Hello.

I Have been using Mezzmo to stream video up to 1080p, (1920 X 1080), to my ROKU box for over a year with excellent results. Usually I capture the video in MPEG-2, (MPG), and pre-transcode the file to Matroska, (MKV). With 4K video, (3840 X 2160), I am capturing the video in MP4. When I attempt to play the video in MP4, Mezzmo wants to transcode the file on the fly to +hls(-h264,-aac). The playback then pauses, loading periodically, and skips. The picture is not nearly as clear as the source MP4 file.

I Pre-transcoded the MP4 file to MKV. Mezzmo again wants to transcode on the fly the MKV file to +hls(-h264,-aac). The playback does similar glitches. It skips, pauses, and after about 5 minutes, freezes. The picture quality is not as good as MKV. During the transcoding on the fly, the CPU is running at 88%. It is executing 2 instances of FFmpeg.exe.

The ROKU box is connected to the network via a wired connection. The base network is Cat6a copper at 10Gbps. The ROKU box is connected to the network via a 1Gbps network switch.

The Mezzmo server is a HP Z8 G4 computer with dual Intel Xeon Gold 6144 processors at 3.5 GHz running Windows 10 Pro 64bit with 128GB memory.

The Video Library is stored on a 48TB Thunderbolt external drive with a read speed of 790 MBps.

The Mezzmo Server is connected to the network via a 10Gbps network card.

I have setup the Media Devices==> Performance tab for the ROKU box to 800Mbps, and 4K preset to 3840,2160.

Questions: Why does Mezzmo want to transcode on the fly the MP4 file?
Why does Mezzmo want to transcode on the fly the already pre-transcoded MKV file?

I would appreciate your help.