right-click on an image or link and download it using DownloadStudio.

Another technique is to copy a URL from a web page into the clipboard and use DownloadStudio's Clipboard Monitoring to catch it and download it

Note: In Opera, the ALT and CTRL keys have no effect with DownloadStudio's click monitoring.

The DownloadStudio toolbar is not displayed in Opera.

The current version of DownloadStudio does not include a DownloadStudio toolbar in Opera. We are investigating this further and will try to include this feature in a future version.

Maxthon and Avant Browser Problems

Maxthon Support

• Click monitoring. Not supported
  • Download toolbar. Not supported
  • Right-click menus. Supported (as per Internet Explorer). Select "Download Target Using DownloadStudio" to download a file.
  • Flash detection and saving. Not supported
  • Drag-and-drop support. Supported (as per Internet Explorer)

Avant Browser Support

• Click monitoring. Not supported
  • Download toolbar. Not supported.
  • Right-click menus. Supported (as per Internet Explorer). Select "Download Target Using DownloadStudio" to download a file.
  • Flash detection and saving. Not supported.
  • Drag-and-drop support. Supported (as per Internet Explorer).

Clipboard Monitoring Problems

Windows Clipboard Monitoring is not working.

Check these reasons:
  • Make sure Windows Clipboard Monitoring is turned on in the Tools menu.
  • Check that Monitoring File Types in Options (Clipboard Monitoring Page) dialog box are correct.
  • Its possible another application is also using Windows clipboard monitoring. Close other applications or turn off their monitoring features.
  • Make sure that "DownloadStudioScheduleMonitor.exe" is running. Use CTRL+ALT+DEL to display the Task Manager to view running programs.

Audio and Video Capture Problems

When I capture audio or video, my computer becomes very slow.

Capturing video and audio is very CPU, RAM and hard disk intensive. You may need a higher performance computer - we suggest a computer with at least 1.5GHz processor and 256MB RAM is recommended for audio and video capture. Also, make sure the frame rate that you are using is not too high. Start with a frame rate of 10 and increase it until your computer starts to become slow (note that DVDs use a frame rate of 30 frames per second).

When I capture video my screen initially switches mode and goes black for a second.

This is normal and nothing to worry about. You have hardware acceleration turned on in Windows and DownloadStudio turns it off whilst it is capturing video. Hardware acceleration must be turned off to ensure that the video is captured successfully. When capturing is finished, hardware acceleration is restored to your original setting.

Also, if you are running Windows Vista and have the Aero theme set, then DownloadStudio turns it off whilst it is capturing video. The Aero theme must be turned off to ensure that the video is captured successfully. When capturing is finished, the Aero theme is restored to your original setting.

When I capture video my mouse cursor flickers.

This is normal and nothing to worry about. DownloadStudio is capturing frames at the frame rate you set. The mouse cursor is being turned on and off whilst it is capturing each frame. When capturing is finished, your mouse cursor is restored to its normal setting.

There's no sound captured when I record audio or video.

Make sure your sound card can operate in full duplex mode. Try changing the Audio Source to "Stereo Mix", "Stereo Out" or another suitable audio source (click on the Recording Options button to change the audio source). Also, try selecting a different quality level when recording - go to the Sound Selection dialog (click on the Audio Quality button in the Recording Options dialog box).

My captured videos are jerky (not smooth).

This typically means that your computer is struggling to capture the window you have chosen at the frame rate you have set. Try decreasing the frame rate to (say) 10 frames per second. If that works better, then increasing the frame rate until you find the highest setting before becomes jerky (not smooth). Also, make sure you are not running other applications on your computer, so that DownloadStudio has access to as much CPU and memory as possible.

My captured audio files are poor quality.

If you are capturing as MP3 files, increase the bitrate so the quality is increased. If you are capturing as WMA files, select a profile that is CD quality or better.

DownloadStudio fails to create the audio or video file.

Make sure you do not already have the file open in another application such as your media player or the file is selected in Windows Explorer. Also, try another output format and see if that works. Contact our customer support department if problems persists.

URL Sniffer Problems

What is DownloadStudio URL Sniffer?

DownloadStudio URL Sniffer is an application that watches network and internet traffic and finds URLs that pass through this traffic. This is extremely useful for finding URLs from web pages that try to hide their links to files or from media players that do not display the URL of streaming audio or video. Once URLs are found in network and internet traffic, they are listed for you to choose and download using DownloadStudio.

Does DownloadStudio URL Sniffer slow down my computer or internet connection?

DownloadStudio URL Sniffer uses WinPcap (http://www.winpcap.org), a Windows Packet Capture Library that is widely used by many applications and computer users around the world. When DownloadStudio URL Sniffer is not running, the impact on your computer system is non-existent (i.e. it does not affect your computer's performance, internet connection or network traffic). When you have started sniffing, it will affect performance as it watches all network traffic and collects URLs. Typically though, you will not notice any performance penalty. After you have captured the URLs that you want, make sure you stop sniffing and your performance will return to its optimal state.

Does DownloadStudio URL Sniffer contain spyware, adware or malware?

DownloadStudio URL Sniffer (or any other Conceiva software product) does not contain any spyware, adware or malware. All software has been checked for viruses before release. DownloadStudio URL Sniffer does not send any information to Conceiva or to any web site.

DownloadStudio URL Sniffer does not run and reports an error about missing DLLs?

DownloadStudio URL Sniffer requires that you have the WinPcap packet capture library installed on your computer. It is installed when you install DownloadStudio and will be displayed in Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs. If you do not see it in this list, then it is not installed and you must install it.

You can download and install the latest copy of WinPcap from http://www.winpcap.org, or you can re-install DownloadStudio so that it installs WinPcap for you.

What is WinPcap and why did it install when I installed DownloadStudio?

WinPcap is a component used by the DownloadStudio URL Sniffer to capture network traffic. If you do not install WinPcap when you install DownloadStudio then you will not be able to run DownloadStudio URL Sniffer. For more information on WinPcap please visit the WinPcap FAQ’s page at http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm.

Can I uninstall WinPcap from my computer and still use DownloadStudio?

Yes. You can uninstall WinPcap from your computer and use DownloadStudio to download files. However you will not be able to run DownloadStudio URL Sniffer to find URLs.

DownloadStudio URL Sniffer is not working or finding URLs.

There may be several reasons for DownloadStudio URL Sniffer to not work correctly:

• Make sure that "Start Sniffing" toolbar button has been clicked and the application title says "DownloadStudio URL Sniffer - [Started]". Then, try using your web browser to view a web site (e.g. www.conceiva.com) and you should see some URLs appear in the list.
  • If you have multiple network devices listed in the Select Network Device dialog in DownloadStudio URL Sniffer, try selecting a different device and then click the Start Sniffing toolbar button. Try using your web browser to view a web site (e.g. www.conceiva.com) and you should see some URLs appear in the list.
  • Make sure that you are not filtering out too many URLs. Click the "Filter URLs" toolbar button to display the Filter URL pane and make sure that all checkboxes are unchecked and the Text Search edit box is empty. Try using your web browser to view a web site (e.g. www.conceiva.com) and you should see some URLs appear in the list.
  • Make sure that WinPcap is installed (it is installed when you install DownloadStudio). Go to Windows Control Panel and double-click on Add/Remove Programs. You should be able to locate "WinPcap". If it does not appear, re-install DownloadStudio or download the latest copy from http://www.winpcap.org.
  • If you are using a firewall (such as ZoneAlarm), it may be affecting the capture of network traffic by WinPcap. This may restrict DownloadStudio URL Sniffer from getting access to network and internet traffic. In this case, WinPcap's suggestion is to uninstall your firewall to fix this problem - see (http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm) for more details.
  • Visit WinPcap's FAQ page for more solutions for packet capturing problems (http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm)

How do I just view certain files (e.g. video or audio files) using DownloadStudio URL Sniffer?

Click the "Filter URLs" toolbar button to display the Filter URL pane. Click the file type checkboxes to choose what type of files you wish to view. You can also type in part of the name of a URL to only display those that have this name. For example, typing "ferrari" will display only those URLs that have the word "ferrari" in them. Finally, you can remove duplicate URLs by making sure the "Remove duplicate URLs" checkbox is checked.

How do I download a file from DownloadStudio URL Sniffer?

When you have found the URL that you are after, you can select the URL and click the "Download" toolbar button. This will start DownloadStudio and create a download job for you.

Other Problems

My anti-virus/anti-spyware software reports that there is a key logger in DownloadStudio. What is going on?

DownloadStudio Audio/Video Capture uses a system keyboard hook. This is a useful feature for you to stop recording by pressing the CTRL+F9 keys on your keyboard. This is NOT a keyboard "logger". Keyboard loggers record your keystrokes and send them to a web site. No keyboard information is recorded by DownloadStudio, nor is any keyboard information sent to Conceiva or to any other web site. It merely looks for CTRL+F9 and then stops recording. It does not affect the performance of your computer.

I see 'DownloadStudioScheduleMonitor.exe' in Task Manager. What is this?

DownloadStudioScheduleMonitor is a small (4KB) application that runs when you start Windows. It contains NO adware or spyware, and does not send any information to Conceiva or other web sites. Its purpose is to launch the main DownloadStudio application when certain events occur:

• It checks the schedules of scheduled download jobs and automatically launches DownloadStudio to begin downloading the requested files.
  • If you have Clipboard Monitoring turned on in DownloadStudio, it checks the Windows clipboard for URLs and automatically launches DownloadStudio to create a new download job.

DownloadStudioScheduleMonitor.exe lets you have the main DownloadStudio application closed when you are not using it, since it will be automatically started when a scheduled job is requested or when a URL is found in the Windows clipboard.

Removing DownloadStudioScheduleMonitor.exe from the running tasks in Task Manager will affect the performance of DownloadStudio.

How do I get the latest updates to DownloadStudio?

Click the Help/Check for Updates menu item.

My Trial Version has expired. How do I register my copy of DownloadStudio?

You need to purchase DownloadStudio and a serial number and license key will be sent to you. To purchase DownloadStudio, click the Help/Buy Online menu item to go to Conceiva's secure online purchasing system.