Thread: Mezzmo server sometimes takes 10-20 mins to show up

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Mezzmo server sometimes takes 10-20 mins to show up

Configuration:

Server: Windows 7 64-bit running MezzMo 2.1.4 Trial (wired network)
    Client: Sony PS3 (wired network)
    Client: Windows 7 32-bit laptop (Windows Media Player, Wifi 802.11n network)

Router: Linksys WRT310N (running the DD-WRT v24preSP2 firmware)

All LAN IPs are static leases on the router's DHCP service.

Problem: sometimes, when I open either the PS3 or WMP, the Mezzmo server will show immediately on the list. But sometimes the Mezzmo server won't show up. On the laptop if I keep WMP open, Mezzmo eventually shows up on the list of available servers - it can take 10-20 mins for this to happen.

The server desktop is using the native Windows firewall - all ports seem to have been properly opened in it by the installer (and since Mezzmo works perfectly the rest of the time, I doubt it's a firewall issue)

The issue is difficult to reproduce, because it seems to happen if Mezzmo has been running for a few hours with no client connected to it. I have enabled server logging tonight, will have to wait until I can reproduce the issue tomorrow to see if the log contains any useful info. In the mean time, anyone has any idea?

Service is still running, and restarting it will make it reappear immediately on either of the two clients.

My first impression is, it's as if there was a problem discovering the Mezzmo server, or the Mezzmo server stopping responding for a long (at least 10-20 mins) period of time.

For a while I still ran another media sharing program on my desktop - that one was still showing up even when Mezzmo wasn't. I have since uninstalled that program in case there were any conflict between the two.

Another bit of info: I never shutdown the desktop computer - I put it to sleep while I'm not home. I know the problem isn't caused by sleep mode itself (I had that issue with another media sharing program - had to restart the service when coming out of sleep) since most of the time when I come home, turn the PC on, and then the PS3 on, and Mezzmo immediately shows up just fine on the PS3. However if I try to access Mezzmo again later during the evening (either with the laptop or the PS3) then Mezzmo is MIA.
    Last edited by RMerlin; 03-19-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added last part about sleep mode