Thread: 64 bit Mezzmo

Default 64 bit Mezzmo

Will there ever be a native 64 bit version of Mezzmo released?

Quote Originally Posted by mkhuber1 View Post
    The Mezzmo team can answer this but do be aware that Mezzmo uses the 64bit ffmpeg for transcoding, which is where the heavy lifting processing occurs.

No immediate plans as yet. As mentioned, Mezzmo ships with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of FFmpeg (see 'ffmpeg32' and 'ffmpeg64' sub-folders in your Mezzmo program folder). Upon installation, Mezzmo detects if you are running Windows 64-bit and sets Mezzmo to use the 64-bit version of FFmpeg. You can check this in the Transcoding Settings dialog. See our wiki for more details - http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...it_transcoding.

Mezzmo Android: Install it on your tablet, smartphone, Android TV or Amazon Fire to browse and stream files from your Mezzmo library to all your devices. Full details at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mez...mo_android.asp
    Mezzmo for Kodi Add-on: Install it into Kodi to stream files from your Mezzmo library directly in Kodi. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...odi_user_guide
    Mezzmo for Roku App: Install it onto your Roku to stream files from your Mezzmo library. Full details at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?...oku_user_guide
    Wiki: User Guides & Reference Manual at http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Mezzmo.DLNA.Server
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/conceiva_mezzmo
    Web: http://www.mezzmo.com

What do you hope to gain?

My private collection of movies (including old VHS which I digitalized and converted) as well as a few terabyte of personal videos of our childhood of me and my sisters, vacations in New Zealand, Asia, all through Europe...

The total collection here is 420.000 photos, 43.000 music files and over 11.000 video files (Movies, series, private)

To answer the question I get a lot when someone hears about my huge collection: Yes, everything I bought legal over the last 30 years!!

In my country it's allowed to make 1 digital copy for private use and I used that right of course for the sake of having a backup at first.
    Later however, all the DVD's and VHS, etc are stuffed in boxes in my dad's basement and use the digital copies actually for my mezzmo server so I have a nearly unlimited collection of old movies (including nostalgia from pre 1930, black white with no sound)
    up to modern movies where I convert my Bluray disc to H.264 and use the original disc as my actual backup stuffed in boxes in the basement and the copy I actually use to stream using mezzmo.

So I think my collection is one of the bigger ones. I think with my collection hardware should be stressed pretty much.

But here's the thing:
    I host on an old 3rd generation 4 core CPU with 12GB RAM on Windows x64 server 2012 R2 (also legal key, in case people keep asking stupid questions)
    because of the 32bit the RAM limitation is 4GB max for any 32bit running on 64bit windows.
    The memory mapping and allocation using 32bit pointers is actually a fraction faster compared to 64bit. On native 64bit you don't notice this and might equal on speed
    because you only need half the amount of mapping and allocation. So from CPU point of view there's not any real speed improvement and even if it is, it won't be over the
    theoretical speed improvement of 2.4% (i read somewhere years ago in a civilization analysis about this theoretical max improvement of the CPU performance from using 64bit
    vs 32bit pointers in a very specific algorithm only! Which means 99,99(% of the daily software won't even get near this max theoretical speed improvement)

So we don't need to look at the CPU performance really I think, in many cases in fact 32bit is a minuscule bit faster even. All minimal in reality, you can forget about the influence
    64bit vs 32bit has in real life.

So it comes down to RAM really.

And with my huge crazy database mezzmo using 105MB for the core program and 425MB for the streaming server.

To to crack the 4GB limitation of 32bit on mezzmo, you'd need to have 100.000+ Video files AND 400.000 music files AND 4 Million CR2 photos.

Which means your collection is bigger than netflix, amazon, and the other top 10 streaming sites worldwide!

About performance:
    this old hardware is capable of streaming to my son's iPad, my daughter's iPad, my Samsung, the Kodi on my wife PC and all of that simultaneously in HD quality
    and while doing that the server is using around 15% performance of 1 core.

I don't use trans-coding I must add!

But transcoding using ffmpeg using 64bit anyway so..

But you must know, for every single thread ffmpeg is using there's a 4GB limit.
    Which means if ffmpeg threading over 4 cores, it can use 16GB of RAM!
    if you use a ryzen 8 core you can use 32GB of ram

while this is happening on seperated threads, mezzmo client has 4GB for itself
    and mezzmo media streaming service has 4GB on it's own..

So in such a scenario of maxing out, mezzmo running on 8 cores using ffmpeg 32bit threading
    you'd have 40GB of RAM being used if ffmpeg would max out.

So even for ffmpeg I don't really notice any really speed advantages of 64bit over 32bit.

I use handbrake and ffmpeg myself a lot and tested 32bit and 64bit on several different settings
    and never ever had a difference in performance over 1 or 2% which is well within the margin
    of error.

So honestly: apart from huge game maps, I don't see most software benefiting from 64bit really.
    At least on my systems I tested 64bit vs 32bit quite a bit and never saw any notably performance gains.

So i'd be wondering what someone might put in as argument to answer this question:"what do you hope to gain?"

Mezzmo uses the 64bit ffmpeg for transcoding

Also, with the latest release we have HW transcoding support via Nvidia and IQS. I personally try to avoid transcoding at all costs and will encode material into a format that is supported by all of my endpoints (typically Kodi). The exception is web access. For that I recently purchased a 950 Nvidia card and took the load off of my CPU. I too have a very large video and audio collection and I run Mezzmo on an old AMD 8120 processor. I have 240TB of storage because I keep things in native quality. Typically my CPU runs around 10% and memory under 4GB for everything including the OS, Mezzmo, AV scanner etc...

Quote Originally Posted by jbinkley60 View Post
    Also, with the latest release we have HW transcoding support via Nvidia and IQS. I personally try to avoid transcoding at all costs and will encode material into a format that is supported by all of my endpoints (typically Kodi). The exception is web access. For that I recently purchased a 950 Nvidia card and took the load off of my CPU. I too have a very large video and audio collection and I run Mezzmo on an old AMD 8120 processor. I have 240TB of storage because I keep things in native quality. Typically my CPU runs around 10% and memory under 4GB for everything including the OS, Mezzmo, AV scanner etc...
    240TB?

Latest HDD are 8TB, so you have... ehm.. 30 8TB HDD?

WOW! I'm officially impressed

My collection with a few dozen TB is already big but yours with a few hundred just kicks ass!

I have to point out my total about half the size of yours because I have everything backed up.
    I have 5 server2012R2 licenses from my student times and using 3 of them for 3 servers which are located each 2000km from another
    here on the continent and connected per fiber internet using highest encryption on VPN.

So if 1 server breaks down, I still have 2 others.

But 240TB in total, amazing! Would mean I had to buy 750TB in total to store that on all 3 systems.

I'd be bankrupt ROFL

But anyway, yeah Mezzmo is insane stable and low performance demanding. It's optimized almost to perfection!!!

My Mezzmo server has 24 drives. 8x8TB, 8X10TB and 8x12TB and a 12 drive 48TB expansion chassis. So actually it has 288TB.. Here's a link to my computers.