Thread: Mediashareing and streaming in general

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mediashareing and streaming in general

Hi,

I have spent some time studying the different Mediaservers that can be installed in WHS. The seems to do mostly the same, but there are some differencies. There are Boxee, Twonkey, Mezzmo etc. I'v got a new LED-Samsung with LAN, and tried to stream content from the WHS using Tonkey. Some files are ok, but many are not. It seems that the not all codecs are supported. My question if there are any overview (table) where these programs are listed and compared, or if there are any articles testing the different program?I did hope that the Popcorn or other devices would not longer be necessary when the TV had LAN capabillities.

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
    http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...hp?f=13&t=9142

Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter; 06-19-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSmith View Post
    Hi,

I have spent some time studying the different Mediaservers that can be installed in WHS. The seems to do mostly the same, but there are some differencies. There are Boxee, Twonkey, Mezzmo etc. I'v got a new LED-Samsung with LAN, and tried to stream content from the WHS using Tonkey. Some files are ok, but many are not. It seems that the not all codecs are supported. My question if there are any overview (table) where these programs are listed and compared, or if there are any articles testing the different program?I did hope that the Popcorn or other devices would not longer be necessary when the TV had LAN capabillities.

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
    http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...hp?f=13&t=9142

Thanks!
    I spent quite a bit of time with this question myself and tried a number of manufactured units (i.e. Netgear, WD Live, etc...). I finally decided to roll my own with Kodi as the software (using the Mezzmo plugin) and then for hardware I use Raspberry Pis devices for anything 1080P and below. For 4K upscaling and HDMI passthrough audio I use the Intel NUCs with Libreelec (lightweight OS with Kodi underneath). There are now other options for 4K upscaling hardware such as many of the new Android boxes based upon the more current AMlogic chips. I am still warming up to the Android OS and have some reservations but here's one I have tested successfully:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes with Kodi installed. All you need to do is install the Mezzmo addon. The new Raspberry Pi 3B+ units are nice. You can build one with a case for less than $50 but adding the IR remote control can be a challenge if this is your first Raspberry Pi.

You can also search the form for hardware. There are a number of good threads. The nice thing about Kodi is that it has all of the audio and video codecs already.

Feel free to ask more questions.
    Last edited by Peter; 06-19-2018 at 07:59 AM.