Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very low quality of Thumbnails on Mezzmo Kodi-plugin on Android TV Box

Default Very low quality of Thumbnails on Mezzmo Kodi-plugin on Android TV Box

Hi, since today I use Mezzmo and I am very happy with it.
    But I have a problem.

I am using an Android TV-Box with Kodi, and there I am using the Mezzmo plugin.
    Kodi is vanilla and even the UI from Kodi I use. But sadly something is not right with my Thumbails:

All is fine, the backgrounds, the actor pictures, etc. except the Thumbnail of the media is totally blurry and in bad quality.
    I already tried to change the Options > Browsing Files > Thumbnail Sizes and set it there to 600x600 but even that did not look good.

So, I want to ask if I can avoid that 600x600 limitation somehow.
    It is really sad right now, because the backgrounds/fan arts looks so great in full 1920x1080, and then for no reason at all the thumbnails look so horribly out of place with that low quality..

Thank you really much.
    I am nearly finished with everything, it is just that thumbnail problem and a few other small things. Other than that I am really happy with Mezzmo!

EDIT: Now not even the 600x600 show up anymore and I don't know why.. It is now clearly lower than 600x600x.. All that I want is to have my 480x720 Kodi Thumbnails

SOLUTION: Go to reply no.14
    Last edited by Undertaker555; 04-26-2022 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker555 View Post
    But I have a problem.

Kodi is vanilla and even the UI from Kodi I use. But sadly something is not right with my Thumbails:

All is fine, the backgrounds, the actor pictures, etc. except the Thumbnail of the media is totally blurry and in bad quality.
    I already tried to change the Options > Browsing Files > Thumbnail Sizes and set it there to 600x600 but even that did not look good.

It is really sad right now, because the backgrounds/fan arts looks so great in full 1920x1080, and then for no reason at all the thumbnails look so horribly out of place with that low quality..

Thank you really much.
    I am nearly finished with everything, it is just that thumbnail problem and a few other small things. Other than that I am really happy with Mezzmo!

EDIT: Now not even the 600x600 show up anymore and I don't know why.. It is now clearly lower than 600x600x.. All that I want is to have my 480x720 Kodi Thumbnails

From our discussion in the Kodi forums, I believe you changed the Thumbnail setting after you imported your media or before you imported your media ? If you changed it after you imported your media then I think you'll need to regenerate the thumbnails at a higher resolution. There may also be a device level setting for thumbnails which could be limiting resolution. Peter, from Mezzmo, can help more with these two items. What device profile are you using in the Media Devices for this Android system ?

Jeff

Hi, thanks for joining the thread.

From our discussion in the Kodi forums, I believe you changed the Thumbnail setting after you imported your media or before you imported your media ?
    No, after that I removed the whole library again, because it was just to experiment a bit. Now I began from scratch while I kept the 600x600 setting from before.
    Interestingly, before (in the experiment) it worked with 600x600, but now since I began from scratch it somehow doesn't.

And even if the 600x600 work.. they are not the best. There are just a few more pixel missing to make me happy. 480x720 is Kodi standard as far as I could see from the exported thumbnails.
    So this is what I really would like to achieve.

Is Peter often here, or do I have to contact him somehow?

EDIT: Btw. I checked the appdata folder, and in there the posters folder. The posters (thumbnails that I mean) have all 217x320, no matter how many times I scan the files. The original poster files have 480x720. It also seems like it would simply ignore my settings from Options > Browsing Files > Thumbnail Sizes, because even if I set there a minimum value, it still uses the 320 size..
    But as I said, even if it would be 600x600 it would just be a compromise. I really wonder why the 720 size is not an option.

And how will I find out what device profile I am using?
    All I can say is that my Host PC with the Mezzmo Server is a Windows PC, and that the Android TV-Box is a Xiaomi MiBox (I think MiBox 4). On that I am using the Mezzmo-plugin for Kodi.
    Last edited by Undertaker555; 04-26-2022 at 12:39 AM.

But I have a problem.

Thank you really much.

Peter typically comes on later due to the timezone difference. You can see the device profile setting in the Media Devices option in the main GUI window.

Jeff

Generic Device NTSC.

Also, I just posted an edit to my previous post, while you replied.

Generic Device NTSC.

Also, I just posted an edit to my previous post, while you replied.
    Ok, that Device Profile needs to be changed to Kodi since you are using Kodi. Otherwise you may end up transcoding things and such. I looked at the device profile file for NTSC generic and Kodi. If I am reading them right the thumbnail size for generic is 160x160 and 320x320 for Kodi. So changing to Kodi should help. If so then we should be able to modify the device profile file and get it higher. Again Peter can help here to confirm.

Jeff

So I dug through some older forum threads to confirm my thoughts. To go with larger thumbnails higher than 320x320 with Kodi you'll need to edit the device profile (kodi.prf file located in C:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo\DeviceProfiles) . Make a backup copy of it. Then open with Notepad. Near the bottom you will find:

<avcontainer id="jpeg" name="jpeg_tn" mimetype="image/jpeg" encode="1" baseline="1" dlnaprofile="JPEG_TN" preferredthumbnail="1" supportschunked="0">
    <image>
    <format id="jpeg" mimetype="image/jpeg" encode="1" codec="98" quality="2">
    <maxdimensions width="320" height="320" />
    <maxbits>24</maxbits>
    </format>
    </image>
    </avcontainer>

Change the maxdimensions and save. Then stop / restart the Mezzmo server from the GUI .

Jeff

Good ok, so the Device Profile is now Kodi. I guess that is anyway better to do that.
    But it didn't allow me to change to higher than 600x600.
    And then, actually it is still for some reason stuck on 213x320, no matter what I scan.

Before that it worked. I really don't know what I am doing different than before.
    I had 600x600 working, and suddenly after I deleted my experimental library again, it did not scan 600x600 anymore.

I will try to search that Profile File, because earlier today I found a thread somewhere talking about that.

Good ok, so the Device Profile is now Kodi. I guess that is anyway better to do that.
    But it didn't allow me to change to higher than 600x600.
    And then, actually it is still for some reason stuck on 213x320, no matter what I scan.

Before that it worked. I really don't know what I am doing different than before.
    I had 600x600 working, and suddenly after I deleted my experimental library again, it did not scan 600x600 anymore.

I will try to search that Profile File, because earlier today I found a thread somewhere talking about that.

You will likely need to run maintenance (Maintain Playlist) and regenerate your thumbnails. I'd start with a single folder selecting only Update view preview Thumbnail , Video files and Folders / Playlists.

Jeff

I did it and it just downloaded the thumbnail once again in the same size 213x320..
    What actually happened? I feel like I need to do a reinstall of the whole Server.

It does not even matter if I download the thumbnails, or if I use the thumbnails from my Kodi backup, because it just scales them down for some reason.
    I even tested it with paint, I drew some lines on one of my Kodi thumbnails, and then imported it. And yes, it got scaled down to again 213x320.. always that same number.
    Not one of my Thumbnail Sizes (small, medium, large) have that size. So where does that number come from?

EDIT: Good news! After changing the Poster image sizes in "Streaming" at Options, it now at least in my appdata folder saves the thumbnails as the full size 480x720 files!!!
    BUT.. on my TV Box it still is blurry and not full size, instead still some kind of down scaled version. I don't understand where that is coming from.
    Last edited by Undertaker555; 04-26-2022 at 03:12 AM.