Thread: hw/sw button on mobile app

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default hw/sw button on mobile app

Can someone tell me what this hw button does on the mobile app? I don't see any change when I click it.

Anyone able to tell me what it does?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by some_evil View Post
    Can someone tell me what this hw button does on the mobile app? I don't see any change when I click it.

Anyone able to tell me what it does?

Cheers
    I assume you are talking about the video player, modern processors including those in phones have hardware accelerated playback (HW mode) for common video / audio codecs (such as H264, Xvid, MEPG2, H265, AC3, AAC, divx, VP8, VP9..etc) to provide smooth playback since the CPU is usually pretty weak on mobile phones, of course the supported range of codecs varies on each processor for example VP9 and H265 is probably only supported on very new processors,

SW button means software mode, meaning the CPU will be forced to decode the content common reasons to use this would be if the HW mode is glitching or not playing the content back properly or it will fall back to this mode if the HW mode doesn't support native playback, software mode usually results in stuttering or frame drops if the cpu isn't fast enough to decode properly..

since you are not seeing any change when you click it, it's probably playing in software mode already or the cpu is fast enough to decode equally in software / hardware you don't notice any change