Hello,

I am evaluating Mezzmo as my DLNA server solution and am close to purchasing it. I've spent many hours reading forum posts and trying different file types. Like others, my server shoots up to 100% the moment I start a movie (FFMPEG.exe). I have a general idea what is happening, but need a solution to eliminate the need to transcode.

First, let me give you the lay of the land
  1. My network is wired gigabit.
  2. The server is a single core P4 3.4 GHz (Prescott) with 4 GB RAM.
  3. I have a DLink NAS hosting a few test files. I tried storing them on the server, but there is no performance difference. Therefore, the NAS will ultimately store my video files.
  4. My TV is a Samsung 60" LED (series 6), model UN60C6300SFXZA.

Testing Results
  • My testing source is a standard definition ISO image created by AnyDVD-HD.
  • Using different rendering applications, I created 4 files:

1. AVI file rendered at 720x404 using MPEG-4 part 2 video codec, ATSC A/52 / AC-3 audio codec, 1.5 Mbps data rate.
  2. AVI file rendered at 720x404 using MPEG-4 part 2 video codec, ATSC A/52 / AC-3 audio codec, 8 Mbps data rate.
  3. AVI file rendered at 720x408 using H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10 video codec, AAC audio codec, 1 Mbps.
  4. MKV file rendered at 720x408 using MPEG-2 video codec, ATSC A/52 / AC-3 audio codec, 8 Mbps.
  5. I also snagged a VOB file from the ISO image.

• VOB file plays within 20 seconds. Server CPU utilization at 3%. No transcoding.
  • AVI and MKV cause 90%-100% CPU utilization (FFMPEG.exe).
  • Mezzmo transcodes AVI and MKV files.
  • I played the MKV file twice. The first time, Mezzmo created the following file: 3-mpeg_ntsc-mpeg2video-ac3.mzt. The second time I played the same MKV file, it loaded fairly quickly and displayed the correct movie length. However, Mezzmo created a second file (PAL): 2-mpeg_pal-mpeg2video-ac3.mzt.

Questions
  1. What is the native file format for my TV?
  2. How can I avoid transcoding? May I assume the answer is to render in the native file format?
  3. Why does a VOB file play with minimal CPU utilization and doesn't transcode?
  4. Can I render files at 1920x1080 and expect them to stream properly (assuming no transcoding).
  5. Why did Mezzmo transcode the same file twice -- one as NTSC and the other as PAL?
  6. What is the preferred rendering application?

Thanks in advance to all who answer.