I was very pleased when I tried Mezzmo - it was the easiest software to drive my media from my PC to my TV.

But now I've got greedy. I want to have it properly organised so that my wife can find her way around my movies. (I can do it, myself, because I know the folder structures).

It's sad that most of my requirements would be achieved by correctly populating the Artist(s), Genre, and Year fields without keying these into a large number of movies - but I can't achieve it.

I've tried tips from another thread, which advises using tinyMediaManager and/or MediaMonkey. I've also discovered Ember Media Manager. None works in a simple, consistent way without bugs. It's impossible to differentiate between wrong actions and bugs. The whole of this sector seems to assume that only nerds do this kind of thing - so there don't appear to be any instructions included with any software.

My best hope seems to be if I can get Mezzmo to process the .nfo files that I can get out of tinymediamanager, I could then modify these as required.

But I've done this:

Generated some .nfo files using tinymediamanager. These are generated in the same folder as the movie, which are all mp4's.
I have Mezzmo set to "Get text metadata and artwork fromXBMC (.nfo/tbn) files".
I have the radio button "Update all attributes ..." set.
I then delete my 'test' folder from Mezzmo and add it again.
The contents of the .nfo file don't appear.

Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong, or point me to a Dummies Guide to actioning .nfo file updates in Mezzmo?