I have been working with the trial version of Mezzmo for some time, trying to get it to work with and stream a variety of video formats to my new Sony Bravia KDL-EX720 series TV. This TV can directly play a variety of video formats, in fact it can play all the types I have from my various cameras except for older AVI files created by earlier model Canon cameras. HD mp4 files on Sony cameras and full HD mts files from my new Canon camcorder play just fine on the Sony Bravia directly. So when I setup Mezzmo to try out, I was expecting that when I selected a Sony KDL series device profile that Mezzmo would send files that the Sony can natively play directly without transcoding - doesn't appear to be the case. Strangely, even after trying several profiles that would appear to be for the Sony, most formats still transcode unnecessarily. I have worked with Mezzmo customer support and they provided a modified Sony KDL profile that transcodes the AVI files (which it did already) but sends the mp4's direct to the TV. This profile works great. I have sent them a note today asking for a modified profile that would send the mts files direct also, and hope that I can get that.

Here is my primary question: Does anyone have a document or instructions on how to modify the profiles ourselves so that I don't have to keep going to Mezzmo tech support back and forth to get modified versions? I can open them in notepad, and edit them, but don't really know what commands do what, etc. so it is just trial and error. So far I can't get a modified one to work right so I am waiting on Mezzmo to modify it for me. Is there a reference document?

Also, it would seem to me that Mezzmo needs more flexibility with device profiles such that users can easily make changes for their hardware. For example, it would be great if you could just click on the device that Mezzmo found on the network and open up a dialog to TELL it what the file types are that the device can play natively without transcoding. The owners manual usually tells you for the device what it is capable of playing, or the user can try a file and if it plays then great. Once you know what it can play, then you should be able to setup the profile the way you want it to. It seems impractical for Mezzmo to keep track of all the various devices out there and make profiles that are correct all the time. For the Sony KDL series for example, there are several profiles that seem to maybe be for that device, but none really seem a perfect fit. There are too many profile choices to just try everything to see what works! As a minimum, every single device profile should have in it a comments section that CLEARLY describes specifically what that profile is designed to do for various formats. I.e. which formats it passes through, which formats it transcodes, etc.

I tried turning off transcoding for all connected devices, and also tried to setup files to send original version which is feature of version 2.5, but when I do that the Bravia no longer shows any of the files at all. They only way they show up to browse and play on the Bravia is for transcoding to be enabled (even when the device profile doesn't actually transcode a particular file type). So apparently Mezzmo does something else when transcoding is enabled to enable the Bravia to see the files even when not actually transcoding. This seems like odd behavior too. Anyone else seen that?

Yes, I am new to Mezzmo so my hope is that this forum will bring some good answers so that I can make things work the way I would like. I did some basic searches of this forum and didn't find the answers, so if they are here already please point me in the right direction. I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks.